Buy an impact wrench! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy an impact wrench!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default Buy an impact wrench!

I bought an impact wrench about a year ago and it is undoubtedly the best tool I've ever purchased. Taking off a wheel literally takes about 30 seconds with an impact wrench. And that's if you're going slow. A floor jack is a big help, too. I don't know how I ever survived without an impact wrench. I got this one which was only $24 with the 20% off coupon that's in the back of just about every car magazine. Of course, you need a compressor, too.

The second tool which I consider indispensable is a nice floor jack. Harbor Freight also sells those for less than $60. I swear I'm not a Harbor Freight shill, I just like tools, and they have decent tools for cheap prices.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Took your advice Sam. Bought an impact wrench..........uh,....about two years ago. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I have enough things that need doing on my xkr, I'm sure it'll see some use..........eventually..........when it warms up. They're predicting snow again here for the next three days. I am sooooooooooo ready for spring. Bought my xkr in November, top hasn't been down yet.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanked 1,201 Times in 708 Posts

A decent Air Ratchet Wrench can also be very useful.

Can't have too many trolley jacks, unless someone has 'borrowed' one I have 4, even keep a small 2ton permanently in the trunk.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

I am contemplating buying an impact gun as well. Brand is DEWALT . Still, been on the fence what model to buy .
Option 1 :
Either an electric model that can be run by 110/220 V but to get it to run supposedly in a 12V car socket I need to buy an inverter as well

Option 2 :
Not to mess with inverter , just buy a battery powered model and they also come with 2 batteries and each has enough juice up to 30 minutes .

Each model has its advantages and disadvantages . Electric models can churn out up to 440 Nm/Torque .
Battery powered models only 195 Nm/ Torque but I mean only .Well, considering Jaguar requires 150 Nm/ Torque to tighten the bolts . 195 is fairly more than enough

Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,066 Posts

cadillac, just remember in the world of cordless tools, everytime you need to use it the damn batteries are out of charge. Murphys Law!

Sam I have both pneumatic and and electric.... If you don't have an air compressor the electric works fantastic!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM

I luv trolley jacks!
I bought a small one long time ago which I carry in the boot, and a couple of years ago I was presented with an ENORMOUS trolley jack (the size used by tyre fitters) after my ex's #2 expired with bowel cancer. If he's reading this from wherever, be sure it's being put to good use on my Jaguar.
I agree about cordless drills/tools the batteries ARE ALWAYS flat just when you want to use 'em; I have a good old "Bosch" 230volt jobbie that never lets me down. It's also a lot more powerful that a battery one.
But I DO like the idea of an electric impact driver; I once hired an electric hammer drill to break up some concrete, heavy brute it was too. It was just as good as those pro. pneumatic or hydraulic ones the road menders use.
Leedsman.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Cadillac, be careful when tightening the lug nuts. It's easy to over-tighten them with the impact wrench. I just use mine to get them snug then I finish with a torque wrench.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Best tool that I ever got was this.

Great for making breakfast and doing work around the house.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

OK, you win.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'll bet my impact wrench was a lot cheaper.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,031 Times in 699 Posts

I'm afraid to use my impact wrench on my stainless steel lug nuts that were custom made for me by DpezXK8 - he's part machinist, part artist! (remember this thread?)...so I use the manual torque wrench for on/off duties in the garage. I mean, they are after all, practically irreplaceable. So far, they haven't a nick on them.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanked 4,657 Times in 4,183 Posts

I bought a 12v one for about 15 bucks (on offer at Checkers) to get the crankshaft pulley nut off the wifes car, worked a treat, I haven't used it much since.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Friarshuck View Post
I'll bet my impact wrench was a lot cheaper.
And less maintenance

For those that have used both air and electric half inch drive impact drivers ... how do they compare?

Years ago, the air impact would get fasteners off where the electric had failed miserably.

Has the situation changed? The boxes on the electrics all claim 200-250 foot-pounds, but that's just so much ink.

The interest is mainly for those seemingly frozen/loctited caliper bracket bolts.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by norri View Post
I bought a 12v one for about 15 bucks (on offer at Checkers) to get the crankshaft pulley nut off the wifes car, worked a treat, I haven't used it much since.
Any chance of a picture?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

LOL, thanks guys . This is why I am thinking of buying an electric model but batteries can hold up to 1200 times charges circle providing that you maintain them well and don't forget to charge them periodically when out of use .
As Rev said , it's pretty easy to over tighten them which is not good but battery models give you a slender chance for it .

Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 AM

I'd be lost without mine. It's just a cheap 1/2 air gun that I've had since sometime in the 70s. I also use a Dewalt cordless drill for zipping screws and small fasteners that you can get a shot at.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanked 4,657 Times in 4,183 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
Any chance of a picture?
Sadly no, the gun is resting in AZ and I'm working in SC.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by norri View Post
Sadly no, the gun is resting in AZ and I'm working in SC.
Um.... when you get a chance then

Or, how about a link to the tool on a vendor site? Then it could be matched up visually to without regard to brand.

The crankshaft bolt is one of the tightest fasteners on any car. A 12v impact that can handle that is truly impressive. Especially for apartment parking lot dwellers with no access to power or air lines.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Plumsauce,
Many, many years ago, I worked with a center pivot irrigation outfit that used electric impact wrenches to install pivots. Now, these were expensive, cost as much as the better air guns, but they worked well. Developed plenty of torque. In the long run though, I don't think they lasted as long as an air impact. All my opinion of course.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Friarshuck View Post
Plumsauce,
Many, many years ago, I worked with a center pivot irrigation outfit that used electric impact wrenches to install pivots. Now, these were expensive, cost as much as the better air guns, but they worked well. Developed plenty of torque. In the long run though, I don't think they lasted as long as an air impact. All my opinion of course.
The reason that I am asking is about the same.

Many, many years ago I started at a shop on truck reefers. There were air and electric impacts in use. The air impacts *always* got the fasteners off where the electric had failed.

So, I am trying to find out if they have gotten any better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy an impact wrench!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: