Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes. Fun, laughs and good times here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay. Comprehensive Claim Coming...

Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Yay. Comprehensive Claim Coming...

About 4 years ago, I was attending a bridal shower at a nice brewery/bar and grille that a friend owned. My 2000 XKR got keyed resulting in half a repaint (and me paying the rest to have a full repaint). Kind of a mixed blessing as I was considering some paint work due to clearcoat issues on one fender. Still not ideal as I didn't want to hit insurance.

Today. I notice my back bumper has a scrape and is misaligned on my 07 XKR; I have no idea when this happened, but it wasn't this way a week or two ago. This car was repainted by the former owner due to a car wash messing it up (A badly calibrated laser wash) maybe 10-15k ago. The paint is beautiful and I definitely didn't want this. At least it wasn't vandalism this time and appears to be a run of the mill jackass hit and run. I'll be looking at getting this claimed and repaired this week...

Anyone else got the luck?

Old 04-27-2019, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,215 Likes on 921 Posts

Hardly lucky; don't your insurance premiums go up when you make a claim?

Old 05-01-2019, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

I suppose this could vary by location, but in my state comprehensive claims do not cause premiums to go up. I just had a $6200 comprehensive claim on my 2018 Ford F-150 plus $900 for a replacement rental with $0 deductible and no increase in premiums. A tractor-trailer driving in front of me drove through a tree that was overhanging the highway, breaking off limbs and branches which flew back and damaged my truck. BTW, that $0 deductible is grandfathered because I've been with the same insurance company for 36 years. It is no longer offered otherwise. I also have only $100 deductible on collision; again, not available except by being grandfathered for long-time customers.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
About 4 years ago, I was attending a bridal shower at a nice brewery/bar and grille that a friend owned. My 2000 XKR got keyed resulting in half a repaint (and me paying the rest to have a full repaint). Kind of a mixed blessing as I was considering some paint work due to clearcoat issues on one fender. Still not ideal as I didn't want to hit insurance.

Today. I notice my back bumper has a scrape and is misaligned on my 07 XKR; I have no idea when this happened, but it wasn't this way a week or two ago. This car was repainted by the former owner due to a car wash messing it up (A badly calibrated laser wash) maybe 10-15k ago. The paint is beautiful and I definitely didn't want this. At least it wasn't vandalism this time and appears to be a run of the mill jackass hit and run. I'll be looking at getting this claimed and repaired this week...

Anyone else got the luck?
I could be wrong but good luck having it repaired under comprehensive.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by swayne View Post
I could be wrong but good luck having it repaired under comprehensive.
Car wasn't in a collision with a person in it. That said, it's getting put through today. If they deny, it's a grand is all.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 80sRule View Post
Car wasn't in a collision with a person in it. That said, it's getting put through today. If they deny, it's a grand is all.
Inbox
In my 40 years of collision repair I have never seen a hit and run covered by comprehensive coverage.That's considered a liability claim and if you don;t know who hit it and ran you have no one to charge, so insurance defaults to collision coverage.Personally I hope you get it took care of under comp coverage but like I said good luck.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Inbox
In my 40 years of collision repair I have never seen a hit and run covered by comprehensive coverage.That's considered a liability claim and if you don;t know who hit it and ran you have no one to charge, so insurance defaults to collision coverage.Personally I hope you get it took care of under comp coverage but like I said good luck.
You're right... lack of knowledge/proof of what caused the damage doesn't necessarily make it a comprehensive claim, but a lot of that determination can be influenced by your insurance agent. Also, depending on how long you've been with your insurer, many policies offer one-claim forgiveness so even a collision claim may not affect your rates. I too, hope your claim can slide through as comprehensive but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dga57 View Post
You're right... lack of knowledge/proof of what caused the damage doesn't necessarily make it a comprehensive claim, but a lot of that determination can be influenced by your insurance agent. Also, depending on how long you've been with your insurer, many policies offer one-claim forgiveness so even a collision claim may not affect your rates. I too, hope your claim can slide through as comprehensive but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
like your claim you described earlier if the driver of the tractor- trailer stopped and was on record as causing your damage your policy may have fixed you damage but more then likely subjugated the claim to the trucking companies insurance company,

Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

like your claim you described earlier if the driver of the tractor- trailer stopped and was on record as causing your damage your policy may have fixed you damage but more then likely subjugated the claim to the trucking companies insurance company,
The truck did not stop but I did manage to get a license plate number. My insurance agent and the adjuster who examined my truck later both said that information was irrelevant because the fault lay with the state's Highway Department for allowing the tree to overhang the road - it should have been pruned earlier (the entire row of trees were trimmed back immediately following this incident). They deemed it a comprehensive claim because the branches were flying toward me. If the mishap with the tree had happened earlier and the limbs were in the road and I ran over or into them and damaged my vehicle, then that would have been a collision claim. In either of those scenarios, the truck driver was not considered to be at fault. I do not know if police officers would have seen that the same way, but so far as I'm concerned, all that matters is how my insurance company sees it. The truck is in the shop and repairs should be complete by the middle of next week.