Honda DI Problems! - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda DI Problems!

Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Lease payments are based on car depreciation minus discounts. Manufacturer can offer you discounts, but they can't really change auction values that formulated by market value. Depreciation happens for many reasons, but key component is reliability.

For example using KBB:

2019 Corolla LE Fair Purchase is $18,305
2014 Corolla LE Fair Purchase is $10,768
---
$7537 depreciation

2019 Mini Cooper base Fair Purchase is $22,120
2014 Mini Cooper base Fair Purchase is $11,708
---
$10,412 depreciation

Why such huge difference between "Cool" Mini and "Bland" Corolla? Because Mini has **** reliability and Corolla has great reliability.

So unless MINI discounts by $2,875 your Corolla lease payments going to be cheaper. Even if you don't care about reliability, don't maintain your car, and go from lease to lease.

Last edited by SinF; 11-08-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

I had more than one Honda in the past, and I am surprised they are sleeping on this problem. Reliability is very important to them. If they ignore this, it will make their lease payments go up, so they will have to offer deeper discounts to compete.

Usually, people that buy Honda cross shop Toyota and Hyundai. So being more expensive to lease because nobody wants to get into problematic DI coming off lease is very key consideration for Honda.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder how auto stop start systems affect oil dilution issues

Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,122 Times in 833 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
Lease payments are based on car depreciation . Depreciation happens for many reasons, but key component is reliability.
No.
Go look at a Landrover defender 110- they appreciate, and they are unreliable.
Many BMWs appreciate.
Many Porches appreciate.
FJ Cruisers appreciate- but are reliable
Unreliable Ferraris appreciate- no cheap lease payment there

By the formula you claim, the lease payments on these cars would be less than a Corolla.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Since 1978 I have always owned a Honda and something fun. The Honda was the daily workhorse bought new and kept for years often being passed down to a friend or child. The something fun was a motorcycle, sports car, classic car, or a combination of the before mentioned. This started to change in 2006 with the purchase of a new civic. It went back to the dealer countless times due to extreme short life of the tires. After countless trips to the dealer, joining a Honda forum, and a ton of research I found the rear upper control arms were the issue. Honda had issued a TSB in 2007 and informed its dealers to change out the control arms and replace a single set of tires to appease customers. I finally convinced the dealer to do the work in 2012 and i got a set of tires for my effort. Although I had already replaced the tires 10 times at $600 or so a set. I still have that car as the 2006-2008 civic has zero resale value, partly due to this issue and partly the airbag debacle.

In 2012 we purchased a new Honda CR-V and the issues continue. How about total failure of the braking system and a $3000 brake job just out of warranty. I dropped it off this morning for yet another recall issue.

Not that is it just Honda, How about the replacement DSG transmission I paid for last month. Almost $5K I had a feeling getting 300hp out of a 2 liter engine might be problematic.

I'm thinking of going electric, fewer moving parts.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
No.
Go look at a Landrover defender 110- they appreciate, and they are unreliable.
Many BMWs appreciate.
Many Porches appreciate.
FJ Cruisers appreciate- but are reliable
Unreliable Ferraris appreciate- no cheap lease payment there

By the formula you claim, the lease payments on these cars would be less than a Corolla.
Some cars, like limited run exotic cars do appreciate. Some classic cars also appreciate. However, these are special cases that are not applicable to 99.9% cars out there. Yes, if you can get your hands on a limited run Porsche 911 GT3 RS or Labo Huracan and then don't put any miles on it they will not depreciate. Unfortunately, this (buying and not driving) hoarding is the norm in exotic market. However, even rarest car will depreciate if you drive it. Typically, anything past 15,000 miles (total, lifetime) is considered damaged goods and tanks in value.

No new BMW appreciates.

Some classic cars that are not exotic do appreciate. However, there is no way to know in advance what cars will. For every classic that appreciates, there are hundreds that don't. For example, original Ford Mustang appreciated, Mustang II you can't give away for free.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

No new BMW appreciates.
Oh dude you will be shocked. I was.
" This 1M is offered by Bridge City Motors in Portland with a relatively high 43,500 miles at a reasonable $52,995 -- still over the original MSRP, seven years after going on sale. "

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

I find it ironic that a bunch of Jaguar owners are expressing serious concern over resale value of vehicles.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 View Post
I find it ironic that a bunch of Jaguar owners are expressing serious concern over resale value of vehicles.
Its bittersweet but poiniant
Jaguar has been blamed for all sorts of things that affect its resale value, yet somehow those things dont affect other brands.
Ironic that Jaguar has made the best value cars in the world....and they dont seem to be valued.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

I don't share your definitions of value. Jaguar is exciting, but reliability is still awful compared to other brands. Just look at JD if you don't believe me. My F-type spent serious time in the shop where lots of parts, including entire gearbox, entire differential, were replaced. This s**t is exactly why Jags depreciate so much. If it was my only car I'd be seriously unhappy.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Oh dude you will be shocked. I was.
" This 1M is offered by Bridge City Motors in Portland with a relatively high 43,500 miles at a reasonable $52,995 -- still over the original MSRP, seven years after going on sale. "
You are probably talking about E26 M1. Production 1978 to 1981. This isn't the same car as M2 that was made recently.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

I don't share your definitions of value. Jaguar is exciting, but reliability is still awful compared to other brands. Just look at JD if you don't believe me. My F-type spent serious time in the shop where lots of parts, including entire gearbox, entire differential, were replaced. This s**t is exactly why Jags depreciate so much. If it was my only car I'd be seriously unhappy.
Sorry mate, this is intended to console not offend- thats rubbish! I have not had any problems with the same differential. On my Chevy replaced it 2x under 60k miles.
Besides Jaguar does not make those parts you listed and they are used in many other cars. Jaguar makes the bulletproof engine.
7year old 1M with 45kmiles sells for more than original msrp.

The Following User Says Thank You to Queen and Country For This Useful Post:
SinF (11-10-2018)