Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguars now in k-drama!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Jaguars now in k-drama!

For those of us who like K-drama (or is that "for those of me who likes k-drama"?) Jaguar has follows volvo, genesis, maserati and other marques in what is probably some of the best advertising opportunities in Asia, given the popularity of the shows.

K-dramas are shortish series, a bit like a Netflix series (and there are plenty on Netflix) produced in South Korea. Usually they involve some impossibly good looking people with an impossibly wealthy male protagonist (what is this Korean obsession with wealth?) and a down on her luck but impossibly nice female lead, then with an outrageously evil villain. They are actually really good, some with really high production values. Usually the marque of the car showcased in them is a sign of how good the show will be. These shows are intensly popular in Asia, and usually subbed or dubbed in different countries, particularly China which has a big appetite for K-drama, though that might be on the wane now that C-dramas are a thing.

Jaguars have popped up in a recent one called Terius Behind Me. I havent seen them yet as I am only a few episodes in, but it looks as though there is an F Type and an E Pace at least. It should be good exposure for Jaguar at least in Korea where the show was topping the ratings.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

well I'm gonna keep this going for my own amusement.

The worst baddie (he has killed 2 people so far) drives a Range Rover Sport (or is it a Velar, I cant really tell them apart). Not sure what message JLR Korea is trying to send with that, maybe "if you need to dispose of bodies, nothing beats the practicality of the Range Rover Sport!", or "Killer looks. Killer style. Range Rover. For killers".

Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

I did say I was gonna keep this going for my own amusement and I will - eps 7 and 8 down, so far a great k-drama marred only by the (unfortunately necessary) presence of 2 very annoying kids, no doubt they will become more lovable as time goes on but at the moment they are about as likeable as cockroaches. The male lead is awesome, he is like the Korean version of Christopher Walken in looks and style, and who wouldnt want to watch 20 hours of Christopher Walken?

Jaggies have finally made their appearance, a nice silver XJ carting about (chauffered of course, did I mention the Koreans' obsession with fabulous wealth?) the machiavellian bad guy (as opposed to the Range Rover driving killer bad guy) and in the same scene a white E Pace carting about the secondary female lead - i.e. the one who secretly loves the good guy lead but who is destined to be crushed by the impossibly nice girl, but fear not because in the last episode she and her Jaggy will end up finding true love with a secondary or tertiary character, unless her dashed hopes cause her to turn to the evil side in which case she will get her comeuppance and perhaps find love in prison, sans the E Pace. Time will tell...

Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Eps 9 -10 watched, show keeps bubbling away. Plenty of action, some good character development going on, kids showing first signs of niceness. Walk on role gets the line of the year when random waitress asked where two people had gone and replies: "They asked to use the back door, so I let them". Unfortunately her phone number wasnt in the credits.

Plenty of Jaggy action in Ep 9, hero is driving a FRB F Type SVR 'vert. Unfortunately the sound of it was drowned out by over excited soundtrack in the first scene of it, but we got to hear it snarling away later, sounded filthy. Nice quilty interior on show as well. XJ also on show again - this time the machiavellian bad-guy gets to drive it personally, for some reason the 2018 XJs dont look quite as flash as they did when the shape first came out but they are still a good looking car. There were a few interior shots of it as well which looked lovely but noticeably quilt-less after the SVR.

Will they be able to seamlessly work in an XE, and XF, and a F Pace? Hard to say, though they might opt for shameless over seamless, as was the case for volvo in the recent (and excellent) "Ghost Detective" which at one stage had lingering sequences of 3 XC40's racing toward the action in formation.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Eps 11-12 down, unfortunately watched after a 10 hour wedding/reception attendance so interrupted by a short nanny nap. Kids showing much improvement, I think I can sense a child kidnapping toward the end of the series after we have bonded enough to care what happens to them.

Brief reference to F Type in these episodes but somehow male lead now driving a grey Velar as well. That might be to add to the mystery - why would JLR build a car that looks like a big Evoque? Who would buy a car that could be confused for an Evoque? Well obviously ex secret agents in hiding trying to root out corruption and have vengeance for the death of their loved one, according to the series...

XJ makes another appearance, those twin bucket seats in the back look comfy. Contrary to the usual K-drama practice of taking off the headrest of the passenger seat so that we can see the protagonist in the back, they have left it on in this XJ but it looks very short. The Machiavellian bad guy is quite odd - funny, nice, evil, sociopath - quite intriguing to see where his character will go. But not as intriguing as which JLR car we will see next...

Old 12-16-2018, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 929 Posts

Do you envisage this making it to the big screen?
It appears to have all the necessary requirements.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Haha, yes it does though k-drama dont usually follow a series with a movie, sometimes a special episode or two to squeeze a bit more out of the endorsements. Contrary to that, J-drama (Japanese drama series) are sometimes converted into proper movies, I've seen at least one with the same cast as the series. So essentially you get 15 hours of TV converted to a 2 hour movie. Densha Otoko ("Train Man") was one which was great in both formats, though usually if you watch the movie first the series gets a bit tedious, even though it originated from anime. Similarly the excellent "My Sassy Girl" (the korean movie, forget the execrable Hollywood remake) was originally a blog then a Korean movie and a Japanese series, I think it has been remade into Chinese now as a series and a Korean series albeit reset into the Joseon era. So if there is an opportunity to squeeze some juice out of this thing, they take it.

OK, eps 13 - 15 watched, it makes a lot more sense when you stay awake. SVR makes yet another brief appearance, XJ yet again (still cant make up my mind about this bad guy) but the Velar features prominently when the good guy tries to give the main girl some driving practice in it, actually the interior looks pretty flash (very subtle, JLR - work in that the stereo has to go off so that we pan to the instrument cluster and centre stack which does admittedly look very nice). Too bad the car sounds like a tractor when they start it, diesel ruins everything. When asked why he has this car and the F Type he replies "I like cars" which makes sense, even in Korea where every time you go near a road your life insurer's butthole clenches. That scene ends up with the main guy pretty much shouting at the main girl over her crap driving which reminded me (and not particularly fondly) of my driving lessons with my daughters. Secondary female lead getting the ***** over the main guy's apparent interest in the main girl (didnt see that one coming, lol) I can see a rebound guy already hovering and waiting for his chance. Yes, it is a formula but it works.

What of the XE, XF, and F Pace? I thought I spied a black XF in the background of a scene last night, perhaps the rest of its involvement ended up on the cutting room floor but we still have several hours of the show left, so I figure it will pop up again.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Episodes 16 - 18, much excitement though nothing wildly unexpected. I suppose that one could say that the Korean film and television industry is fairly linear with character development and plots, and quite literal as well. For example, if one is to watch a Korean movie labelled "comedy drama", it isnt comedy mixed with a bit of drama, it has the first half comedy, then someone gets run over by a car and the rest of it is a flood of tears. The only things that I have noticed Koreans being particularly exuberant about is their insults and threats which tend to be wildly extravagant. Your poor President never stood a chance when having his rap battle with Kim, the Koreans are trained in the art of threats from childhood. "Kim, go clean up your room" "Dont wanna" "Dont make me unleash god's hammer and turn it into a sea of fire!" "Aigoo....".

"Aigoo" is an often used Korean expression that seems to translate to anything as benign as "gosh" to "I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts", depending on how many syllables are used. "Kim, you still havent cleaned your room. Dont make me cut your uncle into pieces and feed him to the starving dogs!" "Aigoo-woo-woo-woo..."

Anyway, so the funny bad guy is now being hunted for assassination by the bad bad guy who is being directed by an unknown bad guy in conjunction with an unknown bad girl who is married to a comedic side kick guy, so he (funny bad guy) has kidnapped the good good girl who met with him at the instigation of the jilted good girl who might just have encouraged that to put her in danger and consequently out of the way. Following this? This is typical K-drama, get with the program. The stage is set for a K drama car chase.

K drama car chases are typically hilarious rather than thrilling. Generally you have some little Kia diesel SUV revving madly and swerving from side to side in traffic with the film sped up to make it look like it is going fast, with the wheels howling around every corner. This one didnt disappoint either. Bon (the good good guy) is in his 450KW F Type SVR with his foot flat to the floor (yes, we did have a scene of his foot to the floor), achieving speeds of what look to be about 70kph. He is being pursued by a plethora of sedans including the black XE that we noticed a few eps ago, which is driving his former boss who is bent on bringing him to justice (acting evil, but I suspect too plain to be truly evil, she will come good at about ep 22). Strangely enough these various sedans have no trouble at all keeping up with the SVR. I sense a plot flaw in that. Even though you wouldnt find a bigger XE fan than I, I doubt that anything bar a Project 8 is going to keep up with an SVR. Maybe it had a tune?

In any event, the car chase continues on its leisurely way taking in the sights of downtown Seoul until it is stopped by a road block. By this time we have the blue SVR, the black XE, and the white E Pace all in the scene - nice! Stuff happens and Bon is shot while escaping, but is rescued by the good good girl and then nursed back to health with much cuteness by her previously bratty but now stellar kids.

So F Type, E Pace, XJ, and XE all shown, as well as RR Sport and Velar. What next?

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 12-17-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Episodes 19 and 20 reveal a significant continuity flaw. To explain this I will have to use a device common to k-drama, and that is the "expanded recap". Generally the dramas end their episodes with some sort of cliffhanger. Then the next episode starts at an earlier point in time to the ending, filling out details from a different perspective until you reach the cliffhanger point maybe 5 minutes into the episode.

OK, so remember the road block where the good good guy Bon is stopped in his blue SVR? Well here is the expanded recap...The SVR has essentially 10 cars in front of it across a bridge and another 10 blocking it from behind (including the black XE), all full of national intelligence service agents. Bon gets out (nice quilty door trim on SVR on display), speaks to the possibly evil more likely good former female boss bent on revenge to tell her he still has things he has to do, then sees the bad bad guy about to shoot him so he jumps over the bridge into the Han river being winged by a bullet to the back along the way, before he is rescued by the good good girl who was driven to the river bank by the jilted good girl in her white E Pace (bad colour choice by the way, the E Paces look much better in dark colours).

Anyway, as we know the good good guy is nursed back to health. Then the funny bad guy wants to meet with him because he is being hunted by the evil bad guy at the direction of the boss bad guy and possibly the bad bad girl who we dont know save that she wears red shoes which we have seen at the home of the funny sidekick guy (Koreans take their shoes off at the door and wear slippers inside). But before the good good guy gets to meet the funny bad guy, the funny bad guy is stabbed by the bad bad guy and expected to die, but ultimately saved by the good good guy, leading to a bit of time spent on recovery hijinks.

Somehow along the way we find that the boss bad guy is planning a bio-chemical attack on the Health Minister at the school of the good good girl's kids who we now like enough to give a rat's. The Health Minister is there showing them how to wash their hands to avoid colds which the funny sidekick guy explains is "doing it like a fly" complete with the rubby rubby hand motions that flies do which was accurate enough to make me vomit a little in my mouth.

The good good guy races to the school to stop the attack - DRIVING THE BLUE SVR HE LEFT SURROUNDED BY NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE SERVICE AGENTS BEFORE HE WAS SHOT AND ESCAPED!!!

Seriously JLR, do you think that the NIS is just going to leave it there on the bridge for him to get 2 weeks later when he is well enough? You had a prime opportunity to replace it with a coupe. In red. A big fail, I think.

Maybe the expanded recap will explain how he got it back. Cant wait.

Here is a link to the character correlation chart. Have fun picking who is who https://knda.tv/kntv/program/kn181201/

Old 12-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Eps 20 - 21, nothing huge to report save that Jaguar are certainly wringing the last drop from this endorsement, it is like that oversight that your wife reminds you of 30 years later after a couple of gin and tonics - the gift that keeps on giving, at every opportunity and no matter how unconnected to the topic.

So the funny bad guy is now the funny morally bankrupt guy but we've seen a tragic backstory involving blackmail and plastic surgery so we can forgive him for being complicit in a few deaths, kidnapping the good good girl twice, and threatening to kill her. And he is calling the good good guy "brother" which is very cute. The good good guy stopped the bio-chemical attack and ultimately the bad bad girl (complete with red shoes) was shot and killed by the bad bad guy after she was captured, which was a shame because she was a bit of a honey, I'd have to say a 10/10 as opposed to the good good girl who would be someone you'd take home to mum instead. If your mum wasnt all that particular and pretty desperate for grandkids. A secondary female character's husband also ended up being a baddy and was shot by the bad bad guy who - for all of his faults - is pretty good with a rifle and even better with a pistol and knife.

But now the good good girl has been taken into custody by the possibly evil former boss (who reminds me uncomfortably of the headmistress in Matilda) so the good good guy has given himself up in exchange, and tonight's cliffhanger was his transport van being blown up en route to custody, with much screaming from the jilted good girl (an 8/10 I think, hard to tell under the mushroom hairstyle) who really should get over it and settle for the hip IT hacker guy. Want a korean hip IT Hacker guy? Take a normal korean guy (under 5 foot 8, hackers dont come in tall sizes), add some jawline shaping by plastic surgery and a bottle of hair bleach, put them in a hoodie and then show them tapping random keys on the computer. Done. Another plot flaw, though, because every IT guy I know weighs over 100kg and devotes half of his brain to a map of fast food outlets.

So where were all of the Jaggies? It was a veritible jaggy-gasm in these episodes, the Blue F Type shown racing to the bio-attack complete with tyre howling on every lane change, it actually looked like it was doing 100kph or so this time which is something in Seoul which is the only place I've ever been where my kids refused to get in a taxi - after seeing multiple car crashes and a little old lady floored by a bus (dont worry, she got back up again with much aigoo'ing from our driver). Let's remember also that the good good guy had to escape from the attack site and the car was parked at the front so I will be amazed if he gets it back, the place was storming with anti terrorism forces. The white E Pace also featured in the race to the attack. The XJ was prominent where the funny formerly bad guy was hiding evidence in the boot (nice gooseneck struts!). Sadly the black XE missed it's run. There was a part where the jilted good girl was in a car with the possibly evil boss, but they ended up using a generic korean car probably because the XE would have been too tight in the back seat (would have been an opportunity for the F Pace or XF there, JLR, what were you thinking?).

So we only have about 10 half hour episodes left and we havent seen the XF or F Pace yet...

Old 12-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 929 Posts

So when does the Big Boss Mustang make an appearance?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Now that would be awesome but judging from the back of his head and shadowed profile (he is being kept mysterious at the moment) I think he will be in an Equus limo which is really just an S class made by Hyundai. Maybe a an opportunity for the RR Autobiography to make an appearance, but really a big bad boss is a limo man, I think. Something sterile and uninteresting that would make you want to sit in the back instead of driving it, like an S class or anything made by Audi.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Episodes 22 and 23 (actually I think it is 23 and 24, they are in batches of two) are the dreaded "filler" episodes. These are the generally boring episodes that you get when the show is about 75% done and proven to be popular, so they can stretch it out a bit for good ratings.

Korean writers' meeting - "Kim! You have the bio-attack episode". "Awesome!". "Sung, you have the van blowing up and Bon possible death episode" "All right!". "Park, you have the filler episode" "Aigoo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo..."

At least in J-Dorama (japanese drama series) the filler episodes are usually a work break at the beach (girls in bikinis) or at an onsen (girls in towels). Korean fillers are more chaste, generally a work weekend involving hiking (Koreans love hiking and approach it with extreme enthusiasm, a walk in a park is a prime opportunity to break out the hiking poles and trek boots) and bbq with meat or a trip to Jeju. Jeju is an island off the southern end of the Korean peninsular. I've never been there but feel like I know it from the number of times it has popped up in k-dramas. It is a mix of beaches, fishing villages, foresty places, and tourism resorts.

So we last left the show with Bon having possibly been blown up and the jilted good girl being in a tizz about it. She calls the good good girl in to give her the news and cuts her throat from her employment at the same time because as she says, the good good girl continuing to work with them has become awkward. Absolutely choice. "The love of your life is dead. Oh, and let's not waste those tears, you're fired as well - dont let the door hit your **** on the way out". It wasnt quite like that but we all know how the ladies work.

So the good good girl goes home where her kids are confronted by a dead fish in a bowl which alludes to the death of Bon. It looked like a fishing lure to me, but I am anti hurting animals unless I am about to eat them, so I could live with that. She packs up the kids and goes to her parents' place in Jeju. Nice scenery shots of Jeju ensue, with footage of the parents doing wholesome stuff in a happy way, pleasant enough for a few minutes but I sense that these parents are going to grate after a while. After all, who knew that Scrappy Doo was going to become such a PITA?

Bon turns up, we have a recap of him escaping the van (I think we will find assisted by the not likely to be evil female boss) and there is much joy. Now he is driving a Range Rover Autobiography in white with fairly garish silver vents. That car gets some air time driving around the island. Bon then suggests that the kids might get chilly at the beach (notwithstanding other people wandering about in tee shirts) and does a great unveil of some Northface (another sponsor) jackets for everyone. So we watch the electric upper tailgate of the RR opening...and opening..and opening...for what seems to be 15 seconds, then the same with the lower, revealing 4 Northface branded bags holding the biggest jackets I have seen outside of footage of a polar expedition. So they put on these utterly massive jackets and then play on the steaming beach for a while. Endorsement obligations satisfied.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 12-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Episodes 25 to 32 (end) watched. Well I have a little confession, I slept through most of eps 25 and 26 after a big day at work on Friday, but thanks to the extended recap and some guidance from my wife I didnt have to trouble myself to watch the whole episodes again.

Quite a bit happened in these last 4 hours of the show, here is a summary...

We meet the big bad boss who actually I found very hard to take seriously as he looks identical to Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies. Remember, the guy who was obsessed by guns and wanted to shoot the little old lady's cat out of a tree? Well here is a picture of his korean doppelganger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Byeong-ok.

The possibly evil female boss ends up being a goodie (told you) and the nice guy boss that the jilted good girl has been spilling all of the info to ends up being a baddie (could have told you).

Bon wears more North Face jackets unnecessarily and inappropriately.

Bon is shot again. Counting flashbacks, he has been shot 4 times in this show.

The morally bankrupt now good guy is shot.

The jilted good girl is flattened by a truck. Now I have mentioned this before, but the roads in Korea are a bit of a lottery. I can recall reading that they have the highest rate of road deaths and injuries of first world countries and I take it that this includes the sidewalks because when we were there we noticed that the cars tend to consider the sidewalks to be an overtaking lane and enter them with very little hesitation. This state of affairs is used by korean movies and dramas endlessly, I wouldnt like to think of the number of people I have seen smashed by cars, trucks, and buses in korean movies and dramas, but it would have to be well over 50. As soon as a character starts to cross the street we know what is coming and our buttocks clench in anticipation. But dont take my word for it, why not watch a compilation of kdrama people being hit?

That video is pretty much my recollection of a leisurely stroll in Seoul.

The bad bad guy is shot twice, once in the leg before he escapes, and in the end right in the bean by Bon using a rifle. We wont be seeing him again.

The kids come back from Jeju notwithstanding some reservations from the good good girl who wanted to leave them there for various reasons - my wife suggested was wanting some space so that she could get into the pants of Bon. I think my wife was identifying a little too closely, actually, I caught an air of faint disappointment when she turned looked at me in that discussion.

Various loose ends are tied (including the jilted good girl ending up with the IT hacker guy who looks to be about 6 foot, not 5 foot 8 after all), some new sponsors get a really good run in particular Quiznos coffee shop which had at least 3 logos in every shot, I have seen product placement before but this takes it to a completely new level, they just need to settle down a bit as I was getting quite cross about it until I calmed myself with my rich and soothing Quiznos coffee that I had fetched in my Jaguar while snug in my North Face jacket.

What of Jaguar in these episodes?

Well the big bad boss endded up being chauffered around in a black XF which was pretty unlikely really. I suppose that Jag had a case of premature introduction by using the XJ on the funny bad guy who turned good, and had nowhere to go. The XF got a bit of time, not much and mainly at night. The very resiliant blue SVR was back, the grey RR Sport was there for a few seconds and we saw more of the white E Pace which they actually managed to make look pretty good in some parts. No Jaguar was harmed in the making of these episodes.

Was it a good investment by Jaguar? I'd have thought so, this show has been intensely popular so it is great exposure, and it is likely to be subbed or dubbed into other asian countries as well.

So that is it for the recaps, unless there is a second season which also uses Jaguar and I again answer the questions that no-one is asking. But I had fun, which is the main thing.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 12-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.