My new hobby - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new hobby

Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,343 Posts

Darren, I have not done a job like that, but I watched a video on it and it seems like something that would be doable. I have repaired a Hornby locomotive before and a site you might be interested in is https://www.hornby.com/us-en/shop/locomotives.html. That is for the company and you might find that you can get a new motor through them. Not sure what it would cost, but at a minimum you are going to find lots of useful information there. You can even call them up and they will give you the low down on what they can do for you. I seem to recall them being pretty helpful with my questions. But, you may find that you can still get the part you are after. May even find it possible to upgrade to a newer style chassis and simply put the old shell on top. Going to be a more expensive way to go, but you will have something that is almost "snap the shell off, put on new chassis and you are done" easy.

If you go to the main page (what I linked above), you can go to their "Help & Advice" tab and under that, you will find access to all sorts of info. I would say to start with the build sheet for your locomotive and see how the current model matches up to what you have. if they appear to be the same, you should be golden in getting a part that will be very easy to replace. If you find that they look completely different drive wise, then still give Hornby a call and see if they have any of the older style parts in stock. They might surprise you.

The big thing with doing what the CD motor conversion is that you need to simply take your time and make sure that you keep things centered as much as possible. You get things off a little bit, it is going to make things go south quickly.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I got everything operating smoothly, even did the cd motor conversion for the blue diesel, took a whopping 15 minutes... then I went on ebay, just looking to see what could be found over here,, not a lot, but what I did find I got for an absolute steal!!!! I got my long lusted over intercity125 (for $1.75), a few more wagons, and the piece de resistance... I scored a 1964 triang stephensons rocket with 5 coaches for 99 bucks...

Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Well damn,, the pics didnt upload.... will try again when I have a better signal

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rocket

Its itty bitty

Wife says its ugly

Old 01-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Model Railroading was my first hobby, and at age 10, got a soldering iron as a birthday present. Early on, I would wire lights in O-Scale cars that didn't even need them. Eventually, I started to acquire my favorite trains...New York City subway trains, which presented opportunities for wiring and scenery like no other.

Bottom line is that Model Railroading laid out my future in Electrical Engineering, and LEDs are now the lighting of choice. Eventually, these skills transitioned into restoration of '70's Marantz audio amplifiers and receivers (and have kept my old oscilloscope just in case)].

Little did I know that being a electronics guru was a prerequisite for Jaguar ownership! All thanks to my interest in model trains!

Last edited by Warspite; 01-04-2019 at 08:46 PM.