Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Boomers Ruined Everything

Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 555 Posts
Default The Boomers Ruined Everything

The Boomers Ruined Everything

The Baby Boomers ruined America. In a variety of different areas, the Baby Boom generation created, advanced, or preserved policies that made American institutions less dynamic.

Boomers didnít only make rules that nudge young people out of homeownership. They also made new rules restricting young peopleís employment.The social norm requiring degrees for virtually any middle-class job is one largely invented by Boomers and their parents, and enforced by those generations.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 227 Likes on 137 Posts

As a Boomer, I acknowledge that our generation has no shortage of degrees proclaiming how smart we are, but our children will probably be the first generation in a very long time, and perhaps the history of the world, that is worse off than their parents.
So are we really as smart as we tell ourselves we are? I think not.

Doug (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,548 Likes on 4,860 Posts

With no college education I was able to raise a family on a single income, comfortably. Nowadays the norm seems to be both parents working, both college educated.

The world has changed in many ways.

I dunno how we got onto this thing about every kid needing a college education. Crazy.

I'm a bit peeved at some of my fellow boomers who are convinced their success in life is purely the result of their own personal magnificent wonderfulness without acknowledging any other contributing factors

Cheers
DD

dvjag (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Received 1,732 Likes on 1,452 Posts

The difference that has me stumped about home ownership is that when I was young (and not just me) I bought a cheaper house with old furniture from family and friends and concentrated on the mortgage working two jobs. It would appear today that young people want the nice house, car, appliances
and electronics from day one........just my observation.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
Grant Francis (06-28-2019), RudyF6 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 914 Likes on 446 Posts

I was born after the boomers but before Generation X. My generation has no name.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daf11e View Post
The difference that has me stumped about home ownership is that when I was young (and not just me) I bought a cheaper house with old furniture from family and friends and concentrated on the mortgage working two jobs. It would appear today that young people want the nice house, car, appliances
People from your parents generation probably complained that you expected your starter house to have indoor plumbing, seeing how their starter house had an outhouse.

Just my observation.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 246 Likes on 183 Posts

Boomers ruined everything... your welcome.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Received 1,732 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
People from your parents generation probably complained that you expected your starter house to have indoor plumbing, seeing how their starter house had an outhouse.

Just my observation.

Not at all , they were happy to see us enter the housing market.......this was in 1970.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daf11e View Post

Oh, I dunno

Lots of different kids with different upbringings and expectations.

My now-adult kids buy used furniture almost exclusively and 8-10 year old cars, etc.

Appliances? Like a dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, and microwave oven? It's not like those are extravagances by today's standards.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2019, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 463 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam View Post
I was born after the boomers but before Generation X. My generation has no name.
I'm considered a millennial (1987). Obviously you can do worse than having no generational name!

Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 AM
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO its not a single generation to blame for todays ills.
The two largetst contributing factors are:
1. A departure from Judaeo Christian values.
2. Fractional reserve banking.

The fix for #1 -> https://www.biblegateway.com/ Read, believe, behave
The fix for #2? Well.. it would be messy but your journey can begin here ->

Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
I disagree with framing this issue in such light. Peterson and few others push this idea, but they fail to define what they exactly mean by Judeo-Christian values. So it becomes an all encompassing term that is interchangeable with "Good old times". This conveniently masks a lengthy and oppressive period prior to Reformation and Enlightenment where Christianity was not a force of good.

I like to think about the current decline of liberalism as a combination of the following factors: replacement of traditional religions (tried and tested religions like Christianity) with Feminism, Environmentalism, Diversity and Inclusivity (new and unproven religions lacking established dogma); and catastrophic collapse of dignity culture to be replaced with victimhood culture. Raise of authoritarianism described in the article is a consequence of these changes.

Religion, as with any other social order, requires certain degree of testing before it can be declared functional. For example, I don't see Soviets purging party ranks to get rid of "undesirable elements" categorically different from Feminists purging their ranks of TERFs or Catholic Church prosecuting Waldensians. All of these are religious-based cultural wars.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
80sRule (06-26-2019), Doug (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM
Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug View Post

My now-adult kids buy used furniture almost exclusively and 8-10 year old cars, etc.

