Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Lump, or Not to Lump?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts
Default To Lump, or Not to Lump?

That is the question. Whether it be nobler in mind to suffer the slings & arrows of outrageous Jaguar Purists. Or to take a 350 Chev against an ocean of busted XK motors. &, by opposing them, end them!
Buggered if I know.
I've already posed this most profound of questions, to all who love the leaping Cat, on the XJ6/12 forum. But because I know Lumping has a wider appeal/mortification than just XJ's, I thought it better to throw the discussion out to the wider audience. So, which mast do you tie your colours to?

Last edited by scatcat; 03-02-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:44 AM
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,473 Posts

I would have lumped my car if it was the best option at the time to keep it on the road.
But having a respected Jaguar engine rebuilder just up the road (well, a 2.5-3 hour round trip) having a short engine ready to go when I had already shelled out for the head rebuild.
And a great mate (Dr Phill) on hand it was a no brainer for me.

But each to their own, having an XK engine under the bonnet is what I would prefer. But everyone's preferences are different.

Do what you are going to happy with long term, it is your car to enjoy how ever you like.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 AM
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,185 Posts

+ many numbers.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad that I found a cheap 4.2 to put into my XJ6. & I hope to salvage two usable blocks from what I now have. I am limited to how much I'm prepared to sink into either Mill. But I'm also researching the best fixes for these blocks, such as cold stitching the cracks caused by the head bolts going into the water jacket. As I think these motors will become rare, especially with their inbuilt deficiencies. The 3.8 in my S-Type is already rare enough to warrant a thorough rebuild. & has less problems than a Leyland era 4.2. & I just love the look of a well prepped 3.8 in an S-Type/Mk II engine bay. But having said that, I'm mightily impressed with some of the Lump jobs I've seen on the S Type Mk II Forum, especially Primaz's car, which is just stunning! & the main thing stopping me from copying his build is money! So I guess I've got a foot in both camps, & it would depend on the car, & the resources available, as to what I'd do. e.g. I'd never alter a historically significant Jaguar from factory spec. But an XJ40, with a full compliment of problems, & a fresh 350 waiting in the wings. No Brainer!

Last edited by scatcat; 03-02-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:50 AM
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,185 Posts

My 4.2 blocks all got the Stepped Liner treatment.

They were both S2 blocks, so long stud style.

That sorted them both, and still going some 20 years down the track.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Pretty sure i said this before somewhere, but i bought mine with every intention of junking the 4.2 and doing the conversion, changed my mind pretty quickly after driving her home! The 4.2 when in good shape is a fantastic and gorgeous engine!

Some upgrades have been made to my setup, intake is port matched to head, and i have the european exhaust with no cats and front mufflers deleted, she runs like a scalded dog! If and when anything catastrophic happens to my motor i will be replacing with another 4.2.
I wouldnt mind doing the quarterbreed conversion though!!!!

Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quarterbreed Conversion? Missed that one. What is it?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

its the gm transmission conversion... Jaguar XJ6 Quarterbreed Conversion

scatcat (03-02-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Would a 6.0 litre V12 still be considered a Lump, in an XJ6?
I really don't know why I'm asking, as there's zero chance of me doing it. 1. Because 6.0 V12's ware pretty thin on the ground around here. & 2. The Cops leap onto anything with a hint of performance, & will confiscate at the merest hint of wheelspin. My Son just lost his 6.2 V8 Holden Commodore, to the crusher! & that was just from making a bit of smoke while doing a quick U-turn in front of his house! So I won't be building anything the Cops will want to crush!
Still an interesting question though, academically that is.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,141 Likes on 847 Posts

I have only been in my club a couple of years and so far 3 XK engines have turned over in our little club. In the meantime I drive my car to Sydney or the Gold Coast with thinking about it a lot anymore. The XK thing probably has as much to do with lack of respect/understanding/maintenance as anything.

If you want originality, resale value and get something out of having a "real" Jag then the XK is the way to go.

If some extra grunt, and real reliability in a Jag package appeals then maybe step out of the box.

Not sure about the rules in QLD but I get zero attention from the authorities, but then my car looks bog standard from the outside and usually I am driving fairly sanely.

my 20c worth re the V12, is that its a conversion to a factory option. Doug Dwyer has a thread at the moment (i think) were he is doing one. Big choice in Oz I think, although I am tols one of our clubs foundation members bought one in from the UK to replace an overheated engine. Paid $k for the changeover and then sold the lot in a marital split. Some people have complicated lives.

Last edited by yarpos; 03-03-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:13 AM
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,473 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb View Post
The 4.2 when in good shape is a fantastic and gorgeous engine!
I loved my original 4.2.
After spending a truckload of the hard earned on the new one the smile just won't go away.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

I love the legend of the XK. Conceived & developed on the factory rooftop, while the engineers were on bomber watch, during WWII. The first really modern mass produced engine after the war, which powered Jaguar to multiple race wins, & saw service in the sedans for over 40 years. Truly, a remarkable record. But the Leyland 4.2s were more of a low point than a high, & even aesthetically, I prefer the look of my 3.8S to my 4.2.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,141 Likes on 847 Posts

Given the XK fondness shown in your comments, you seem to have answered your own question :-)

Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, so this is close to trolling (so sue me!), but I can't resist it. Ford's Ecoboost motor has been fitted to everything from a Focus to a Mustang, including Australia's Falcon, mainly as a 4cyl. & all the review's I've read about it say that it's hard to differentiate the difference between it & a bigger motor, especially in the bigger cars. In fact a review I read of the Ecobbost Mustang actually admitted that it was a better handling car than the V8. Though they did labour the point that it also absolutely misses the point of owning a 'Stang. So how would it go in a 60s Mk II or S-Type? I'm thinking I'd like to find out. This V6 looks to have the goods
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...FQwnvQod-F8LeA

Last edited by scatcat; 03-08-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat View Post
Ok, so this is close to trolling (so sue me!), but I can't resist it. Ford's Ecoboost motor has been fitted to everything from a Focus to a Mustang, including Australia's Falcon, mainly as a 4cyl. & all the review's I've read about it say that it's hard to differentiate the difference between it & a bigger motor, especially in the bigger cars. In fact a review I read of the Ecobbost Mustang actually admitted that it was a better handling car than the V8. Though they did labour the point that it also absolutely misses the point of owning a 'Stang. So how would it go in a 60s Mk II or S-Type? I'm thinking I'd like to find out. This V6 looks to have the goods
Ford Racing M-6007-35T F-150 Crate Engine Kit 365 HP 3.5L

I understand your point, as the EcoBoost is a smaller, lighter engine, and that will improve the overall weight, as well as the weight balance of the car it's installed in. However, since the OP said "350 Chevy"......

I would think a later model Chevy LS series engine would make a KILLER swap. Most of the Camaro/Firebird and Corvette LS engines produced at least 350 net HP, are easily hopped up to even greater power levels, and are all aluminum engines, so they're reasonably light.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Um, I'm the OP. & I only used the 350 Chev as an example of a Lump, as it's the most popular conversion. But there are plenty of other options. A Lump is, after all, a Lump! So anything that slots into the hole will fill the bill. It all depends on personal tastes, what's available within the budgetary restraints, & the skills of those twirling the Spanners. Most of the modern Lumps will require a lot of electrickery to make them work. In the case of the Ecoboost V6 I posted a link to, that adds another $2K (USD) to the bill, which is almost another 25% premium to the cost of the engine (still not a bad price for a brand new motor). The advantage of these modern Mills is their power to weight ratio is outstanding, as is their fuel economy & carbon emissions (if that's a factor in your registration costs). So, following the Colin Chapman method of "adding Lightness" to increase speed & improve handling. Slotting a motor that's half the weight & twice the power of the original engine just has to yield vast improvements in both top speed & handling, which is the essence of why Lumping makes sense. & while I mentioned the 350 SBC, as an example. I'd actually like to see us remove those blinkers & think outside the square when it comes to Lumping. Though I'd personally draw a big line through a hybrid, I wouldn't bag anyone who did one, & would just admire the engineering expertise needed to carry off such a project.
Anyway, I'm sticking with the XK's my cars came with. So it's all academic to me.

Last edited by scatcat; 03-14-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 854 Likes on 562 Posts

It's like breast implants. Sure, looks all right from the outside, but once you open the covering up and poke around inside, it's revealed to be an illusion.

1 of 19 (07-03-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 554 Posts

This oil filter adapter is not the right one for the LT1. The LT1 piece is real nice and uses a modern oil filter design that is offset which keeps the filter away from the exhaust pipe. Also shown are the studs for the OE windage tray... another great and high performance feature of the LT1. Look at that thick pan rail and thick block webbing. Notice how clear the casting is. That's a brilliant last iteration of a 40 year old design.

Not correct

Old 06-13-2019, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 934 Posts

Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica View Post
This oil filter adapter is not the right one for the LT1. The LT1 piece is real nice and uses a modern oil filter design that is offset which keeps the filter away from the exhaust pipe. Also shown are the studs for the OE windage tray... another great and high performance feature of the LT1. Look at that thick pan rail and thick block webbing. Notice how clear the casting is. That's a brilliant last iteration of a 40 year old design.

Not correct
What's wrong with adapter??? Maybe changed to fit in early 70s monte carlo???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: