Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its no "OK"

Old 07-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Its not "OK"

The movie Idiocracy was satire.. not a playbook!

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 07-10-2019 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Clown World

Mark Dice is always great.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 218 Posts

The real take away from Idiocracy is that the REAL stupid people are the ones that don't have and raise kids.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

It's hard for me to pay attention to new news these days. I just can't believe how intellectually and morally depraved people are. My heart hurts most for the younger generations coming up. The "idiocracy" and flat out deception they have to overcome will be greater than I had to deal with. I fear that for most, *normalcy* will rule and they will even defend such topics as shown by Mr Dice.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I am now dumber for having read this thread. Precious minutes of life I will not get back.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
It's hard for me to pay attention to new news these days. I just can't believe how intellectually and morally depraved people are. My heart hurts most for the younger generations coming up. The "idiocracy" and flat out deception they have to overcome will be greater than I had to deal with. I fear that for most, *normalcy* will rule and they will even defend such topics as shown by Mr Dice.
Generation Z is said to be far more right leaning than Millennials. Young people tend to be rebellious and since the lame globohomo liberalism is the stale establishment it is natural for them to be grown to the Alt.-Right and traditionalism in general. Difference between this and what the boomers did in the 60's is that this is a rebellion against evil while boomers and the social engineers back then rebelled against all that was good and proper.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,547 Likes on 4,859 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
Generation Z is said to be far more right leaning than Millennials.
Opinions seem to vary on that

A "drift" (not far more) according to this source, which acknowledges a change to the right...but it's a mixed bag:
https://www.theamericanconservative....ghtward-drift/

For instance.....

"On the other hand, a study by Northwestern University shows that Gen Z is about as likely to support gay marriage and government involvement in health care as Millennials, and more likely to support transgender rights. Atheism rises by five percentage points among Gen Z, and despite promising signs of an increase in religiosity, teenagers are taking less traditional approaches to Christianity than previous generations..."

Young people tend to be rebellious and since the lame globohomo liberalism is the stale establishment it is natural for them to be grown to the Alt.-Right and traditionalism in general.
From the same article:

"Instead of attacking the younger generation, we need to teach our kids the values of traditional culture without the radicalism of the alt-right"

Meanwhile, other opinions, totally opposite. I guess how you interpret poll data makes a difference

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/p...beral-tsunami/

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W View Post
I am now dumber for having read this thread. Precious minutes of life I will not get back.

I tried to watch the clip. The commenter, whoever he is, is just too annoying in his manner/style. Two minutes was too much for me.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Good comment here & I totally agree. The amount of nonsense to be slogged through is going to make it increasingly difficult for young people to figure out what's what.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ask yourself this.

What makes the news compared to a percentage of what actually happens?

If you see more bad news these days, it may really just mean you have more access and memory to bad news...

Old 07-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clawgrade View Post
The amount of nonsense to be slogged through is going to make it increasingly difficult for young people to figure out what's what.
Maybe not so much...

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...from-opinions/

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...pinion/573739/

Lots of similar research and results on this

Cheers
DD

Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Maybe not so much...

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...from-opinions/

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...pinion/573739/

Lots of similar research and results on this

Cheers
DD
From that first article, "In selecting statements, the study strived to include an equal number that would appeal to the sensitivities of each side of the aisle".

They used an odd number of factual and opinion statements.(5 each).

Struck me as a little funny to have an equal number of two different sides of of the aisle spread across an odd number. 2, and 3, a 50% difference is the closest they could get with five.

Of course if you add the factual and opinion statements you get an even number together. However, it remains that each side of fact and opinion would have to have a bias of 50%.

Doug (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Of course if you add the factual and opinion statements you get an even number together. However, it remains that each side of fact and opinion would have to have a bias of 50%.

Good observation.

Still, there are numerous studies and reports giving us similar results: with age, we're less likely to differentiate truth from fiction

http://longevity.stanford.edu/2012/0...-in-deception/

There seems to be little disagreement on this. Not that I've launched a probe into the matter, mind you. And, being over 60, I'm more likely to be swayed

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,139 Likes on 845 Posts

Idiocracy and the classic 1984 are both slowly unfolding as reality.

AJ16er (07-12-2019)