My new hobby - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new hobby

Old 11-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default My new hobby

Well, not so much new, but restarted... model trains.. when I was 10-12 my Grandad had some really nice model trains (that he had bought when I was born, probably to play with me with) he used to let me watch him operate them... lol
Anyways I started to buy bits and pieces with my pocket money, and paper round money, by the time we moved to America I had quite a large collection, however, due to moving an entire household from UK in boxes, my trains were left behind.. no big deal back then, because I had discovered girls!!! ))

OK, stay on task Darren... My Grandad passed away a few years ago, and this year, my Nan moved into a nursing home, so I was sent back to UK to clear out all the stuff from attics and cellars etc, amongst which were my grandads trains.......
All packed up in an old steamer trunk!!! My mum has been back a few times clearing out last of stuff, and then sold the house, shipping back all the keepsake and heirloom stuff...

anyways, I had rambled on enough, time for some pics, and I will talk more about them after...

Old 11-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

All the above trains are Hornby.. the two in this post are Wrenn, (a bit more upscale)

Old 11-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Coaches etc

Old 11-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

There was also tons of track and paperwork, ie: books etc... Any older English folk here will appreciate the price...

Old 11-23-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have learned that what lies of me now is a bit more difficult and certainly way more costly than when I was a kid, used to be able to to jumble sales etc and pick stuff for next to nothing!!! No such luck now, going to pretty much do everything on internet, because apparently oo gauge (used in UK) is not the same as ho gauge (used in US) they do however run on same track, so.... wish me luck folks!!

Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Thanked 1,527 Times in 1,318 Posts

Certainly will wish you luck...they look amazing!

Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hey great stuff there Darren!!
2 and 6 or half a crown.
My father was into the oo gauge models and so is my older brother. I didnt share their passion because I was totally absorbed by motorcycles from the age of 11 when I used to ride off road on a mates parents farm.

Although I did used to volunteer on the Ffestiniog Railway in Snowdonia with my brother during many weekends and school holidays.

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,413 Times in 1,066 Posts

Darren, although a sad chapter for Nan, what a great thing to receive!

Back in the fifties, Lionel was the train of choice in the US. My eldest brother was given a brand new Lionel Train set for Christmas. It has lasted 60+ years and has been handed down to my young daughter's. We relish in setting up Uncle Arts train around the base of our Christmas Tree every season. My girls, myself and all my brothers enjoy watching the girls be "Conductors".

Pictures to follow....

Old 11-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,787 Times in 2,364 Posts

Darren, trains are a fun hobby. That is what I have been playing with for the last 40ish years (since I was 6). Model trains have come a long ways since the stuff you have. Look into "DCC". You put a little computer chip into each locomotive and this allows you to put 10 trains on the rails and only move 1 at a time or team multiple locomotives together and use them as a single locomotive. Tons of options with the modern trains. If you need some guidance on how to fix something, let me know. I run a quazi repair shop out of my house and have fixed a few Hornby units. I have quite the collection at my place and I am in the process of upgrading 16 locomotives for my Dad.

Enjoy the trains. I have a few sets that take me back to what my dad had when I was a kid.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Thanked 1,117 Times in 905 Posts

I especially like the model of LNER Flying Scotsman.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,544 Posts

I miss the Lionel train sets from my childhood in the late 1950s / early 1960s. I have long regretted giving them away before I went off to college in 1971. I also gave away my Erector Sets and slot-car tracks. I foolishly thought I was done with the trinkets of my childhood once I turned 18. Man, how I wish I had kept those toys....

Old 11-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Jon89, do some looking around. There are train shows that you can pick a lot of that stuff up still, Lionel especially. We could even possibly meet at say a train show in Richmond, VA and I can help you find what you need. It also will not cost you as much as you may think. All depends on what you are wanting to get again. The big thing is the power supply (aka, transformers). Make sure to get one that is around 50 watts. There are a lot of power supplies out there that only put out 15 watts or so and while they work for some locomotives, they don't work for all. If you want to do this and are not sure what to get, let me know.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,544 Posts

Thermo,

Thanks for the offer, but it just would not be the same. I want my own original sets back, not replacements. That part of my life will simply have to live on in my memories....

Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Jon89, do some looking around. There are train shows that you can pick a lot of that stuff up still, Lionel especially. We could even possibly meet at say a train show in Richmond, VA and I can help you find what you need. It also will not cost you as much as you may think. All depends on what you are wanting to get again. The big thing is the power supply (aka, transformers). Make sure to get one that is around 50 watts. There are a lot of power supplies out there that only put out 15 watts or so and while they work for some locomotives, they don't work for all. If you want to do this and are not sure what to get, let me know.
On the transformer Note... all my stuff came with a monster one but unable to use is US, so I found closest thing online, an H and M duette

This is the original...

This is what i picked up

Old 11-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Darren, amps wise, that is more than sufficient. The big thing to keep in mind with this unit is to ensure you are using full wave rectification. You go to half wave and you may find that the locomotives may run a little hot. But, after that, it should do what you are after.

As for your other power supply, what about it does not make it useable? If it is the plug, then look on e-bay and they have converters that will allow you to go from the english plug to a US standard plug. If it is a matter of 220V vs 120V, they make converters to go between the two. Granted, could always get a 220V to 120V step down transformer and wire it backwards (ie, make 120V the input, the 220V the output). That will get you up to the 220V that England runs on (as I recall).

Old 11-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

It's the voltage and the frequency, lt is 220volts at 50 hz, and US is 120 at 60 hz... I did put a plug on it and plugged it into my welder receptacle, and it did move the trains but there was a massive hum from it, so decided replacement was in my best ( and safest) interest...

Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Darren, oh yeah, forgot that they run on 50Hz over there, not 60. That can definitely mess up some stuff.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,554 Posts

Oh, Darren, these are Wonderful!
I come from a Railroad family since 1909.
My dad built an Enormous HO setup when I was a wee lass, it took up nearly a whole room in the house. I think my brother still has all that stuff somewhere. I need to ask him about it.
(';')

Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,181 Times in 896 Posts

When I was a kid my uncle had a layout in his shed. When family and friends found out about it, and for years afterwards, all he had for birthdays and Christmas was an endless supply of small trees and tiny people.
I had a Minic Motorways (Minic Motorways) as a kid which was great as it was the same scale as my train set and you could even get working level crossings and trains driving down the street and crashing into cars coming the other way (just like real life I suppose).
I even had a white MKII Jag police car complete with flashing blue light! That probably explains a lot.
Much more sophisticated than Scalextric.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Darren, trains are a fun hobby. That is what I have been playing with for the last 40ish years (since I was 6). Model trains have come a long ways since the stuff you have. Look into "DCC". You put a little computer chip into each locomotive and this allows you to put 10 trains on the rails and only move 1 at a time or team multiple locomotives together and use them as a single locomotive. Tons of options with the modern trains. If you need some guidance on how to fix something, let me know. I run a quazi repair shop out of my house and have fixed a few Hornby units. I have quite the collection at my place and I am in the process of upgrading 16 locomotives for my Dad.

Enjoy the trains. I have a few sets that take me back to what my dad had when I was a kid.
Thermo...

have you had any luck converting ringfield motors to cd motors?? Found a few how to vids, but it seems like it's a bit of a bodge job to me... my blue diesel is dead!!! The ringfield in it looks like my grandad already attempted to fix it, it's now missing springs and brushes, and 3 pole armature inside will not move at all...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new hobby

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: