Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

just a recent observation about forums

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a recent observation about forums

Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 AM
Received 207 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Fast friendly help

Originally Posted by dga57 View Post
Active moderator involvement is key to a good forum and the moderation here is magnificent. I am Chief Moderator/Administrator of the PCCA (Pinto Car Club of America) site and spend a couple hours every day fulfilling the duties of that position. The most constant comment I hear from newcomers is how friendly our site is. Much of that is due to what goes on unseen in the background. It is the foundation of a good car forum.

Dwayne
How many jobs the Moderators do, unseen, is a credit to the atmosphere of this great site. GGG, Noori and Skliimi do a fantastic job making things legible and in the right order. I do wish some thread titles are clearer and tagged better for future reference, but you should excuse first-timers. It's up to all of us to "educate" them.

I'm amazed at how people on this particular forum can help, when you're in a tight spot, and a rapid response is needed..... especially when you're in the middle of a job, scratching your chin on how to go forward. Recently with my XK8, I didn't know how to wire in some new music speakers. Took a photo, asked the Forum for help and the response was back before I finished with the jigsaw. Fabulous.

I try to return the favour, especially on subjects I'm knowledgeable, and try to acknowledge information I've learnt from others - Gus, WhiteHat, frankc, the departed Rev. Sam (not dead but sold his Jag) etc. The site is a gold mine when you're researching your next job. I'm still looking at putting in the rear quarter windows switch on my convertible ... which is in a thread started way back in 2011!

Not sure I agree with some people's tastes in mod's, but as I read somewhere else - "It's your car, drive it like you're going to die tomorrow, and don't worry about the next future owner!"

The following 8 users liked this post by DavidYau:
Daf11e (04-22-2019), Doug (04-22-2019), Grant Francis (04-22-2019), LnrB (04-22-2019), Norri (04-22-2019), o1xjr (04-23-2019), RudyF6 (04-25-2019), sklimii (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,139 Likes on 845 Posts

Active moderator involvement is key to a good forum and the moderation here is magnificent. I am Chief Moderator/Administrator of the PCCA (Pinto Car Club of America) site and spend a couple hours every day fulfilling the duties of that position. The most constant comment I hear from newcomers is how friendly our site is. Much of that is due to what goes on unseen in the background. It is the foundation of a good car forum.

Dwayne
:-) Pintos and Rollers and Jags, you like mixing it up dont you !

Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 729 Likes on 554 Posts

I think forum atmosphere is related to average poster's age, Jaguar crowd is older and has less to prove. I have observed cordial atmosphere in 70s era Mercedes forum where average owner is a retiree. Generally, older the car, friendlier the forums. I imagine Buick forums also very friendly, but I haven't checked.

Hostility doesn't bother me, my first flame war was on usenet and at this point I have seen it all. To me, signal-to-noise ratio is a lot more important. How much good information is available? This is unrelated to atmosphere.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos View Post
I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth so, to my youthful eyes, my purchase of a brand new '74 Pinto Runabout for my first car at age sixteen was a huge accomplishment. Any true car person always feels a special attachment to their first car and I attribute my interest in Pintos to that sentimentality. At the moment, I own two: a gold '72 Squire wagon and a clone of my original car, an orange '74 Runabout.

The interest in Rolls-Royces stems back even farther. A gentleman who attended my childhood church bought a brand new 1963 Silver Cloud when I was about six years old. It was two-toned black and silver and it was so decidedly different from anything else I had ever seen that I just knew it was something really special. A couple of Matchbox Rolls-Royces started entering my toy stash. As I got older, I purchased a few upscale die-cast Rolls models, and ultimately, in my early fifties, splurged and bought a beautiful magnolia Silver Spur. I kept it until a little over three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The Jaguars came about primarily through my wife's interest. The first was a new 2004 X-Type in Radiance and was her pride and joy. She'd had it about three years when she was felled by a debilitating stroke and wanted it sold once she learned she'd never be able to drive again. When we started mulling over possible replacements for our aging Rolls-Royce, she suggested another Jaguar, saying she missed hers. That lead to the purchase of the used 2011 XJL in Lunar Gray.

I've owned 65 vehicles since that first Pinto and the vast majority have been Lincolns (16), Cadillacs (11), convertibles (6), and pickup trucks (12) so I guess it's fair to say I like mixing it up. Current rides are a 2017 Cadillac XTS and a 2018 F-150 4x4. My truck is currently out of commission due to an accident. Repairs should be completed by May 10th - damage was $6200+. Assuming the repairs turn out okay, I'll probably drive it another year (it only has 6700 miles) and then trade it on a new truck. My previous one was a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn and it was immeasurably more comfortable than my new Ford. My wife had just about convinced me that it was all in my imagination until Enterprise Car Rental put me in a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic while mine is in the shop; even in its "bare bones" trim configuration, it rides and handles better!

Dwayne

Last edited by dga57; 04-23-2019 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 118 Posts

You are cordially invited to drive my old Panda 25 Km to the nearest supermarket on French 3rd class roads and come back with about 100 Kg of shopping in it. It may have something to do with masochism.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

My bad back and I will politely decline your most gracious invitation, thank you. First off, I KNOW and fully accept that I am spoiled rotten. I spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel of my pickup truck and, while others prioritize payload and towing capabilities above all else, comfort is paramount for me. So long as I can accommodate bagged garbage for transport to the county landfill and the occasional purchase of building/home maintenance materials from the local Home Depot, my only other concern is being able to pull a car trailer with one of my 2200 pound Pintos aboard. Any light truck can do those things, but it's important to me to have one that can do it comfortably. Fortunately, the roads I travel are relatively smooth.

Dwayne

Old 04-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 934 Posts

I fail to see how spending a fair amount of time behind the wheel of a pickup truck would constitute being spoiled rotten.
Masochistic possibly; spoiled, no.
I think that the clue is in the word 'truck'.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 4,759 Likes on 4,275 Posts

I'm thinking the Wiltshire concept of a truck and the VA one may not coincide.

RudyF6 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,471 Likes on 2,708 Posts

You've not spent any time in a Mercan Luxury Pickup Truck, have you Steve?
They're replacing passenger cars on the roads on this side of The Pond at an Astonishing pace!
(';')

Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

American pickups are the new luxury vehicle here in the U.S., believe it or not. They are priced about the same as well.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 1,730 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
You've not spent any time in a Mercan Luxury Pickup Truck, have you Steve?
They're replacing passenger cars on the roads on this side of The Pond at an Astonishing pace!
(';')
One of the top selling cars for 2018 in Oz.

LnrB (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

My previous one was a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn and it was immeasurably more comfortable than my new Ford. My wife had just about convinced me that it was all in my imagination until Enterprise Car Rental put me in a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic while mine is in the shop; even in its "bare bones" trim configuration, it rides and handles better!

Dwayne
The Dodge trucks have coil spring rear suspension since I think 2009 models and I remember reading a review when they switched from leafs that said they were the best ride quality of any of the full-sized trucks. If you are interested in improving the ride on your Ford, there used to be an aftermarket product called "Velvet Shackles" that basically hung the leaf springs with some sort of elastic suspension instead of solid steel links. The original brand name product is apparently no longer made but there are still similar products available and someone may have a version for your new Ford.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
The Dodge trucks have coil spring rear suspension since I think 2009 models and I remember reading a review when they switched from leafs that said they were the best ride quality of any of the full-sized trucks. If you are interested in improving the ride on your Ford, there used to be an aftermarket product called "Velvet Shackles" that basically hung the leaf springs with some sort of elastic suspension instead of solid steel links. The original brand name product is apparently no longer made but there are still similar products available and someone may have a version for your new Ford.
Phil,

You're absolutely correct about the Ram having coil springs. I'm not sure which year they made that change, but 2009 sounds logical. I was not aware of an aftermarket product to help smooth out the F-150's ride so I thank you for that information. It's not just the ride however, the Ram handles a lot more precisely as well. Since my truck was damaged, I've pretty much decided to replace it anyway; not immediately, but within a year or two. I've seen too many repair jobs look great at first and then deteriorate with age. It was intended to be my "forever" retirement truck but I'm just not feeling that now. With the exception of one Chevrolet many years ago, every truck I ever owned was a Ford until I purchased that Ram Laramie Longhorn in 2013. In my heart of hearts, I don't think I'll ever be truly happy until I get another one. Some online shopping indicates that a fully loaded 2019 Laramie Longhorn has a sticker price that is nearly identical to my F-150, so I just need to find the right deal.

Dwayne

Last edited by dga57; 04-24-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 934 Posts

"Velvet Shackles".
I have heard that Victoria's Secret can supply those.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
DavidYau (04-24-2019), Grant Francis (04-24-2019), RudyF6 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Steve! YOU are a Dirty Old Man!
(';')

Grant Francis (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

American pickups are the new luxury vehicle here in the U.S., believe it or not. They are priced about the same as well.
so true... and the guys that buy them new , do not use them for their intended purpose! they had a "work truck" for the the real stuff.. usually a 90's k1500. i cant believe the lux level in these new "pickups" i would not even want my wet dog climbing in there! plus they are upwards of 50k usd at least ... unreal

Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos View Post
must give the pinto respect! they are a fav of the drag racing set. short wheelbase , plus if I remember correctly, you can bolt in a late model 302 v8 and mustang drivetrain. mostly any pintos still around are tubbed out with wheelie bars shooting down the 1/4 mile

Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by domer94 View Post
must give the pinto respect! they are a fav of the drag racing set. short wheelbase , plus if I remember correctly, you can bolt in a late model 302 v8 and mustang drivetrain. mostly any pintos still around are tubbed out with wheelie bars shooting down the 1/4 mile
I gotta google that and find a Youtube video. My mental image of a Pinto drag-racing is funny as... xD

From what I've seen on this forum most of us share a common vision to get more beautiful automobiles back on the road. And, just my opinion of course, German cars are NOT pretty. Even when my MK2 was not running I realized that I was happier looking at my car every morning on my way out to the "daily driver" than the BMW owners in my work-group. She still needs paint and an interior but my car's lines are gorgeous!

Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

We spent some time shopping in town today, and I was driving the Prettiest Car In The Lot!
At Each and Every Stop!!
In fact, since I didn't see another Jag at all, I'll say that Today, I had the Prettiest Car in Town!
(I freely admit my bias)
(';')

gene61jag (05-02-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 267 Likes on 219 Posts

I look at around at online forums before buying a model of car.

I will say that the X150 community on this board was a solid positive influence to going out and buying one.