Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy an impact wrench!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by norri View Post
I'm working in SC.
STILL?????

norri I thought that was a month and a half deal. My offer is still good, I am willing to drive an hour and buy you a beer or 19!

Plus I would love to see that behemoth up close

Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Real car mechanics use a 1/2" impact driver and a 3/8" air ratchet constantly. I recently found a new 1/2" driver @ Harbor Freight on sale for $20--my last one just like it lasted 19 years. The cheaper impact drivers have just enough torque for a car wheel without breaking bolts, etc. Professional mechanics will spend $150 for Ingersol-Rand or more for SnapOn drivers, but they're not needed for an amateur like myself.

I think the best tools for any Jaguar owner are a quality set of jumper cables and a Battery Tender battery maintainer. They get the most use of any tools I have.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bamaman For This Useful Post:
DavidYau (03-14-2019)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I have a cheapo Power-Fist 1/2 electric, along with a set of their nylon sleeve sockets, that is a god send with three kids with cars that all run summer and winter wheels. Saves Daddy's back a lot of pain every spring and fall.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd View Post
I have a cheapo Power-Fist 1/2 electric, along with a set of their nylon sleeve sockets, that is a god send with three kids with cars that all run summer and winter wheels. Saves Daddy's back a lot of pain every spring and fall.
Daddy should complete the kids' education by instructing them on how to do the changeover

Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I think the best tools for any Jaguar owner are a quality set of jumper cables and a Battery Tender battery maintainer. They get the most use of any tools I have.
Don't forget an elm scanner as well!!!!

Back when I purchased the electric from Harbor Freight (many moons ago) I was broke and had no air compressor, I am not a fan of cheap tools but the thing hasn't failed me yet. I break it out on occassion just to remind me of the good ole days.

I have a Husky 3 speed pneumatic now with an IR compressor, they have never met there match!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanked 4,663 Times in 4,188 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag View Post
STILL?????

norri I thought that was a month and a half deal. My offer is still good, I am willing to drive an hour and buy you a beer or 19!

Plus I would love to see that behemoth up close
Yes, still here, I will probably be around till sometime next Spring.

As for seeing my baby, you wouldn't believe the security they have on this site, the owners are very touchy for various reasons.

I was almost going to offer to help hand you wrenches when you were working on Joel's car but ended up working that weekend.

We'll need to work on that beer idea!

Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Real car mechanics use a 1/2" impact driver and a 3/8" air ratchet constantly.
Do you go water sking in your spare time?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM

I treated myself to one of these. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...nt-kit/2662-22

$729 here in Australia with two batteries. Best tool I have ever purchased.

The Following User Says Thank You to pugaree For This Useful Post:
plums (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pugaree View Post
I treated myself to one of these. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/c...nt-kit/2662-22

$729 here in Australia with two batteries. Best tool I have ever purchased.
"450 ft-lbs of torque"

ok, that's more like it!

BTW, further looking found that the 3/4" drive version, same physical size, has 525 ft-lbs specified. For about $50 more.

Last edited by plums; 02-28-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

$729??? My $24 impact wrench works great and I'll be able to replace it 30 times before I've spent $729. Plus I'll never have to worry about a dead battery.

Having said that, I'm super-envious of you.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam View Post
$729??? My $24 impact wrench works great and I'll be able to replace it 30 times before I've spent $729. Plus I'll never have to worry about a dead battery.

Having said that, I'm super-envious of you.
Yes, but apartment dwellers sometimes have *very* limited choices.

Give us a us a prayer Reverend Sam!

Last edited by plums; 02-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
Yes, but apartment dwellers sometimes have *very* limited choices.

Give us a us a prayer Reverend Sam!
LOL! You don't want me praying for you. That would be like using Kim Jong Il as a character reference.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Due to my late brother and now father's shop, I've had tons of experience with air tools over the years.

My brother also has a snap-on cordless impact wrench, for convenience. It doesn't have the torque to do half the things you try to do with it. Especially if you're trying to do a 4 tire / wheel change.

On the other hand the Snap On air guns are overkill, and should be used with torque limiting sockets.

I actually have an OLD Ingersol Rand Electric Impact gun that was in my father's home tool chest. It's probably at least 30-35 years old (if not more). You change direction of the socket by twisting this large cap on the back of the gun, I bet it literally moves the contacts on the motor, but you know what? It still works perfectly fine and has more than enough torque for anything I'd attempt to do at home. The thing feels like it's made out of cast iron and weighs a ton...

Edit:

I actually found one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/INGERSOLL-RAND-1...item35b050a0d5

This thing HAS to be older than I am.

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 03-01-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 AM

I still have and use a "Black & Decker" Ripsnorter hand held 10" circular saw which was manufactured in 1949. It's a brute of a thing and wouldn't pass any health and safety laws, it almost breaks one's arm with it's weight -- but it's never refused a job even in 2011. When I use it, my whole neighborhood knows about it too with it's 90db drowning out the usual yapping dogs, screaming kids etc. etc. Laying my kitchen floor with cermamic tiles needing a lot of cutting, so I just fitted a Grizzly Disc instead of the saw blade and mounted it upside down in a B. & D. workmate -- piece of cake.
Leedsman.
p.s. Why can't they make domestic power tools to that quality now? I have to use Bosch to get anything half-decent.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leedsman View Post
p.s. Why can't they make domestic power tools to that quality now? I have to use Bosch to get anything half-decent.
Because everyone wants cheap.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

THIS is why I love my impact wrench! This would take ten minutes with the car's lug nut tool! In addition to using it for removing wheels, it's also removes other bolts with a tiny fraction of the effort it would take with hand tools. It took me a minute and fifteen seconds to remove one wheel and install another. AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROLXuqdFuEQ

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Add this to your air collection. I love mine. Cuts down on busting knuckles when doing repairs and makes you faster.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam View Post
THIS is why I love my impact wrench! This would take ten minutes with the car's lug nut tool! In addition to using it for removing wheels, it's also removes other bolts with a tiny fraction of the effort it would take with hand tools. It took me a minute and fifteen seconds to remove one wheel and install another. AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROLXuqdFuEQ

wow.. now i want one too

what brand and model was that again? is that an air compressor or electric?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580 View Post
Add this to your air collection. I love mine. Cuts down on busting knuckles when doing repairs and makes you faster.
Already got one! It cost me about $30 at Harbor Freight. It's useful when trying to turn bolts where the impact wrench won't fit.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975 View Post
wow.. now i want one too

what brand and model was that again? is that an air compressor or electric?
It's an "el cheapo" version from Harbor Freight. It's normally $30, but if you use the 20% off coupon that's in the back of every car magazine you can buy it for $24. It's an air-powered tool. I have a decent air compressor to power it.

Hey... you weren't being a smart-a$$, were you?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM

I keep the harbor frieght air tools in my truck as its nice to have (since i have compressed air onboard) and if the tools get stolen its not terrible but at the shop i have a Cornwell branded IR 1/2in impact. Use it everyday, love it. One of my tech's just bought a bluepoint (snap on ) composite impact and i always catch him using mine since its not only more powerful but easier on the wrist.

Not that you'll care what your mechanic uses

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy an impact wrench!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: