MAF sensor too sensitive - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor too sensitive

Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,343 Posts
Default MAF sensor too sensitive

I know this sounds silly, but I am trying to see what is going on with my car. the issue that I am having is I find that one of two MAF sensors appears to be responding faster than the other (I have dual air boxes). It only seems to affect things when I am getting off of the gas. So, what happens is if I am say trying to follow someone and I am adjusting the gas pedal to maintain distance behind someone (ie, get on the gas some, let off, get on the gas some, get off, ......), if I do this too many times, the check engine light comes on with a P0101 code (ie, MAF sensor problem). When I hook up my code reader to monitor the air flow, I can step on the gas as hard or soft as I want and the car will do what I am after. But, if I get the air flow up a little bit from idle and then let off the gas, it will tell me that right after letting off the gas, the air flow changed too fast, resulting in an error. As long as you only get a limited number of these over time, the car doesn't care. I have replaced both of the MAF sensors (one at a time) and this does not seem to change anything. It does seem to be a bit more sensitive to tripping the CEL if I remove the intake tubes on the upstream side of the air box (ie, the ones that suck the cold air from in front of the radiator).

Anyone experienced something like this? The only thing that I can think of is I have something goofey with a MAF sensor (kinda ruled this one out by swapping around the sensors) or my throttle body has too strong of a spring (resulting in it shutting too fast, never heard of this being a problem, but......). Interested in hearing what others may have experienced.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

If it matters, the engine is a naturally aspirated 5.0L engine in a 2012 XJ.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Could it be a problem with your engine air filters? On the XK I have heard problems where air filters did not come from the same batch and varied the airflow enough between each side to cause a CEL.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

amcdonal86, I have contemplated that, but it does it with both the paper filters and K&N filters. So, that doesn't seem to be related to the issue. Doing a little bit of reading, it did mention that you could have an air leak on one side and that could cause this problem. But, I would think under heavier acceleration, the leak would be enough to trigger something. I know the MAF sensors are fairly equal in flow at idle because I have disconnected one at a time while watching the air flows and it drops by half regardless which one I pull. May have to play a little bit by revving the engine with one disconnected to see if I can notice a difference.