Appliances? Like a dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, and microwave oven? It's not like those are extravagances by today's standards.

Cheers
DD
They have no choice when they earn twenty dollars an hour if they are lucky.

Plus, thanks to depreciation new cars don't make much financial sense. I was looking at used 2017 XE prices recently and you can buy them for $18k. That's roughly half the price of what the same car costs new. Wait another two years and they'll be ten grand or less.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
They have no choice when they earn twenty dollars an hour if they are lucky.
Right.

I was earning twice that 30 years ago, with no college education, in a job that was arguably less difficult and responsibility-laden than my own kids have today.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 AM
Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
IMO its not a single generation to blame for todays ills.
2. Fractional reserve banking.

The fix for #1 -> https://www.biblegateway.com/ Read, believe, behave
The fix for #2? Well.. it would be messy but your journey can begin here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBPN-MKefA&t=11s
You know you could have a valid point on your number 1 reason for today's problems. I wasn't raised in a church but grew up with lots that were and have met lots of people that claimed to be christian being self-employed and the thing that always reaches out and strikes me in the face is their contempt for their fellow man.

I was always of the assumption that the teaching of Christianity was the love of you neighbor not the hatred and bigotry so many display towards someone different from them today. In my younger days I would think what a hypocrite but as I've gotten older and I would like to think wiser instead of thinking hypocrite I think if you're this kind of person after going to church on a regular basis trying to be a better person then what the hell kind of person would you be if you weren't in church on a regular basis.

When people start talking about their christian values I always think about one of Gandi's quotes where when talking to a group of westerners and the subject of religion comes up his response was to paraphrase something along the line of
I love your Christ Its your Christians I dislike because they're nothing like your Christ

80sRule (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 463 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
I disagree with framing this issue in such light. Peterson and few others push this idea, but they fail to define what they exactly mean by Judeo-Christian values. So it becomes an all encompassing term that is interchangeable with "Good old times". This conveniently masks a lengthy and oppressive period prior to Reformation and Enlightenment where Christianity was not a force of good.

I like to think about the current decline of liberalism as a combination of the following factors: replacement of traditional religions (tried and tested religions like Christianity) with Feminism, Environmentalism, Diversity and Inclusivity (new and unproven religions lacking established dogma); and catastrophic collapse of dignity culture to be replaced with victimhood culture. Raise of authoritarianism described in the article is a consequence of these changes.

Religion, as with any other social order, requires certain degree of testing before it can be declared functional. For example, I don't see Soviets purging party ranks to get rid of "undesirable elements" categorically different from Feminists purging their ranks of TERFs or Catholic Church prosecuting Waldensians. All of these are religious-based cultural wars.
On that same note, I was raised Catholic and genuinely find the more conservative protestant sects the most vile towards people like me (lesbian living in Christian Reformed West Michigan). I don't need a religion to tell me not to be a shitbag to people. My non-religious values of be nice and be responsible don't need a dogma to exist. I don't necessarily believe in Karma, but I do believe that if you're nice to people, you're less likely to bring out bad behavior in others, just like if you're a jerk, eventually you offend the wrong person and they'll be a jerk right back. After all these statements, religion isn't the problem and I don't dislike it, it's crappy people being crappy and using religion as a justification that are the problem; and they'd be crappy with or without believing Jesus has their back. Some of the best people I've ever met were very religious, but they didn't spend a lot of time talking about it, but they definitely spent the time doing right by others and living the teachings.

The idea of the good old days is most remembered by people who were in the advantaged classes seeing others come up and moving their cheese. It's great when you are part of the ruling class, not so great when you are the ruled.

TERFs are an interesting concept to me, and I'm surprised you know the term as I am not sure it is that mainstream (no offense meant to you!). I won't try to unpack it. I will say I believe in female equality, but honestly a lot of the execution of modern feminism is about pushing men down rather than elevating women to the same plane; and often the practices are just the same as previous discrimination just pointed at the formerly advantaged demographic.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 AM
rbr
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Touche, Swain! Some of the meanest people I have ever met sing in the choir every Sunday. I think the majority of people the world over want nothing more than to be left alone to live their lives in peace, without activists, moralists, zealots, and missionaries of every persuasion trying to tell them how to do it. This applies to US legislative bodies as well as authoritarian foreign governments. I do also feel that if those under repressive regimes put as much thought and effort into local change as they do into migration, they might meet with success at home. OTOH, this country does need courageous people who WANT to be American and WANT to work, so turning them away ***** nilly might not be the best idea. Maybe we should just teach them English and let the free market function. (not valid in Calif., Illinois, Conn., NY, and NJ)

"Old enough to remember when Democratic states were red, and Republican were blue"

Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by swayne View Post
You know you could have a valid point on your number 1 reason for today's problems. I wasn't raised in a church but grew up with lots that were and have met lots of people that claimed to be christian being self-employed and the thing that always reaches out and strikes me in the face is their contempt for their fellow man.

I was always of the assumption that the teaching of Christianity was the love of you neighbor not the hatred and bigotry so many display towards someone different from them today. In my younger days I would think what a hypocrite but as I've gotten older and I would like to think wiser instead of thinking hypocrite I think if you're this kind of person after going to church on a regular basis trying to be a better person then what the hell kind of person would you be if you weren't in church on a regular basis.
What contempt? Calling out and avoiding sin is what Christians are supposed to do. Being nice to your neighbor comes second. I don't know if you have ever seen Church Militant on YouTube but you should watch the videos sometime. They identify the liberalization that occurred in the Catholic Church post Vatican II Council. The humanist Church of Nice - judge noone and nothing and just be nice!

I recently started going to a tradional Catholic Church where they hold Latin Mass and the folks were all very friendly to the new guy. I didn't see any contempt. Sometimes I get approached by Protestants passing out pamphlets and they likewise are very cordial. This contempt for fellow man is what I see in liberals; along with the smugness and aggression if you don't agree with their world view.
When people start talking about their christian values I always think about one of Gandi's quotes where when talking to a group of westerners and the subject of religion comes up his response was to paraphrase something along the line of
I love your Christ Its your Christians I dislike because they're nothing like your Christ
Sounds like Gandhi molded Christ to his image and based on this false Jesus he judged Christians erroneously.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
My non-religious values of be nice and be responsible don't need a dogma to exist.
If you ask just about anyone, they will say pretty much the same thing, but I don't think this holds true on the population level. Most people do need dogma to function.

I am an agnostic non-believer (i.e. non-preaching atheist) and came to realization that most people require a framework of dogma and values, and if one isn't available they tend toward deep irrationality (e.g. conspiracies). Reformed Christianity used to provided a decent framework, but for whatever reason Western World abandoned it. What it was replaced with is in many cases is far worse. Take Environmentalism for example - taken to logical conclusion it leads to collapse of industrial society followed by mass starvation and billions of dead people. Take Feminism for example - taken to logical conclusion it leads to a population collapse within one generation. Take Communism as example - before it was largely abandoned it left hundreds of millions dead. Christianity is nowhere near as harmful even in its worst dark ages excesses. Yet, people in crisis of faith flock to these new religions in favor of old religions. So yes, atheists won against Christianity. What came to replace turned out to be much worse.
Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
TERFs are an interesting concept to me. I won't try to unpack it.

It is nothing short of fascinating. Advocating female-centric view and acknowledging biological difference is now viewed as anti-Feminist and labeled TERF. This is direct consequence of holding illogical and counter-factual view that women are the same as men - they are not, both psychologically and physiologically. So personally, I take vicarious pleasure from seeing all this conspicuous self-consumption unfold.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Default Good Points SinF

I have been saying that feminism actually strives to make women more man-like. Not surprising as liberalism fundamentally deals in inversion. Funny how during the "oppression" years women tended to be better mannered, had more kids, and were generally more feminine.

Some more examples:

-We need more diversity! Yet they never state exactly how much diversity is enough. Have they ever said - "okay, we now have enough and don't need anymore?" Taken to its logical conclusion it actually does away with real (global) diversity if you continue to mix everyone up.

-Inclusion but not for straight White men.

-White men are oppressive yet here we are running our mouths completely unhindered in a society built by and maintained by WM.

-They encourage kids and teens to "be who they are" only if said youth are inclined towards gender dysphoria. I have never seen them host a gender confirmation party to assert that one was indeed born the proper gender.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Boomers Ruined Everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: