The small things that piss you off,that shouldn't. - Page 69 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > General Jaguar Forums > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

The small things that piss you off,that shouldn't.

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The small things that piss you off,that shouldn't.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

That is what I am planning on doing buying a breaker bar from Home Depot. My sockets are an exact fit.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackra_1 For This Useful Post:
LnrB (03-07-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Microsoft tech help????baaah humbug.
Recently, I had daily notices that my password was needing changing. Nothing on which p/w it was, so I ignored it thinking it might be spam.
Then one day as I started up the system, I found out it was my windows password that needed changing. I then had to sign on manually each time I started up the system.

I did find a website that gives instructions on how to automatically get the system to sign on without me manually doing it.
But first I called m/s tech help and wanted to know if this was a common occurrence and will it happen again. I got a young lady who I could barely understand (not the first time that happened). I did allow her to commander my computer in hopes she would be able to fix it, silly me. After about 15 minutes of her fiddling around, we said goodbye. I restarted the computer hoping she fixed it, nope. I then did the self help and fixed it in less than 2 minutes.
Never found out if it was a common occurrence or not.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

AHHHH! To ERRRR. is Human, To really FUTCH UP, takes a Computer!!!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,556 Posts

You were Very fortunate, Jay,
I was warned very early in my computer ownership to Never allow an online Tech to commandeer my computer (enable remote access), as they change stuff without your knowledge, permission or understanding (as you learned) and sometimes you Never get it back to operational status.

I'm glad you got it back.
(';')

Old 03-09-2019, 01:42 AM
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,357 Posts

I was waiting at a loading dock this morning when a bogan (redneck in some places) said "Jeeps are crap, why would you drive one". It turns out after a bit of chat he had never owned, driven or knew anyone who owned one. I told him I had two Jeeps over the last 20 years and the most reliable and capable cars I have owned.

When he was leaving I said "enjoy your new Graet Wall for a year or so".

You can't make a statement like that without actually having personal knowledge, I don't like BMW's or Merc's but I don't bag owners of them. They look nice but not my cup of tea so I don't comment.

If you have proof to back up a statement fair enough.

I know for a fact Great Wall cars are pretty average, I picked a 2 year old one up for my brother, the 2 hour drive home was ****. And the money he spent getting it sorted was insane. And a contractor I know replaced his Hilux with one and it spent more time at the dealer than at his house until he replaced it with a Triton.
I feel I can comment on Great Wall from experience, not just hearsay.

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-09-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Clarke!
Tell us how you Really feel. It's not good for your blood pressure to hold it all in like you do.
LOL
(';')

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LnrB For This Useful Post:
89 Jacobra (03-09-2019), zray (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the "Guy" got his Dander Up, LOL!

Jack

Old 03-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,184 Times in 899 Posts

I have often wondered what a Dander is and why and where you would stick it up.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I have often wondered what a Dander is and why and where you would stick it up.
This is as good an explanation as any I suppose.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...dander-up.html
(';')

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LnrB For This Useful Post:
89 Jacobra (03-11-2019), Daf11e (03-09-2019), Steve M (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,320 Posts

Thanks Elinor, never heard dander before, growing up till now its always been "dandruff up".
You learn something everyday

The Following User Says Thank You to Daf11e For This Useful Post:
LnrB (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Default Young educated people know nothing about car maintenance

Just a quick vent!

I have my wife's friend's son, 20 year old, who's been kindly "loaned" to me on Sat. mornings to help me on my 1999 XK8.

Found out he's had no education on cars at all. He's got a driving license, but didn't know what spanners to use or what a ratchet wrench was. I was absolutely gob smacked! He didn't even know how to wire a domestic plug!

This is a smart, well educated kid ..... so who should be giving this essential general education ..... in school or the Dad's responsibility?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yes!
I'm continually astonished at the total lack of Practical Knowledge exhibited by those who
a) grew up Not on the farm but probably in an Urban setting (apartments), and
b) those who grew up watching their parents hire everything done because they simply aren't allowed to actually DO anything in the apartment complex, and,
c) where they get the money to hire everything done!

No one is allowed to perform even the simplest domestic wiring in Rentals of any kind, the Nursery of most of the current populace.

Historically, Dad was the one to teach this sort of thing to the children (even girls if he was smart, because no one will take advantage of their ignorance in such matters) or maybe if the high school has a Shop Class (they're closed here, too much expense, but moreso Liability) but if Dad doesn't know (because HE grew up in apartments) or is MIA, then it looks like you got the short straw.

I have taught more than one teen-age girl (and even one teen boy) some of the simple things you mention. First on the list, HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE! and then enough basic mechanical knowledge so they can sound like they have an idea what's going on when the Repair Shop is blowing smoke, looking for a sucker.
(';')

Old 03-10-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by DavidYau View Post
J"......... This is a smart, well educated kid ..... so who should be giving this essential general education ..... in school or the Dad's responsibility?
one question, Does the lad crave the knowledge ? If he does, then he needs to show some initiative and seek out a few mentors. If he really doesn't want to learn, then what can anyone do ?

When I bought my kids their 1st cars, they had to change a tire without help before they got anywhere close to the drivers seat, and read the entire owner manual as well. There was a little griping at first, but surprisingly they got into it and ended up wanting to know more than they could from just the owners manual.

Z

Old 03-11-2019, 02:16 PM

It should be any parent's responsibility to teach general knowledge. I tried to teach my nephew about things mechanical but he showed little interest (his Dad has an interest but little knowledge). I taught my two daughters the basics of auto care (checking fluids, tire changing, etc.) but the older one wanted to learn more and has. She regularly does oil changes and such for her friends and housemates. She had the starter conk out on her XJ6 in Charlotte, NC (about 70 miles from where we live) and I had to go rescue her. She went to Autozone and bought a new starter, bummed a ride back to Charlotte with a friend. jacked up the car, changed the starter, and drove home. She told me this story after the fact and I told her I was very proud of her.

My gripe? She has stopped driving that XJ and it's sitting behind a barn at a friend's house. She won't tell me what's wrong with it even though I've offered my help in fixing it.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,184 Times in 899 Posts

I joined my first ship before I was 17.
Before I left home I could wire a plug, hang a door, grind in valves, do an oil change, cook a roast dinner, clean, wash, iron and sew.
I drew the line at knitting though.
Some of the youngsters these days can barely tie their own shoelaces which I guess is why Velcro straps were invented.
And why can't they do simple maths in their heads?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 PM

I may sound like an old fart, but the kids today can't manage anything unless there is an app on their phone for it.
The few who are actually capable will become very valuable once we are out of the workforce.
I have this same conversation with many guys in their 50s and 60s.
The day is coming.