Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Jaguar has finally shed the pipe & slippers image

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar has finally shed the pipe & slippers image

 
  #21  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 5,311
Received 1,316 Likes on 971 Posts
Default

Here is how you take politics off the table:

Its true, I am a moron who cant distinguish between fake news and reality until my politician tells me.

However, I never take any of it too seriously. You lose the plot when you start thinking of any entertainment or entertainer as genuine.
Was The Apprentice real, yes I know it was called a reality show- but thats the point, they are all trying to create our reality.
Do you like our First Lady less because her chest is fake or she is as American as rhubarb pie. Its what makes her attractive.



Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Oh wow...
How's the hell it ended up on CNN I'll never know.
Its was on the main page (where they had a great animation of what was burnt of Notre Dame and why I went there)
Under the title- "those raunchy Australians." But moreover, 'internet outrage'.
I cant believe how people can be bullied by outrage, internet is outraged, who cares.
Apparently the company was bullied into taking down that expensive video and apologize.
How bizarre, who else could that sex-mansion have been made for the clergy?
This is how they have turned us into sheep, they rather us believe owing a toyota minivan with 4 rugrats running around the house is the dream.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/austr...ntl/index.html
 

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.
  #22  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 5,311
Received 1,316 Likes on 971 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail View Post
Not to disagree, but everyone that I know that has the **** [email protected]*boy hairstyle sported by the guy in the add (and one of them is a business partner) drives a Range Rover Sport.
And anyone who caresses the car with a finger after getting out is looking for a right rogering.
 
The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (04-18-2019)
  #23  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM
BruceTheQuail's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Oz
Posts: 2,447
Received 510 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
And anyone who caresses the car with a finger after getting out is looking for a right rogering.
(*makes mental note to stop doing that in public) Yeah, what a spoon!
 
  #24  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:43 PM
scm's Avatar
scm
scm is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 818
Received 146 Likes on 124 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
And anyone who caresses the car with a finger after getting out is looking for a right rogering.
Too right! I use my hand!
 
  #25  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 PM
RIRR's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 89
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tberg View Post
RIRR,
If something as innocuous as referring to the FACT that virtually no one watches CNN unless they're in the airport where CNN pays to be the only one on screen is considered a little too risque for the sensitivity of readers of the thread, and that that is the basis of the humorous remark not the politics of it then I think you underestimate the wisdom of the average forum participant. I don't care what fujicoupe's politics are, it was funny that he referred to the lack of CNN audience except for when in the airport. Had he carried on at length about the why of CNN's massive decline in viewership your point might have had some merit, but honestly, ligh ten up and laugh a little bit.
Fujicoupe did not simply state that no one watches CNN; he stated that the airport was "the only place any sane person is subjected to the purveyor of fake news." Those don't convey the same idea at all.

As for you tberg, I am perpetually skeptical of anyone who writes the word "fact" in all capital letters. It generally means that they don't really know what the facts are and hope that the bluster of all caps will convince others that they have a modicum of knowledge pertaining to the subject at hand.

For your benefit, I have included some real facts below. A couple of relevant points are: 1) Your "massive decline in viewership" is conspicuously absent. 2) Quarter 1 2019 was CNN's second best Q1 in the last 10 years (see Adweek.com). Objective facts don't lie, so I would agree with you that "truth is always the best defense." I am left to conclude that you either have no idea what you are talking about or that you read an article or listened to a commentator that cherry-picked data out of context. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

CNN Viewership Data from Adweek.com

Total Prime Time Viewers / Total Prime Time % Change / Total Day Viewers / Total Day % Change

2014 515,000 -9% 399,000 -3%

2015 712,000 38% 490,000 23%

2016 1,254,000 76% 753,000 54%

2017 1,055,000 -16% 779,000 3%

2018 988,000 -6% 706,000 -9%

Q1 2019 1,058,000 7% 715,000 0%

Note:Q1 2019 is compared to Q1 2018 numbers of 985,000 prime time and 713,000 total day viewers.
 
  #26  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Unhingd's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 13,791
Received 3,237 Likes on 2,441 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tberg View Post
Unhingd,
Lighten up a bit, fujicoupe's comments were meant to be humorous not political, and by the way truth is always the best defense.
Based on the past few posts....I told you so.
 
  #27  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 PM
tberg's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,204
Received 1,456 Likes on 969 Posts
Default

RIRR,
Your sanctimonious quoting of 1st quarter ratings doesn't really tell the CNN story, does it? Look at the quote below from a reporter, Joe Concha, from the Hill.
Yesterday, CNN didn’t even average more than 540,000 viewers as a 40-year-old network with a big brand name and a crazy news cycle,” Concha argued. “You’re talking about [Jussie] Smollett getting released, [Michael] Avenatti getting arrested, the Mueller report — how anybody isn’t rising in ratings in this particular week when it’s just been nuts … that’s almost impossible to do unless your viewers don’t trust you anymore based on all the speculation you did recklessly and randomly over the past two years.”

Only about half a million viewers are watching CNN, a number so small that if you deduct airport viewers, there is almost no one left, which is what fujicoupe and I were referring to. I don't put anything down on "paper" before I've researched it at least as well as you have, so before you go throwing stones, make sure you're not in a glass house. CNN doesn't have a single show in the top 20 shows on cable.

I'm happy to argue FACTS anytime, This will be my last post on this topic as it really belongs in the Off Topic Forum, and it wasn't my intention to get embroiled in a pissing contest.
 
  #28  
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 5,311
Received 1,316 Likes on 971 Posts
Default

Wow, amazing how divisive the country has become, we are bickering about one channel vs the other, like a game of football, a made up sport.

Those thinking that CNN is kaput should really question their own compass of reality!
They are essentially assuming that the other half of the country would not agree with CNN.
Which is an incredible statement.

Think of it this way, even if CNN was no good, they would have a massive audience of half the country driven there by mere repulsion from Fox news.
Unless of course you believe that everyone supports the same football team.

BTW Rupert Murdock is something we can all agree on, the Australian journalist who wasnt content with reporting news, he manipulated many governments and hacked the Queen.
He never hid the fact that he had an agenda to his news.
 

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-19-2019 at 01:29 AM.
  #29  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
RIRR's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 89
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tberg View Post
RIRR,
Your sanctimonious quoting of 1st quarter ratings doesn't really tell the CNN story, does it? Look at the quote below from a reporter, Joe Concha, from the Hill.
Yesterday, CNN didn’t even average more than 540,000 viewers as a 40-year-old network with a big brand name and a crazy news cycle,” Concha argued. “You’re talking about [Jussie] Smollett getting released, [Michael] Avenatti getting arrested, the Mueller report — how anybody isn’t rising in ratings in this particular week when it’s just been nuts … that’s almost impossible to do unless your viewers don’t trust you anymore based on all the speculation you did recklessly and randomly over the past two years.”

Only about half a million viewers are watching CNN, a number so small that if you deduct airport viewers, there is almost no one left, which is what fujicoupe and I were referring to. I don't put anything down on "paper" before I've researched it at least as well as you have, so before you go throwing stones, make sure you're not in a glass house. CNN doesn't have a single show in the top 20 shows on cable.

I'm happy to argue FACTS anytime, This will be my last post on this topic as it really belongs in the Off Topic Forum, and it wasn't my intention to get embroiled in a pissing contest.
Okay, since you are happy to argue facts, let's address your statements above one at a time. I'm not surprised that you went into obfuscation mode when confronted with inconvenient facts.

1) Not only did I quote first quarter 2019 ratings, but I provided five prior years of objective, verifiable data for both day and prime time viewers. That does tell the whole story vis a vis debunking your claim that CNN has had a massive decline in viewership.

2) Your Joe Concha quote only refers to a day or week of ratings. This is the cherry picking of data to which I referred in my earlier post. One can pick out snatches of data that seem to support a given point, but they don't have any relevance when viewed against the full data set.

3) You state that only about half a million viewers watch CNN and that CNN doesn't have a single show in the top 20 on cable. This is a favorite tactic of the factually challenged: When confronted with facts that refute your original point (i.e., that CNN has experienced a massive decline in viewership), try to change the point of the argument. I will not let you off that easily. Your assertion was a decline in viewership, and I effectively refuted that point.

If you don't intend to get into a pissing contest, then next time have your facts in order before you pull out your d**k.
 

Last edited by RIRR; 04-19-2019 at 08:45 AM.
  #30  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:25 AM
tberg's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,204
Received 1,456 Likes on 969 Posts
Default

So cherry picking one quarter out of the last 3+ years where CNN has lost nearly 25% of its viewership is a more factual snapshot, right? CNN has had a continuing downward trend for more than three years that has seen its ratings significantly drop. Look at your own numbers. Of course, one could go back more than three years and say there were periods of growth but as an ongoing trend CNN has experienced a "massive decline" in the number of viewers, and it remains to be seen whether that first quarter of 2019 will be indicative of a change in direction or not. I doubt it.
 
  #31  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 5,311
Received 1,316 Likes on 971 Posts
Default

Fox Superfan, meet CNN Superfan.

I have made a new discovery right here on this thread.
I call it Q&C's law of emotion
For every emotion there is another emotion, equal and opposite.
 
The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-20-2019)
  #32  
Old 04-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upland, CA.
Posts: 6,023
Received 1,229 Likes on 827 Posts
Default

RIRR
Not disputing your data, but how about including the other snooze networks for a better comparison.

ANNND

FNC is now taking a hard "left turn" Rupert Murdoch gave his older son Lachlin (sp) control of FNC. Son is a left winger and who's wife is also a committed lefty and a staunch hillary supporter.
 
  #33  
Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 AM
yarpos's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Alexandra, VIC, AU
Posts: 4,574
Received 1,139 Likes on 845 Posts
Default

Another thread dissolves into US politics. JF needs rebranding
 
The following 4 users liked this post by yarpos:
Daf11e (04-20-2019), LnrB (04-20-2019), o1xjr (04-20-2019), RudyF6 (04-22-2019)
  #34  
Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 AM
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northwest Sydney
Posts: 20,417
Received 1,730 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yarpos View Post
Another thread dissolves into US politics.
YEP!!!!!!!
 
  #35  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delaneys Creek, Australia
Posts: 23,859
Received 4,558 Likes on 3,470 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yarpos View Post
Another thread dissolves into US politics.
+1 here.
 
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Daf11e (04-20-2019), LnrB (04-20-2019)
  #36  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM
SinF's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 3,700
Received 729 Likes on 554 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
Have to go after the affluent millennials.
They want to advertise to me and Bob?
 
  #37  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 AM
SinF's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 3,700
Received 729 Likes on 554 Posts
Default

I feel compelled to dive into the middle of ****-slinging - your favorite band news channel sux!

Also, what is the best engine oil to use and should I warm up the car before driving or not?
 

Last edited by SinF; 04-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
RobB (04-22-2019), rtcosic (05-16-2019)
  #38  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 17,167
Received 3,471 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Default

I have so Little use for politics (Mercan or not), I didn't even know for 3 months that California had a new Governor! And then I only learned by accident and didn't much care.

I thought we had an Entire Thread Devoted to this subject. A Thread which I'm Quite able and Happy to AVOID!
Can we Please leave all this, (ahem) Discussion, IN that thread?

Thank you for your kind attention.
(';')
 

Last edited by LnrB; 04-20-2019 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (04-20-2019)
  #39  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 60
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

If you ask me, the most atrocious part of that was the guy walking on the kitchen counter with his shoes on.
 
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (04-22-2019)
  #40  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:49 AM
DavidYau's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 682
Received 207 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Let's get this thread back on topic, rather then the CNN rant/discussion.

The house advertisement's most interesting bit was 0:04 - 0:16 with the Jag.

The house appeared a bit sterile and minimalist (very much a Millenial thing) with a long single file corridor leading to the front door - so big deliveries will be an issue. This also leads directly to a glass stairway parapet which is most unsafe considering the state I'm in sometimes when I get home late. Also the downward twisted crystal chandelier would be blind you when you enter.

The lounge's fire place is under the flat screen TV. You'll hurt your neck watching that elevated TV plus the fireplace appeared to be fake LED thingy.

The large bedroom windows are sun facing, so those blinds will be down virtually all the time, as we like to sleep at night-time.... when it's dark. Air conditioner costs will be high to keep the house cool with those multiple bay windows facing the sun.

The black and white bathroom décor is so 1980s... and over

It didn't seem that the kitchen island's black granite top had any power connections to plug your appliances in plus the sink is too small for washing the Turkey .

And the garden pool, that followed the house's rear perimeter is a safety hazard. I'm quite groggy when I get up in the morning, and if I stepped into the garden, I'll just fall in.
The garden fence is painted steel arco barrier, not even wooden!

Plus did you notice the gent parked his Jag in the front of the house and not in the garage. That's probably due to the steep decline down the driveway into the basement car park. Wonder how that slope will perform in the wet/snow!. Bet the garage will flood. That's if the garage isn't already sodden plus any leaks from the swimming pool is directly above the garage. Wouldn't want my car and tools at risk.

So I would agree that the smart gent, with the Jag, is definitely not "pipes and slippers." I wouldn't buy that house but definitely worth a visit.

Did I miss anything?
 
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidYau:
Misujerr (05-13-2019), SinF (04-23-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar has finally shed the pipe & slippers image


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: