Photography Interested in Photgraphy? Discuss equipment, angles , lenses and techniques here. Photos are a must of course....

Roadtrip pictures - Texas Hill country and South Texas plains

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Roadtrip pictures - Texas Hill country and South Texas plains

Just came back from a mini road-trip around Texas Hill country and South Texas plains. The routes are:

day 1 - Round Rock - Lampasas - San Saba - Llano - Mason - Fredericksburg - Kerrville - Bandera - San Antonio
day 2 - San Antonio - Floresville - Cestohowa - Panna Maria - Karnes City - Goliad - Cuero - Hallettsville - Schulenburg - Flatonia - Praha - High Hill - La Grange - then back to Round Rock

If you saw my previous post on another Texas road trip, I have affinities to historic courthouses and historic structures in general. This trip is no different, took lots of courthouses pictures, churches, and a couple of historical missions in San Antonio. I also visited the bald eagle nest near Llano, TX.

If you live in Texas, the small hill country town of Llano host 2 nests for wintering bald eagles. One nest currently is empty but another is occupied. There's at least 1 juvenile and 1 adult and they can clearly be seen from the side of the highway. I say that seeing these magnificent raptors is a good worthwhile trip.

These are some of the pictures - some are unprocessed shots, some are HDR shots. I posted the album link (trip photo start with photo #19):
https://picasaweb.google.com/r0m8470...eat=directlink

Fayette county courthouse and car:

Dusk on Texas plain:

Llano bald eagle nest:

Goliad county courthouse:

Western Auto mural - Lampasas, TX:

Llano county courthouse - Llano, TX:

St Mary's Catholic church interior - High Hill, TX:

Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Bob - great pictures! Thanks for the upload. I haven't taken any trips yet in my Jag but certainly want to do so this summer. We have two young girls and road trips are usually done in our "Winter Jag" aka our mini-van.

I'm hopefully going to do a road trip to Texas within 2 years to come and see my Grandfather's Spitfire. The owner lives in Texas and I want to go see her again. It's a bit of a road trip mind you from Ontario.

Thanks again for the pics!

Rob

Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice pictures, Bob. Not only are the buildings (and car, of course) interesting, but it is kind of a 2-day essay on the moods of the Texas sky.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thks Rob - you mean a real-life Supermarine Spitfire? Wow! Looks like there are quite a bit of wardbirds here in the state. I live about 7 miles from Georgetown airport and I know that there's a WW2 P51D (nose art: Buzzin' and Cussin') that's home-based there.

Thks Larry - you're right about the mood of Texas sky. In fact, on Friday I was driving top down the whole time and forgot to put on sunblock - ended up with raccoon look! On Saturday it was cloudy and drizzly.

I added more pictures - just click the album link. Enjoy!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

enjoyed the pics bob, thanks for sharing them!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

Great pics, Bob! I love road trips. I have a digital SLR but I never can seem to take good pictures. Yours look great!

And Spitfire, I'm curious. Are you saying that your grandfather has a genuine Supermarine Spitfire? That alone would be worth a road trip to Texas.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice trip. You need to get it into the composition. sharing more info about south texas plains, i am interested in it :P

What are the beauty Items that you can’t resist when you walk past the counters? Have you got any essie nail polish cheap? Have you seen Essie’s collection for this Summer, What do you think of it?

p90x workout

Last edited by Car111; 10-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.