Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas Do you have a Jaguar model not listed above? This is the place to talk about it!

Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting history Neville--thanks. In a small-world coincidence, I actually was invited to tour the St. Helens Pilkington plant back in the day: My Dad was in the glass business for some 40 years in California and did regular business with Pilkington. When I was about 14, he took the family to Europe and one of our stops was the Pilkington factory, where we were guests of my Dad's sales rep. It was the first time I ever got to see glass being fabricated from raw sand.

That was around 1972. If I'd had enough foresight, I could have snagged a XJ13 windscreen then!

Damn! Shoulda, woulda, coulda......

They're still making it there today. Check this out--there's a cool 3 minute video at the bottom of the page.
Pilkington in St Helens: look inside the glass factory - Liverpool Echo

Cheers!

Scott

Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I found another XJ13 build here if anyone is interested https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/med...type=3&fref=nf

Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Wow--thanks Cambo. Looks like a pretty righteous machine. Who designed the exhaust? Frank Gehry?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I just stumbled across it on Facebook so I don't know anything more about it.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Spinsky,
I just stumbled onto this post and had to read through all of the previous entries. What an ambitious project and what a gorgeous automobile. Are you going to allow visitors to ogle it? I'm up in the bay area a couple of times a year and would make a special trip to see it.

Congratulations!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:10 PM

tberg:

R U kidding?!? Who would do a project like this and NOT want folks to see it!

I'm up in Marin County and welcome any like-minded fools to come by and check us out when it gets here. I was just given word from the builder Friday that the last missing part (rear windscreen) has just arrived, so all that remains for completion (I am informed) is final tuning on the dyno. If the stars align, the car may actually go on a truck before the end of '15 and arrive here soon after. I'll definitely write again when that happens. Meanwhile, shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info.

Regards,

Scott

Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for the video and all the pictures. This is an awesome project. I hope to see it someday.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

Was the car ever delivered?

Old 08-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Default Still waiting.......

Still waiting, if you can believe it. There have been numerous drivetrain problems, mostly with the fuel injection and cooling apparently. I just wait. Gave up asking for an ETA long ago.... I'm told things finally got sorted on the FI, so hopefully we're close.
I'm gonna try attaching some pix--not sure if I already posted these or not. They are all from my inspection at RCR back in August 2015--essentially a year ago.
If indeed the vehicle ever is completed and delivered, I'll rejoice and post some new shots. Any and all will be welcome to check it out. Thx for your interest.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-live-jag-2a-reduced.jpg   Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-live-jag-5a-reduced.jpg   Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-live-jag-4-reduced.jpg   Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-chassis-view.jpg   Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-live-jag-7a-reduced.jpg  

Has anyone own or has build XJ 13 Jag-live-jag-9-reduced.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rocketa9x (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had this model at RCR bookmarked for about six months now. I'm seriously thinking about making it my next project instead of a FFR GTM. I know it is quiet frustrating having a car stuck in purgatory, but given the exotic nature of a custom built FI for a V12, I think you are actually in pretty good shape. I've seen far simpler builds progress worse than this. Good luck!!

Old 10-15-2017, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any updates on this great car? How is it driving etc. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinsky
This inquiry has induced me to finally come out of the closet to reveal that I am in the last stages of an XJ13 replica build project. I have zero aptitude or ability so have commissioned all work to be completed for me by some very talented gentlemen, as described below.

I waited till now to make mention of this project since I wanted to have something to actually share apart from merely my pipe dreams. But we are getting pretty close to having a real car to show the world, so I am joining this thread now to let anyone interested see what we have so far. I'll continue to update as we reach new milestones.

The car is being built by Fran Hall of Race Car Replicas in the Detroit area. Fran has extensive experience in replica production and also builds his own race car designs. He started the XJ13 for me last year and the basic shape of the car is now visible. He has used a fiberglass body over a reinforced aluminum monocoque chassis.

The car will be left-hand drive and will be finished as a road car, not a racer (i.e., a finished interior cabin with carpets, door panels, etc.). From the exterior, however, it will look pretty much like the original XJ13 with a slight alteration of the body color. I attached a couple shots here but Fran may want to add more if available.

The magnificent engine has just been completed by Fran Olsen of Fox Engineering in North Carolina. (I know: two "Fran's"; how likely is that?!?). After much hemming and hawing, I decided to have a Jag V-12 produced for the project instead of throwing in a far less costly crate GM motor. In the interest of greater authenticity and given the fact that the bay is always on display with this car, true Jag hardware became a must. Fortunately I found Fran, who was beyond enthusiastic for the project.

He created a bespoke EFI system (Fox specializes in EFI for high performance and race applications), built custom velocity stacks and intake system, reworked the cam covers to match, and did a million other things for the fuel delivery that are way beyond my level of comprehension. He then mated it all up to a completely rebuild V-12 engine sourced from an XJS. A separate thread on this forum has more detail as well as videos and pix by Fran showing the running machine. See:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-95447/page19/

Hopefully the photos will upload here someplace so you can see what we are talking about. Suffice it to say I am extremely excited to see this project getting close to the end. We don't have a finish date but as you can see we are well under way now. I'll post again when there is more to share.

Scott
I happened to be at Fran's RCR shop when your car was being built. Awesome vehicle! Hope your enjoying it!

Picture I happened to take: