Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money Doesn't Always Buy Happiness

Old 03-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 169 Likes on 103 Posts

People who keep score in life by counting dollars are missing out on so much. I feel sorry for them.
No points are awarded for being the wealthiest person in the cemetery.
I believe that the quality of a person's life can be measured by the length of his funeral procession.
How many people dropped what they were doing at a random time to pay last respects? It's powerful.

The following 3 users liked this post by stu46h:
89 Jacobra (03-29-2019), LnrB (03-29-2019), o1xjr (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts

I knew a guy once that made great money...he would go to the atm to get a receipt printout with his balance and if he were to exchange numbers with a gal he would use the receipt for his.....oddly enough it worked more than it failed....he usually ended up with an 8 to 9.5 and he was about as average as a guy gets....go figure

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9 View Post
I knew a guy once that made great money...he would go to the atm to get a receipt printout with his balance and if he were to exchange numbers with a gal he would use the receipt for his.....oddly enough it worked more than it failed....he usually ended up with an 8 to 9.5 and he was about as average as a guy gets....go figure
I bet he gets to hear things like, "hey sexy, what's your mother's maiden name?" And "What was the name of your third grade teacher?" A lot, from the prospecting enthusiasts he hangs with lol.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Received 4,492 Likes on 3,422 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
Some of the Happiest people I know have little in the eyes of society. They live in a very modest house in a modest part of town and their car is several years old.

But what they have, they gladly share. Their home neat and clean, and is open to friends, family and neighbors; they give new meaning to the word Hospitality. They help others to the extent possible, whether in practical of financial ways. I'm proud to count them as my friends.

Some people call them "poor." Not ME!!
(';')
Our house is average in a good suburb close to the city, our new car is a 2011 model we got cheap. Never bought a car newer than 6 years old. (and that was only once).
When we replace something we advertise the old one for free on the Gumtree because someone is always worse off and will make good use of it.
Our house has always been open to visitors, some needy. Spent numerous hours running people around or helping move stuff even when really couldn't afford the fuel to do so.
We don't have a lot of spare cash but would rather give something away than be beaten down on th sale price by some scumbag who wants it for nothing.

We are about to move out of the city to a lifestyle we will enjoy, only because we bought a house 22 years ago nobody wanted and now it is 8 minutes from the CBD and sought after real estate.
Sitting on that property bringing up a family was tough at times, but it paid off in the end. So we are hoping the money will buy a little happiness.
Not saying we are not happy, just moving on to the next stage of life with a bit more dispoable cash in hand to do some of the things we have dreamed about for 25 years.

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-29-2019 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Received 104 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h View Post
People who keep score in life by counting dollars are missing out on so much. I feel sorry for them.
No points are awarded for being the wealthiest person in the cemetery.
I believe that the quality of a person's life can be measured by the length of his funeral procession.
How many people dropped what they were doing at a random time to pay last respects? It's powerful.
I agree, I usually see hearses, not armored trucks, bringing the deceased to the cemetery.

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
I bet he gets to hear things like, "hey sexy, what's your mother's maiden name?" And "What was the name of your third grade teacher?" A lot, from the prospecting enthusiasts he hangs with lol.
Yup, there's the old saying about "A fool and his money...."

Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
yeah he was one of those guys, Einstein smart, but no common sense....and this was back in the 80s big hair days and miami vice wardrobe

Last edited by scottjh9; 03-29-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Addition