Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educating young people on cars

Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Received 227 Likes on 137 Posts

The last roadside tire change I did was in 1982. I was rolling in 10 minutes. I've had a few since then, changed either in a parking lot or my driveway. As long as there is crap on the roads, there will be tire problems.
Keeping an eye on tire pressures helps to catch problems early. The problem is that young guys think that they don't have to monitor their tire pressures and they're glad to not do it.
My point is that the side of a highway is a very dangerous place and when a guy takes your daughter out (I have two daughters) he is personally responsible to get her home safely (and on time), which means reducing the amount of time she spends in danger on the side of the dark highway with trucks whizzing by at 70 MPH.
If he can't change a tire himself in 15 minutes or less, he isn't qualified to date my daughter.
Now it doesn't matter anyway because they're probably taking Uber, another person who can't change a tire.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,550 Likes on 4,861 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h View Post
If he can't change a tire himself in 15 minutes or less, he isn't qualified to date my daughter.
Fascinating prerequisite. Presumably you field-test his abilities before allowing the date to proceed?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Takeo (05-10-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

My former boss came out to his garage one morning to find a flat tire on his Mercedes. He had some kind of roadside assistance, I don't think it was AAA, maybe through Mercedes or perhaps his insurance. They sent someone to put on the spare for him who did it and left and when he tried to back out, his car wouldn't move. He called them again and they eventually sent someone else, this time a more experienced person who immediately recognized that the previous person had used the wrong lug nuts. There were special lug nuts for the space-saver donut spare in the compartment with the tools in the trunk. Apparently by using the regular lug lug nuts, the roadside assistance guy bent up something and did a nearly a thousand dollars damage having to replace I don't remember if he said it was the rotor or the hub or both, plus they had to tow the car to the dealer. So the moral to that story is even if you are not a gearhead, you NEED to be familiar with your own car because the roadside assistance guy may not even recognize the difference between an acorn and mag type lug nut. Even if they send you someone who is pretty sharp, he is not likely to know if there are special emergency procedures for your make and model. Worst case was that old guy who died of heat stroke trapped in his Corvette when the battery died. He didn't know that there was a mechanical override release and he could've opened the door at any time. Maybe you guys with daughters better give these guys an automotive quiz when they show up for their date.

Last edited by pdupler; 05-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 207 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Heh heh, I raised two girls and the last concern on my mind was how quickly the boy could change a flat tire. There were other, higher probability and more worrisome scenarios that kept me up at night.!
DD
apparently, this young fella was recently driving in France with a group of friends and had a flat tyre. He was the only one who knew how to change the flat.

The girls were really impressed.... so he said... with a cheesy grin.

I must be be doing some thing right!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,550 Likes on 4,861 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
you NEED to be familiar with your own car
True enough, true enough

. Worst case was that old guy who died of heat stroke trapped in his Corvette when the battery died. He didn't know that there was a mechanical override release and he could've opened the door at any time.
Nobody reads the owner's manual anymore.

True enough that some are an inch thick these days but they typically have a 'quick read' section that covers the essentials

Maybe you guys with daughters better give these guys an automotive quiz when they show up for their date.
Too late, my girls are already married! Neither of the young fellows are very interested in car repair...to say the least. But, since both can read the manuals and advisory labels, I'm quite sure they can change a tire. But not in 15 minutes, I suspect !

What really disappoints me, though, is that neither of them can milk a cow. Millennials. Sheesh !

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 05-05-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

About 5 years ago, I found out I have a daughter. Don't ask how. She is 47 or something now and works as a prison guard somewhere in The Netherlands and has a kid from some nitwit softie who goes by the name of "Pyay", he is unemployed . My grandson is about 10 now. I met them once but have no further contact with them for the time being.

I am, now composing my will and testament, since I do not have much time left.

In my will, I included that my grandson will get my 2001 Jag and my 1980 Panda, my 1951 TR2, my 1935 Delahaye, my old Corniche, and about half a ton of tools plus my antique watch collection.

There is one condition: kid must, by then, be able to drive and do car repairs.

If conditions are not met, all my belongings will go to the Red Cross.

DavidYau (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

That starts me wondering what will happen to my vehicles once I depart this life. My wife is heir to all my worldly possessions but she was severely disabled by a stroke twelve years ago and is unable to drive. My assumption is that she'd pass them along to our son and his wife. From there it's anybody's guess as to whether they'd keep them or liquidate and get something they select. Bottom line, I won't be here so I don't really care.

Dwayne

DavidYau (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

I don't have any heirs. I rather expect that I will likely sell my cars when I can't drive any longer. I kind of hope the money will make the difference between a nice nursing home vs. one like you read awful stories about.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Default Removing the centre console

Seems that Iíve become a follower on this young manís social media. He helped me on the XK8ís Centre console ashtray replacement.

He was amazed that it only took 15min to remove console and was dead easy. Didnít even need to solder the new wire connectors.

With the modern factory assembly line, it was even easier to put back in.

Lesson learnt- NO FEAR!

Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM

The days of screening my daughters' dates are long gone and I really didn't get to do it at all. Maybe it's just as well. By my standards, neither would have ever had a date.
I'd be like Al Bundy walking the guy into the wall instead of the doorway.
One is married and the other is on her way. The only thing that gets screened anymore is my blood...for cholesterol.
I just fear that the younger crowd doesn't appreciate the benefits of self reliance, especially to get out of a dangerous situation.
As far as DIY stuff, if you told me in the mid 80's when I was learning about cars on my 1974 Camaro that one day I would open an ABS module and repair it myself I would not have believed you, but last year I did.
Along with greater challenges come greater resources, this forum being one. I could not have done the ABS module without information found here.
Does anyone really miss having to adjust the points and timing on a distributor?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Main thing you need to know about cars is they can kill you.

Not so much the cars themselves but the people driving them.

My Father taught me how to drive when I was eleven and he told me "Look, take it for true that everyone is out to get you and you'll be alright."

The next time I have an accident will be the first time. That's over 50 years later!

Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 464 Likes on 318 Posts

The days of screening my daughters' dates are long gone and I really didn't get to do it at all. Maybe it's just as well. By my standards, neither would have ever had a date.
I'd be like Al Bundy walking the guy into the wall instead of the doorway.
One is married and the other is on her way. The only thing that gets screened anymore is my blood...for cholesterol.
I just fear that the younger crowd doesn't appreciate the benefits of self reliance, especially to get out of a dangerous situation.
As far as DIY stuff, if you told me in the mid 80's when I was learning about cars on my 1974 Camaro that one day I would open an ABS module and repair it myself I would not have believed you, but last year I did.
Along with greater challenges come greater resources, this forum being one. I could not have done the ABS module without information found here.
Does anyone really miss having to adjust the points and timing on a distributor?
No. Putting electronic ignition on my CB750 is something I'm super happy I did.

The internet truly has changed the game and made knowledge more available than ever before. That said, being able to think critically, work on things, and work without the internet available is becoming less common given smart phones allowing users to only need to achieve the level of knowledge to google crap.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice game we're playing if you ask me. I also survived a brand new GX750 which followed my brand new 77 4 Speed Trans AM.

Remember to always look out for the other guy.

Fortunately my Father stopped me from buying a 70 Challenger 440 Six Pack as my first car.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
No. Putting electronic ignition on my CB750 is something I'm super happy I did.

The internet truly has changed the game and made knowledge more available than ever before. That said, being able to think critically, work on things, and work without the internet available is becoming less common given smart phones allowing users to only need to achieve the level of knowledge to google crap.
Neighbor's little girl (I think she's 12, but going on 27) can't understand having to go to school.
"If I need to know something, I can just Google it".

80sRule (05-15-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Default Had to post this pic

Started really young.... maybe checking ABS sensors...

Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by dareandgo View Post
Nice game we're playing if you ask me. I also survived a brand new GX750 which followed my brand new 77 4 Speed Trans AM.

Remember to always look out for the other guy.

Fortunately my Father stopped me from buying a 70 Challenger 440 Six Pack as my first car.
Uh, what exactly would be the downside to buying a 70 Challenger 440 Six Pack? I'd give body parts for one of those today, or to tell stories about having owned one at all.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM

I recently had a proud papa moment when my son used his new Jeep Wrangler to pull my girlfriend's van out of the mud. It"s nice to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle with hooks on the front and now he knows how to use them.
I put the van in the mud so it was up to me to get it out. Not fun. I was helping her with a tree planting project and delivered some materials. After unloading I went a little too far into a soft area while turning around. He saved me hours of debogging the van and he now gets a stamp on his man card.
On the way home from the mud hole my girlfriend said that she hoped he didn't scratch his new Jeep. I told her that I didn't think he did, and if he did he didn't get it in a mall parking lot, that's for sure. He will get a scratch sooner or later, and now he has a good story to tell his friends, scratch or no scratch.
FYI, if you use Creek Stewart's method of attaching a stick to the drive wheel to get out of mud, that only works for small cars, not a Ford E350 van. I snapped 2 2x3's like toothpicks.

Last edited by stu46h; 05-19-2019 at 08:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stu46h:
DavidYau (05-22-2019), Doug (05-19-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Here, in rural France, it is LEGAL for a 12 yo FARMER'S child to drive ANY agricultural tractor for ANY kind of work on FARM LAND, but also on public roads from and to the farm !
Really funny to see a 12 yo girl driving a BEAST of a John Deere with a 20-ton trailer bringing the damned thing home fully laden with rolls of straw !
(AND she does it flawlessly on the narrow roads here).

Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 AM

In the southern part of New Jersey, it may not be legal, but it is common for a large farm tractor of some sort to pass by my home on the public road. No lights, no insurance, no registration, but plenty of sharp blades exposed to deal with slow pedestrians. They do have an orange triangle, so I guess that makes it OK. In North Jersey, where I grew up, this did not happen.
No farm equipment on public roads up there but traffic laws down here seem to be merely suggestions.
New Jersey really should be divided into two states. North and South are way different.
My girlfriend, who grew up here, sees this as normal. She says that the farmer has to get his tractor to his fields. I tell her that's what trailers are for.
I don't drive my John Deere on the road, I put it on a trailer. The trailer has lights and a license plate. It can be done.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,472 Likes on 2,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Here, in rural France, it is LEGAL for a 12 yo FARMER'S child to drive ANY agricultural tractor for ANY kind of work on FARM LAND, but also on public roads from and to the farm !
Really funny to see a 12 yo girl driving a BEAST of a John Deere with a 20-ton trailer bringing the damned thing home fully laden with rolls of straw !
(AND she does it flawlessly on the narrow roads here).
Well, yeah...
She certainly won't learn any younger!

In the southern part of New Jersey, it may not be legal, but it is common for a large farm tractor of some sort to pass by my home on the public road. No lights, no insurance, no registration, but plenty of sharp blades exposed to deal with slow pedestrians. They do have an orange triangle, so I guess that makes it OK. In North Jersey, where I grew up, this did not happen.
No farm equipment on public roads up there but traffic laws down here seem to be merely suggestions.
New Jersey really should be divided into two states. North and South are way different.
My girlfriend, who grew up here, sees this as normal. She says that the farmer has to get his tractor to his fields. I tell her that's what trailers are for.
I don't drive my John Deere on the road, I put it on a trailer. The trailer has lights and a license plate. It can be done.
Spoken like a true Townie.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
89 Jacobra (05-21-2019), DavidYau (05-22-2019), RudyF6 (05-22-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Educating young people on cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: