Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ITALIANS do it better!

Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
We get it. You're proud of being English, but seriously, other countries do excellent stuff too.
Its not that at all.
Some countries are very good at marketing themselves and some are not.
For instance Italians can make "4 Door" sound gloriously romantic "Quattaporte"

I agree that specific cultures lend themselves to excellence in certain fields. Italy excels in so many of them. Automobile engineering, or mechanical engineering is not one of them. Auto design is.
Why are the Swiss good at watchmaking, because there is an even bigger industry of excellence in tool making that makes watchmaking possible. Same is true of Germany and their massive ecosystem of all things steel, from the raw material to universities to machines.
Italy is void of that supporting ecosystem. And given what few resources they have, its actually incredible what they can put out. But my point remains, they do it with one hand tied behind their backs.

Think of it as using a sharp knife. Japan goes to its backyard to get one, as does Germany, and UK, not Italy.

I too prefer my Italian suits and fabrics over all others. Frete bed linens or the floor for me. I prefer Italian Zagato styling over all others.

The following users liked this post:
deuce2000 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

Still waiting to here opinions from anyone who has either looked more extensively at a Giulia or has bought one (or has a friend or acquaintance with one). Here is Socal where you cannot drive more than a couple of blocks without seeing bunches of BMW's and Merc's the occasional Giulia really stands out, although I am starting to see more of these. Of course the front styling is entirely distinctive but even from the side and rear the styling stands out from most of the other brands.

Doug

Old 04-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy View Post
Just curious if you ever pulled the trigger on the Giulia? The styling and specs really caught my attention and it is nice that you don't see dozens of these a day like you do with BMW, Mercs, etc. The specs on the standard Giulia are pretty decent but the Quadrifoglio seems amazing. Just have no idea as to the reliability of these over time but you would think that in these days, that has improved (just like comparing newer Jags to older ones?).

Doug
The standard 2.0L engine has 280hp and 306 ft/lb of torque, impressive indeed. The best part is that has a top speed of 149mph, Why does Jaguar limit the XE and other models to 120mph?

deuce2000 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

A common trend that I am leery of these days is getting in the neighborhood of 300hp out of small 4 cylinder 2L engines by turbo-ing the crap out of them. I wonder how those small engines hold up over time compared with a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder.

Doug

deuce2000 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,215 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
The standard 2.0L engine has 280hp and 306 ft/lb of torque, impressive indeed. The best part is that has a top speed of 149mph, Why does Jaguar limit the XE and other models to 120mph?
Here's why, probably; https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-road-deaths/

The tossers in the EU have now decided that this is a wizard prang and are going to adopt it universally. Or at least Europeanly.

Thanks Sweden; other than ABBA what else have they done for us?

Old 04-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy View Post
A common trend that I am leery of these days is getting in the neighborhood of 300hp out of small 4 cylinder 2L engines by turbo-ing the crap out of them. I wonder how those small engines hold up over time compared with a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder.

Doug
This is what Italians and only Italians do best. Let me explain myself.

Different cultures place different priorities on virtues they seek out of a product.
In America for instance, durability and longevity take absolute precedence. So denim vs cashmere.
According to the 'Dolce Vita' life is too short for drudgery of denim pair that last 15 years. When you can have bliss of Merino wool for 7.
Its all about living life to the fullest, regardless of cost (in durability)

Or look at it from material choices in cars.
Italians always opted for British leathers that lasted half as long as MB Tex (Mercedes name for vinyl- they even went through the effort of engineering it). But what fun while it lasted.
My Maserati had camel suede headliner, it weighed a ton and held on to a ton of moisture. Thus sagged, but it was stunning for the first 5 years.

The Gulia is fun redefined, rightly, durability was sacrificed.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Here's why, probably; https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-road-deaths/

The tossers in the EU have now decided that this is a wizard prang and are going to adopt it universally. Or at least Europeanly.

Thanks Sweden; other than ABBA what else have they done for us?
Just wow. They're insulting their customers' intelligence and judgement. Why would anyone buy a car from a company that wants to babysit you because they don't feel you can be trusted to not wrap the vehicle around a tree at high speed?

Still doesn't explain the 120mph Jag limiters. Why are cars like the Project 8 XE and F SVR able to max out around 200mph? Maybe if you spend over x amount of money on a car they feel you're responsible enough to operate a vehicle of that capability.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
you think, in 1992 Maserati presented the Ghibli. V6, 2000cc, 306 HP!
those were so impressive! 153 cv / lt ( Ghibli Cup : 330 hp, 165 hp/lt!!!!! )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Ghibli

Last edited by deuce2000; 04-08-2019 at 03:08 AM.