Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official thread about nothing

Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,472 Posts

It rained today, My jag got wet. (I think it is the first wet day since I got it in December)
saving on mower fuel though.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 632 Likes on 455 Posts

It didn't rain here today. My Jag didn't get wet. I think it's the first dry day since October 2012.
Went and bought some fuel for the mower !

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (06-17-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 4,759 Likes on 4,275 Posts

It didn't rain here today, the Jag is a looooong way away, there is no grass.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 603 Likes on 420 Posts

Le Mans Week today and rain caused some mess thanks to stupid flat out going idiot GT class Ferrari driver as well

Ferraris do nothing but lead to catastrophic incidents and shunts on Le Mans and despite their race history they only occupy gt class not LMP
The last time when they raced in LMP was a century ago lol
So, if you have guts Ferrari guys go enter LMP1 and stop ruining LMP cars' race parade

Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 464 Posts

Didn't rain for the first time in a week, 3.5 acre lawn to mow and mosquitoes the size of eagles. I'd rather drive the Jag.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,472 Likes on 2,709 Posts

I borrowed the neighbor's tractor today and brought home some BIG rocks for decorating the yard.
(';')

Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM

95 Jeep blew a welch plug, right between the back of the block and the trans. Jag was running too well,something had to give(lol)
Removal of in/out manifold,fuel injection, trans,transfer case,drop front suspension, front and rear crank seal need doing so oil pump and timing chain out too....here we go again.
Another job to stop me doing the XJ6 steering/suspension

Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Welsh plugs in $&##@% awkward places

Tread very quietly grasshopper ... tread very quietly.

All those beautiful XK engines in Jaguar saloons (have you checked the XJ6?) have several Welsh Plugs in awkward places ... and one in a downright impossible to service position at the rear just above the bell housing over the flywheel.

Pulling the bonnet, radiator and coolers, suspension, engine and transmission, just to replace a $1 Welsh plug makes for a really "character building" weekend.

You are a brave man if you start cursing the Jeep anywhere near where Miss Fireball can hear. Why be so rash as to invite "attention seeking" from a jealous Jag? But hey ... it could be fun to live that dangerously.

Cheers,
Ken

o1xjr (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Is a character building weekend a bit like all my Jag mates turning up to help?...and drinking my beer.
I'll look forward to it. Might be a long haul for Grant,SA to Qld to hold the JD bottle and delegate authority.

I still can't believe I have this in my garage (on the street actually),to drive whenever I feel the urge. Which is a few times a day,just for the hell of it most times. My wife always says take the Mazda...fuel.
As far as jealousy goes, the XJ6 is creeping into Eldest's(I know we shouldn't have favourites) garage spot,but the Jeep hasn't been out in cold since 1997 when we got it,until now.
Official thread about nothing-dsc_8819.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 06-18-2014 at 10:15 AM.
cat_as_trophy (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Wow Clarke ... that is so cool.
What a beautiful car.

o1xjr (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Default I feel the Aussies are Thieves

That pic was taken on our way to the fire!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr View Post
95 Jeep blew a welch plug, [...]
Is a Welch plug what Mercans call Freeze Plug? or Soft plug?
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Official thread about nothing-freezeplugs002c.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM

I'm guessing you are right. In NZ we called them Frost plugs,Australians call the welsh plugs,and you call em something else. They all look the same in pics if you Google it.

Always a Frost Plug to me.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 4,759 Likes on 4,275 Posts

We (I) called them core plugs.

Is calling them Welsh PC?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Again, Norri is absolutely spot on! Gee, he's good ... he's very, very good ... because calling them Welsh plugs (throughout Oz) Frost plugs (as per Kiwi), Freeze plugs or Soft plugs (Mercan) ... really avoids what they are, and what purpose they serve.

Thanks Norri, for reminding us ...

When I started spanner twirling, I always assumed they were to provide entry to the internal waterways inside the engine (to allow internal hygiene for the cleaning obsessive?) or worse, a low cost failure point for boiling water to escape (when all else was about to fail?). On one point at least, there was universal agreement ... they were the work of the devil ... a stupid and unnecessary embarrassment to good design.

The correct answer, when revealed and as hinted at by Norri (core plugs), prove that these plugs are not only necessary but indeed vital ... during manufacture. The internal waterways, being a closed or blind system, require an internal pattern core (traditionally sand) around which the engine block is cast. These external openings are provided at strategic points around the block to allow that core sand to be evacuated after the casting process ... hence "core plugs" ... and neither the Welsh, nor Frosts, nor Softs should warrant a look-in.

Here endeth the lesson ... interesting eh? Now the question that remains is this ...
Do they still use sand in this or any other pattern making / metal casting process?

Cheers,
Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
LnrB (06-18-2014), o1xjr (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 508 Posts

Sand is both cheap and plentiful. It will be around for a long time.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy View Post
[...]
On one point at least, there was universal agreement ... they were the work of the devil ... a stupid and unnecessary embarrassment to good design.

[...]

Cheers,
Ken
Thank you for the lesson, Ken.

I wonder how many people have thrown up their hands in total dismay when they came out one morning to go to work, only to find their car has sprung a leak that's Obviously between the back of the engine and the front of the transmission, Under the bell housing, and it's not just a small drip.

One morning I discovered my work truck has developed such a leak, and I knew Immediately the cause and the required repair. Fortunately, it was an old and simple vehicle, so I loosened the rad cap, finished my days work watching the coolant level closely, refilling as required, and over the weekend got it repaired. It didn't cost much, but the inconvenience of getting to the problem was ludicrous!

I was quite annoyed.
(';')

cat_as_trophy (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 AM

It rained today, My jag got wet. (I think it is the first wet day since I got it in December)
saving on mower fuel though.
I took it out in the rain twice today and about to do it again now to pick my daughter from work. Hate getting it dirty,but hate not driving it even more.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default Limping home with a leaky core plug ...

Hey ... very smart lady indeed! You have just awakened another valuable lesson I have not had reason to remember for many a long year ... Sorry if these snippets sound like lectures (yech) but that's how we learned them and once provoked, I'm amazed to find all sorts of interesting information deposited away in the little grey cells upstairs ...

If you have sprung such a leak, is it safe to drive home? ... then later to the repairer? Answer? Unless you live interstate, YES ... but with a big caveat which we might now call the LnrB solution ...
  • loosen and remove the rad cap and then top up with coolant;
  • secure a cloth over the rad neck to stop surge spill;
  • keep a supply of spare coolant in the car;
  • drive at moderate speed; stop often; check coolant and top up; then resume.
There is good science behind your solution (as no doubt you found). Normally, the radiator cap pressurizes the system to (say) 13 -21psi to raise the boiling point of the coolant. By removing the cap, that leaky core plug or split rad hose will still leak, but is unlikely to become a steaming geyser. Surge will inevitably spill some coolant from the rad, but provided the pump and fan are working as they should, and the car is not driven aggressively, and rested and checked every few miles, then the engine will not boil.

Well done Elinor ... for reminding me of something I had long forgotten, and which may help one of our members avoid an expensive and time consuming tow some day.

Cheers,

Ken

LnrB (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 464 Posts

In my University days, I replaced a freeze plug (Welch plug, core plug) on a Tr250 with a nickel or maybe it was a quarter. Should I still feel guilty after 30 years?

o1xjr (06-19-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official thread about nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: