Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance company mileage request

Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Insurance company mileage request

Just throwing this out there! My insurance company requests the current mileage on each of my cars once a year to adjust my rates based on driving miles. I don't have a problem with that request, they have always done it, and I comply with my odometer reading. I recently got my yearly request and the letter asked for documentation of the odometer reading by means of service receipts, repair receipts etc. I called my agent and asked why my written statement was no longer good enough and she just spouted a bunch of corporate speak BS. I told her it ain't gonna happen and she volunteered to come to my house and take a picture of my odo reading. I told her that ain't happening either. I talked with a district manager told him I am insulted that after almost 40 years of paying the premiums and not complaining, I feel they are now calling me a liar and a cheat. I also told him they aren't getting any documentation!! Still waiting to hear back from him.

I have 5 cars and my house with them and like I said I have been with them for almost 40 years. I could understand this if I was a brand new customer and they made this same request from day one. I may find out about that in the near future if this goes south. To get to the point, are any of you getting this same request and if so are you as pissed as I am??

Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

no, and if I did I'd find another insurance company and not bother debating the issue. if they're unwilling to take you at your word now and are willing to put you through this much of a hassle, how do you think they would treat you if you should ever need to file a claim?

it sounds as though they're looking for a reason to deny coverage, i.e. perhaps your policy is rated for 10k miles annually, but you decide to drive cross country and exceed that in some given year, then they refuse to service your claim.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,584 Posts

We were never asked to prove our odometer readings during the 21 years we spent with State Farm, but their insidious rate increases on our annual homeowners insurance the past three years or so finally drove me away in 2011. They had always been more than fair with our auto insurance until this year, so I moved that as well. Liked my long-time State Farm agent, but just could no longer justify being gouged with zero claims and a perfect credit score. Other companies wanted our business, proved it by offering far more competitive rates, so I told State Farm goodbye and moved on to greener pastures....

The recession has greatly affected the way the insurance business works these days. The bottom line is that if you want to get the most bang for your buck, you have to shop your policies periodically. That may also pertain to keeping at least some measure of privacy as well....

Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 8,892 Likes on 4,091 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  19.3 KB

Never asked that here in the UK ever!!

I ALWAYS shop around now and have done the last several years. The Insurance companies now offer great benefits & incentives as well as excellent rates for new customers but NONE for long standing & loyal customers.

That tells you that they value new business over yours, so move, go somewhere else immediately if not sooner is my advice.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,043 Likes on 704 Posts

wow, that' would tick me off to no-end. make em' suffer Terry, then grovel to keep your business, that's a lot of policies they'll be losing.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 755 Posts

Terry, which company is it, so we can watch out for them.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Farmers Ins. I don't usually shop insurance and for some unknown reason tend to stay loyal to my ins. co., phone etc. I may have to rethink all of this. I have my motorhome insured with progressive and they have never even asked for a yearly mileage estimate let alone documentation. I may take all of my other business to them.

Glad to hear your opinions, I was wondering if maybe I was making a big deal about nothing. The older I get the more I tend to be opinionated about what I consider good/poor service and customer appreciation.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 755 Posts

You might want to look at Mercury Ins, we have it for home and car and like it.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 1,206 Likes on 709 Posts

My take, if you have a fixed agreed max annual mileage policy (classic car springs to mind) then the insurance company have every right to ask for proof.

Here, we also have this ability for low mileage vehicles, Miss Daisy for example; but we have to have the mileage verified by an approved garage.

Then in the UK, just Google all those dodgy mileage correction outfits and you will see that this is also part of the problem.

However, your company should take your pristine history into account.

Sadly, 40 years on, I guess that it is more Corporate than Human.

Thus company policy X now reigns. and the 20 something has no clue as to how to use common sense.

Shop around if they will no longer take your word.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Farmers Ins. I don't usually shop insurance and for some unknown reason tend to stay loyal to my ins. co., phone etc. I may have to rethink all of this. I have my motorhome insured with progressive and they have never even asked for a yearly mileage estimate let alone documentation. I may take all of my other business to them.

Glad to hear your opinions, I was wondering if maybe I was making a big deal about nothing. The older I get the more I tend to be opinionated about what I consider good/poor service and customer appreciation.
Wow Terry, What a bunch of ______. Funny thing is I dropped Allstate and now have Farmers over a similar argument over rate increases and loyalty.

BTW... different state, but already have had one renewal with Farmers and a vehicle change and there was never any request for any odometer reading. They do ask the typical distance of commute question. And the business or pleasure stuff, but never any actual odometer readings.. And if they ever do, my answer will be a cancellation just like you.

Be careful with Progressive. I've had some issues with them. These issues were only during the claim process and not doing standard business. Once many years ago when my car was hit in a parking lot and another where one of their insured drivers backed into my wife's van. Both were arguments over the cost of repairs and fixing it right. Thankfully they caved in on both cases, but it shouldn't have been that hard.

Good luck in your case... Based on all the different posts on this topic, it looks like there isn't one single "good" insurance company out there... They all treat the "new customer" like gold then shaft the long term... Claims or not...

Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Insurance rates

Progressive was my replacement for Nationwide, of which I was a loyal customer for 46 years. Finally about 5 years ago dropped them because of higher and higher premiums. $710 the last 6 months that I used them. $350 for Progressive. Two autos. Progressive has been raising my premium about 10%/year. I may ditch them too.
Bobby

Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would guess it's because people lie about their mileage constantly.

I drive maybe 5k a year, spread out across two cars - My X Type and my truck. But I work from home, rarely leave town, and when I do we drive my wife's SUV.

So I can understand why insurance companies are doing this.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag View Post
Progressive was my replacement for Nationwide, of which I was a loyal customer for 46 years. Finally about 5 years ago dropped them because of higher and higher premiums. $710 the last 6 months that I used them. $350 for Progressive. Two autos. Progressive has been raising my premium about 10%/year. I may ditch them too.
Progressive has to pay for their endless, 24/7 wall-to-wall television commercials. Incredibly, as I was typing this, a Progressive commercial came on. And Geico isn't far behind.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck View Post

I drive maybe 5k a year, spread out across two cars - My X Type and my truck. But I work from home, rarely leave town, and when I do we drive my wife's SUV.

Same here... I was actually glad once when the USAA rep on the phone tried to trick me into saying how far away my office is (I work out of my house). Some people lie as readily as others breathe. Ironically, for reasons which elude me, USAA no longer offers a lower rate to those who do not commute to work.

I drive about 6K per year, divided among four vehicles. When I sell a car people are extremely skeptical about the low miles. Fortunately I keep good records.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator View Post
My take, if you have a fixed agreed max annual mileage policy (classic car springs to mind) then the insurance company have every right to ask for proof.

Shop around if they will no longer take your word.
Your right Richard, our Insurance Company that insures our 1959 Mk9 Jaguar always asks for mileage as it has an agreed annual milage (not that it goes anywhere as it needs a restoration)

I think it wont be long before all insurance companies ask for a copy of the MOT before they insure the car every year.

Last edited by Translator; 07-02-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: dropped a bit
Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,499 Likes on 4,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck View Post

Yep, people lie to insurance companies all day long. Some people, that is. Not all.

However, if I was a 40-year customer of any company I would expect (silly me) to be treated a bit differently. I would expect somebody, at some level, to say "No problem, Mr. Dwyer. You've been loyal to us for so long we'll gladly take you on your word".

If had been using the same agent for many years I would expect them to go to bat for me as well. Not fall on their sword or anything, but at least do something other than spew corporate policy.

However, as I say, that's just silly. My experiences with insurance companies is that they just_don't_care.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 1,206 Likes on 709 Posts

TJ, understand the edit.

Here in Europe, any car capable of taking to the road, unless officially declared as being 'Off the Road' legally has to carry insurance.

Even if the thing has 4 flat tyres and no starter motor.

Mr Dwyer; when, in 35 years time you arrive at 40 year membership of this forum, unless you change your attitudes to burning fossil fuel, we might have to revert you to Junior status.

This has nothing to do with the time and expertise you have shared with us, but may well be the corporate policy that we may need to adhere to.

Thank you for your continued support.

Clueless, from Accounts.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 452 Likes on 378 Posts

It is annoying that they wouldn't trust you, but it's kind of like everything else. If you do lie about it, everyone else on that insurance company's policies is paying for your risk.

As potentially one of those other people, I'd be perfectly happy if they tracked my mileage in order to reduce my rate!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM

People who lie to their insurance companies haven't thought things through very far and/or don't have any assets to protect (not even future earnings).

They are taking a horrific gamble, for if a really big judgement ever comes in against them (e.g. personal injury), their insurance company will leave no stone unturned to find a way to avoid paying it. With millions at stake, you'd be surprised what enterprising attorneys and investigators can come up with. And they will--it's how they earn their pay. If you have made a material misrepresentation of any kind, your policy is null and void. Read the fine print.