French speed cameras 60% destroyed. - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

French speed cameras 60% destroyed.

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

French speed cameras 60% destroyed.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default French speed cameras 60% destroyed.

They've killed a lot !
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-destroy.html

Same happened here over a longer period of time. Regardless of the claims made about them increasing road safety or not, they were seen as being cash cows for the
police and/or the British government. They a had the car tyre necklace here. The local authorities covered over the burned cameras with blue bags to hide the political dissent. They still get burned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Busa For This Useful Post:
SinF (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Thanked 1,109 Times in 900 Posts

Perhaps it should occur to the politicians that people resent being spied upon.

I always was under the impression that under British law, one has the right to confront one's accuser(s) in front of a magistrate. Or are the cameras considered 'de facto' evidence by the High Court and Crown Prosecution Service?

The cameras were installed in several cities here in California to be able to reduce the costs of having police constantly in certain areas, but as soon as the cameras were challenged in court, they were just as quickly uninstalled.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,131 Times in 860 Posts

We are the most spied upon society on the planet, 2838 speed cameras at the last count and millions of cctv ones.
The new ones, the yellow vultures, can allegedly tell if you are eating, drinking, not wearing a seat belt or smoking which are classed as driving without due care and attention.
Welcome to 1984.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

NBCat I think most people here were concerned about being caught because of the cost of a speeding ticket on your license and future car ins costs.
Under totting up if you inadvertently had several speeding tickets for say a couple of hours driving, you could easily lose you license for a year or more.
The most minor speeding ticket was 3 penalty points or endorsements as they were called or up to 6 or more for more serious speeding.
Once your license had 12 or more points you were banned. The loss of anyone's driving license can be catastrophic.
So those were the main issues here.
I have been very lucky to only have had 2 minor speeding tickets so far. Well ok, probably a miracle tbh.
But even 3 points can hike your insurance premium for years.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
We are the most spied upon society on the planet, 2838 speed cameras at the last count and millions of cctv ones.
The new ones, the yellow vultures, can allegedly tell if you are eating, drinking, not wearing a seat belt or smoking which are classed as driving without due care and attention.
Welcome to 1984.
Orwel's Britain is here in so many ways and ways he could never have imagined.
Still one of the safest countries in the world which does not justify the level of surveillance.
I was wearing my "Disobey" hoodie today. Its in the 1984 stylee.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:43 PM

When I lived in London before emigrating to the US, I had one 'driving award' as I like to call them, for making a right turn on Oxford Street whilst heading towards Marble Arch. A no right turn sign was in place, but of course the sign was obstructed by pedestrians as I pointed out to the constable who waved me to pull over. Nevertheless, I received points on my licence for making a right turn when it was forbidden. After that I kept a clean sheet, but I did pay more on my insurance.

Looking back, I should have gone to court with photos of the intersection showing pedestrians obstructing the sign so I could plead my case with the Beak and have it dismissed.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

I applaud the French people for taking their government to task in ways the British would never think of doing. Once the realities of a 'hard' Brexit sink in, that may ultimately change.

As for the constant surveillance with CCTV cameras everywhere, it's been said before that 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear'. Seems some old sayings never go out of style.

The Following User Says Thank You to NBCat For This Useful Post:
SinF (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,082 Times in 805 Posts

They occassionally get their lens coated with paint or internals filled with expanding foam here. One got shot out (on the freeway out towards a major shooting range, quite a coincidence). I dont condone violence towards speed cameras , I applaud it.

Many of ours are mobile , so anytime a clean SUV is parked beside a road it becomes a bottleneck as people slow down just in case, and do 20kmh below the limit.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

France ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takeo For This Useful Post:
Brutal (01-15-2019), NBCat (01-11-2019), SinF (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Speed cameras are a money grab and dishonest way to increase revenues by politicians that are too afraid to raise taxes. Way to go French protesters for destroying these. Keep at it. Hope this protest spreads internationally.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I can assure you there was a significant UK backlash towards speed cameras but it was not mentioned very much in the msm news media. As I said it was a more longterm and sustained attack on them. Where I live they turned the fixed site speed cameras off and serious accidents and deaths went down for the following few years. They may have increased since but this is due to other factors I believe.

