Environmental impact - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Environmental impact

Old 03-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Default Environmental impact

Now that I got the crankshaft damper off, I'm doing some cleaning. The engine cleaner that I bought recommends that I apply it, then after a while blast it off with a stream of water. I wonder what they're thinking. Where do people do this?
Just last night I attended an event where the discussion was how to reduce hard (roof, driveway, sidewalk) surface (polluted) water runoff from reaching the streams, lakes, and rivers with the use of rain gardens.
The last thing I want to do is to wash the crap off my engine and into any body of water, or my back yard, and hosing it off with water is the absolute worst thing I could do.
The water that would result is way dirtier than anything that runs off my roof.
I'm not hosing anything off in the garage anyway which is where the car is until it has new timing chains and tensioners living happily within its bowels.
I'm going to capture all the crap that I can in a pan and brush all I can to get it as clean as I can and live with it.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,787 Times in 2,364 Posts

stu46h, as you pull the parts, I would say to take the parts to a deep sink and wash them there. Atleast there, the chemicals will go to a plant to be treated and not directly released to the environment. But, for parts like the engine block or something like that, anything you do will ultimately end up in a waterway. You wipe off with a rag, it goes to the local dump, seeps into the ground water there. You spray it off in the driveway, it goes through the sewer system to a body of water.

The best answer that I can give you is to find a product like Simple Green. These products have an enzyme inside of them that essentially eat oil and break it down into other stuff that is less harmful to the environment.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

The environmental impact that you are writing about is a crock of bovine manure compared to that coal mine that has been burning for the last 25 years in Centralia, USA, and will go on burning for another 250 years because the govt has not the 2-3 million $$$ to put it out ...

Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Extending the life of your vehicle is reducing environmental impact much more than using a bit of solvent is. The environmental impact of making new cars is massive. I'm not saying start a tire fire or anything, but being relatively careful and judicious in not overapplying the solvent and you'll be fine. Start with stuff like simple green to get the easy stuff off, use the strong stuff for the remainder.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 6,265 Times in 4,691 Posts

I put lots of cardboard under the car. Then wash the engine with assorted cleaners and water.....from a spray bottle, not garden hose.

The cardboard ends up a soggy mess, of course, but I just let it dry out for a couple days. All liquids evaporate while the grease and gunk is left behind. Then I throw it in the trash which, in the end, goes to the landfill.

I dunno if this is good or bad but, in my mind, it seems much better than letting it all wash into the storm drains and/or surrounding soil.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 PM

Washing the solvent and gunk down the kitchen drain will only put it into the septic tank in the back yard so that's not an option.
Comparing this issue to the Centralia fire is an excuse to pollute more, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
If I can get the crap recycled somehow, or at least absorbed, it's better than direct runoff into the water table, and better than a quick trip into the local streams and rivers via the storm drains.
I can't make this stuff go away, but I want to do the best I can with it.