Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Earth

Old 10-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 667 Posts

Being English I have to comment on the English Electric Lightening.

While at a base in SE England, I was an RAF Cadet, I witnessed one trying to land. It aborted as the runway was too short. Quite dangerous as even topped up it did not carry much fuel.

In 1984, during a NATO exercise, Flt Lt Mike Hale intercepted a U-2 at a height which they had previously considered safe (thought to be 66,000 feet (20,000 m)). Records show that Hale also climbed to 88,000 ft (27,000 m) in his Lightning F.3 XR749. This was not sustained level flight but a ballistic climb, in which the pilot takes the aircraft to top speed and then puts the aircraft into a climb, exchanging speed for altitude. Hale also participated in time-to-height and acceleration trials against Lockheed F-104 Starfighters from Aalborg. He reports that the Lightnings won all races easily with the exception of the low-level supersonic acceleration, which was a "dead heat".[77] Lightning pilot and Chief Examiner Brian Carroll reported taking a Lightning F.53 up to 87,300 feet (26,600 m) over Saudi Arabia at which level "Earth curvature was visible and the sky was quite dark", noting that control-wise "[it was] on a knife edge"

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Busa (10-04-2018), x-biker (10-03-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
BTW, the "flat earth society" is a literal group. They are not the same thing as this latest resurgence in earth shape studies. In the last 3-4yrs there are people who (like me) are questioning all things and simply trying to find proofs of what we've been taught and assume to be true.
Actually one aspect of this for me was the way I was taught English literature in England.

We were told to read certain books and then in class we "analysed" what the author meant. Ok good so far but then we were told by the teacher what the author meant.
I always questioned this and often think about it.

It was MANY years ago so have no idea whether its the same now.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Celticblood View Post
Irrelevant, we are all nothing more than a biological power source for our digital overlords. Welcome to the matrix.
There are a few interesting parasitic life forms that inhabit us. I've read a bit about the Archons, but we also have much more down to earth parasites like Toxoplasma gondii, which can change human behavior. Scientists estimate it could have infected something like 40% of the human population I think?
Then there is spirit co-habitation which can be quite destructive.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jackra_1 View Post
Actually one aspect of this for me was the way I was taught English literature in England.

We were told to read certain books and then in class we "analysed" what the author meant. Ok good so far but then we were told by the teacher what the author meant.
I always questioned this and often think about it.

It was MANY years ago so have no idea whether its the same now.

Not sure they even teach reading anymore

Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by keith100 View Post
Not sure they even teach reading anymore
You have to wonder!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

that makes m think of Cat Stevens lyric........ "from the moment I could talk, I was ordered to listen"

Old 02-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record I'm not a flat earther.
I do find the topic interesting. FE'ers have a creative imagination.
I do like to ask people sometimes, how they know the earth is round and they usually do not have an answer.
For most people it is not easy to explain which gives the FE'ers some leverage in their arguments.
It is a fun topic.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
Believe it or not, I understand this, it makes perfect sense to me!
I always wondered how gyros were used for navigation.
Thank you for this explanation!
(';')
Very much like the gyros used in ww2 V1 flying bombs.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 939 Likes on 656 Posts

Earth may not be flat, but we are zipping along in the solar system/galaxy quite fast.
The first link video gives an idea on what our sun/solar system travel is around the galaxy. It's not 100% accurate, but merely informational.
The second link gives more detail on relative speeds, etc. on our journey throughout the universe.

What is the Speed of the Earth?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by zdmz View Post
For the record I'm not a flat earther.
I do find the topic interesting. FE'ers have a creative imagination.
I do like to ask people sometimes, how they know the earth is round and they usually do not have an answer.
For most people it is not easy to explain which gives the FE'ers some leverage in their arguments.
It is a fun topic.
We accept things as being true simply because its the narrative that society accepts and purports. Very few choose to test it. I for one am unashamedly that kind of person.
FE'ers are doing just that and there are some very eye opening discoveries that simply do match what we've all been taught and accept.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
We accept things as being true simply because its the narrative that society accepts and purports. Very few choose to test it. I for one am unashamedly that kind of person.
FE'ers are doing just that and there are some very eye opening discoveries that simply do match what we've all been taught and accept.
Such as?

Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 AM

Such as?
A benign example.. "horsepower" is a term commonly used to describe the power output of Internal Combustion Engine. There is no such tangible thing. ICE's produce a force called "torque".

I find it amazing (and a little disheartening) how many people will argue and even get angry at me when I try to point out the source / history of where it comes from and that *math* must be used to calculate the number. It means nothing in today's world but yet... they argue.
Once they get upset my favorite question is: "Please show me a horsepower wrench?". I then let them noodle that for a moment and the look on their face when a torque wrench comes to thier mind is priceless. ;-)

People today don't use steam engines and they don't lift water with horses on a treadmill. Normalcy and Cognitive dissonance are VERY POWERFUL things in the minds of people.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-06-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:20 AM

There is even flat earth music. His lyrics touch on a lot of things discussed in that community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnl...Fx0lkchpmZy0Lw

Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Such as?
I actually deal with this everyday at my work. I'm a Sr Engineer and almost daily, younger / less experienced engineers bring me concerns, dwgs, 3D models to check and approve. It's amazing how many times they try to justify something they did with logic of "that's what was done on xxx project". I ask them why.. they can't answer and often get frustrated. I send them packing and w/instructions to go figure it out.
btw... this is true with less experienced engineers from all over the earth (pun intended). Asia, NA, SA, Africa, EU, Middle east... they all want to be lazy and just use "surrogate data".
In my experience the #1 nationality that will go figure it out w/the least amount of grief are Japanese. The nationality who I have the most difficulty with are those from India. (in my 25+ yrs experience working at 10+ places)

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-06-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 247 Likes on 157 Posts

I was associated with the pilot training section at Boeing for a short time and the training pilots had some very interesting stories about the Middle East pilots. One example, when a friend had set up an emergency situation on a training flight and told the student pilot to correct it. If he didn't know how he would just cross his arms over his chest and shout "Alia will take care of me. Wouldn't you like to have him as your airline pilot.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,215 Likes on 921 Posts

Obviously, your name is Allah so he wasn't wrong.