The death of jaguar - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The death of jaguar

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 PM

Default The death of jaguar

Back in the days of ford jaguar the quality was decent and the styling was retro but good. Now in 2017 we have a jaguar that is more consumed with mellinials interest and the electric car craze and has lost its styling it has had since the end of the 2 world war and even though reliability is good so was the ford reliabilty, bit back to the real topic the jaguar I pace the most hideous car to hit the streets since the Porsche panamera, and of cruise. And yet jaguar seems to love this car as well as the beetle. In conclusion when a brand electrify there world famous sports car and lost there styling they have lost the heritage and the brand itself.
Rip jaguar 1936-2008 the same fate could happen to massirati and alpha Romero if this continues
Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 PM

Hate to agree with you , but it sadly seems so. They look nothing at all like before, before you always knew what they were at a glance. Now you see the cat as it's leaving on the trunk, not on the hood ready to pounce.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:15 PM

Even though ford didn't have the best quality it was better than the new designs that jaguar have now. Sadly just another eurolux
2003 xj
1999 360
2016 f type
2003 STR
Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 AM

To me, the newer ones just look vaguely like Volvos. Yet another jelly bean.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM

Only new Jag worth looking at is the F-Type but, still love the retro cars best.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM

I have to disagree, while I am a huge fan of the retro styles...I would love one of these new style Jags in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
The death of jaguar-jag.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Everything evolves, Jaguar was dying when our car was produced, so like all car makers, they looked to see what the next generation want and that's where they went. If they carried on producing cars modelled like ours they would be dead and you wouldn't be complaining about the current range of cars because there wouldn't be any. The fastest selling Jaguar at the moment is the I Pace, the XJ is nowhere producing a few thousand a year. The market decides if what you produce is what they want and retro styled cars are not it. I love my XJ but I'm 67 and my tastes are not that of a 20- 30year-old who is Jaguars market now. So more power to Jaguar and keep producing the cars the next generation want and keep the brand alive. If you can't tell the difference between the Jags, Mercs, BMW's and Audi's meet my son he can spot the difference at 200 metres and that's the generation Jag are selling to. Rant over Keith
Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 2,856 Times in 2,553 Posts

But they're selling fewer cars (total) now than they were... how does that make sense?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,222 Posts

The Tata-era Jaguars are not for us (my wife and I). They hold zero appeal for both of us. My 2005 S-Type and her 2006 XK8 will likely be the only Jaguars ever in our stable. But in the grand scheme of things, that is indeed okay. Different platforms appeal to different folks, just as it should be....
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Default save the tatas

Jaguar offers the styling of a nice Nissan now.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

How delusional, and selfish.
Jaguar is selling more cars now, with industry leading reliability, than they ever did. They are making cars they never make before. Such as the xovers.
So lets see how that looks like in a business equation.
A. Make a car for folks who never supported you anyway- and you had to be sold off. Twice!
B. Make an entire car range that a broader spectrum of folks demand.

Well the answer is not so simple- they already tried A and failed under self ownership and Ford...maybe B makes more sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queen and Country For This Useful Post:
NBCat (09-29-2017), SinF (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarstyper View Post
Back in the days...
You forgot to tell us to get off your lawn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SinF For This Useful Post:
JagRag (09-29-2017), Queen and Country (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Times change and some people look at the Ford era Jaguar style as being dated. The vast increase in sales for JLR as a group are extremely impressive in the wobbly global economy. I read a figure of 93% increase is sales recently. Not sure if that is for Jaguar or the JLR group?

I like the latest model designs more than the Ford era. They are distinctive from the German rivals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busa For This Useful Post:
NBCat (09-29-2017), Queen and Country (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Having had the pleasure of driving the newer cars at two of the 'Art of Performance' events here in NZ over the last year I can say that the performance across the range is very impressive, Yes I like my old Jags, I have just purchased a '65 'S' to stable with the S11 and XJR but would not turn my nose up to a newer XE or XF or F type. Mind you I would be divorced and seeing as SWMBO is the breadwinner that would rather defeat the object (I'm retired and she's younger than I am) Nothing stands still and that was what Jaguar did and it cost them. Onwards and Upwards!
The Following User Says Thank You to Robman25 For This Useful Post:
Grant Francis (09-29-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
They are distinctive from the German rivals.
This is the point.

During the ford era, there was Nothing that competed with German rivals, not unlike Fords cars and SUVs.
Today there is nothing Deutschland can produce that rivals the Range Rover Velar or the Ftype, the XE gives the 3 series a run for the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Queen and Country For This Useful Post:
NBCat (09-29-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
This is the point.

During the ford era, there was Nothing that competed with German rivals, not unlike Fords cars and SUVs.
Today there is nothing Deutschland can produce that rivals the Range Rover Velar or the Ftype, the XE gives the 3 series a run for the money.
I am very proud of Jaguar coming from the Ford era that was not very long ago to a position of now taking on the likes of BMW and Mercedes in their market place. It's been a phenomenal turn around. Jaguar management and the whole team can really hold their heads high for a brilliant example of becoming very successful in a pretty harsh economic environment. The people at Jaguar must be feeling very excited atm.

John Bloor did similar with Triumph motorcycles another exceptional British brand. Look at Triumph now? Not only taking on the big four but outselling them as well.

Last edited by Busa; 09-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busa For This Useful Post:
NBCat (09-29-2017), Queen and Country (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

The JLR marketing team are playing like a premier league top team. . Making sure key celebrities and key political figures are seen driving around in their brands is great. Investing in the right areas.

I couldn't even get a test drive in a new Merc Amg Slk or a new Audi W12 when I was a cash buyer. They both treated me very badly as a new customer. I was both incredulous and angry at their bad attitudes. As brands they've got complacent and slack. Classic lose scenario.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

You will enjoy this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Queen and Country For This Useful Post:
NBCat (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I tend to trade cars fairly often and I tend not to buy cars that look like ones I've owned before. There were a number of other brands in our driveway between our first (2004) and second (2011) Jaguars but I think it's safe to say the second one would never have been purchased if the styling hadn't changed and updated with the times. The 2011 still attracts more attention than the 2004 because most people consider it as "new" whereas the vintage styling was growing long in the tooth well before 2004. I think it's only fair to point out that I live nearly 100 miles from the nearest Jaguar dealership and, as such, Jaguars are a rarity in my rural community. When you do see one, it's generally 10+ years old.

Dwayne
Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

I visited Castle Bromwich factory, and for F-type owner they rolled out red carpet. I had a retired engineer give me a personal tour of the factory, and I took that opportunity to ask many questions.

According to that engineer, Ford years weren't good for Jaguar. Ford micro-managed production, insisted on using standard parts everywhere... as a result quality suffered. One example he used was wiring harnesses - they now custom build harness to fit your car's options. It isn't 100% custom, but instead of having 2 part numbers to be used for all cars, they have 100s variations and a supplier that on-demand produces them. Because harness is smaller now, and they also heat them up before installation, there is a lot less cracking of insulation and they last longer.

There were tons examples like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to SinF For This Useful Post:
Queen and Country (09-29-2017)

Closed Thread