The road safety campaigners squeelled like pigs when the cameras were turned off. Loss of jobs and income no doubt. The fact is if these cameras are sending out millions of speeding tickets every year then they are not working. It is a failed policy. Same as drink driving which is up again this Christmas. If drivers are still drink driving then the polices policy ain't working.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

There are almost full time roadworks on the motorway near where I am. They always have "average speed" cameras along both carriageways.
So why do so many drivers speed between the average speed cameras and then brake hard as they approach the cameras? DURR!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Dear Remi, I hope they didn't get him?

Last edited by Busa; 01-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat View Post
When I lived in London before emigrating to the US, I had one 'driving award' as I like to call them, for making a right turn on Oxford Street whilst heading towards Marble Arch. A no right turn sign was in place, but of course the sign was obstructed by pedestrians as I pointed out to the constable who waved me to pull over. Nevertheless, I received points on my licence for making a right turn when it was forbidden. After that I kept a clean sheet, but I did pay more on my insurance.

Looking back, I should have gone to court with photos of the intersection showing pedestrians obstructing the sign so I could plead my case with the Beak and have it dismissed.
I lived a stone's throw from that intersection on Sussex Gardens, and been a few times before the court you would have. There is no doubt the human case for your mishap would have been heard and some consideration shown.

Armed with this expectation of justice, I pleaded an even more trivial case in front of a US judge and it landed me in jail.
Upon emigrating here I had purchased car from a dealership, it had a temporary paper tag stuck to the back window, it fell off but was right there on the rear deck.
I was pulled over and cited for "Improper display of tag"- despite the problem instantly rectified, which itself should have been my first clue to a twisted sense of freedom that exist here.
Plead not guilty to the $9 ticket on principal of not being the party responsible for applying temporary tags and that snow obscures permanent plates the same way.
Long story short- guilty, in contempt of court, go straight to jail.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Long story short- guilty, in contempt of court, go straight to jail.
There is more to this story that you are not telling. Contempt of court requires you to ignore a judge-issued order or be verbally abusive. You can't be found in contempt for simply disputing the ticket.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat View Post
Perhaps it should occur to the politicians that people resent being spied upon.

I always was under the impression that under British law, one has the right to confront one's accuser(s) in front of a magistrate. Or are the cameras considered 'de facto' evidence by the High Court and Crown Prosecution Service?

The cameras were installed in several cities here in California to be able to reduce the costs of having police constantly in certain areas, but as soon as the cameras were challenged in court, they were just as quickly uninstalled.
I know in Michigan in the United States that this ability to confront an accuser was the logic in not allowing red light or speed cameras; but I recall that train crossing camera enforcement was legal (but I've never seen it enforced). There are cameras monitoring traffic but for the purpose of flow optimization and increasing safety WITHOUT enforcement tickets. I thought this was a good idea. Especially since in America that a lot of traffic and parking enforcement cameras are operated in a partnership between the government and private entities where the goal is to get money.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
There is more to this story that you are not telling. Contempt of court requires you to ignore a judge-issued order or be verbally abusive. You can't be found in contempt for simply disputing the ticket.
Yes,
I was too full of self assurance and did not understand local customs;
Small towns dont take kindly to outsiders going against the grain, challenging the system, the officer, and wanting to run the full legal gauntlet.
Spoke in a manner and accent that had an air of superiority (in their eyes).

I was righteous and arrogant - because I came from a culture where we would ask a policeman why he had a tit on his head- and naively believed that I had come to a country of even greater freedoms.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

In respect of speed tickets issued for a speed camera there is an issue with regards to how you plead. I learned about this when my partner/gf had a speeding ticket through the post for something like an alleged 33mph in a 30 limit. It might have been 34 in a 30, I can't quite remember.

​​​​​​ On the ticket 99% of people accept the ticket, pay up and take the penalty points on their license. The reason for this is that it is very difficult to argue against with the police and in court. They make it that hard so you give in. When my partner started asking questions the police wrote to her and said she could take it to court but she would then get double penalty points and up to a 1000 fine.
So in terms of English law she was either guilty or more guilty. It felt like blackmail, pay up or else.
We already knew that some people have been wrongly convicted and we know what the legal issues were.
We had an arduous task with the police and after we turned up at court 3 times with months inbetween, the police had still failed to provide any of the evidence we had formally requested. So the case was dismissed because of the polices failure to be respectful to our requests and also to the court.
​​​​Had the alleged speed been much higher, then I doubt they would have dismised the case. But who knows.
That fight we had was not for the faint hearted, as I say it is very difficult to fight a speeding ticket in the UK because they made it that way.
​​​​

Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Queen and Country I prefer the Clash version myself