PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[Australia]: 1988 XJ40 for disposal

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1988 XJ40 for disposal

Hi all,

Well the time has come, the walrus said, for me to retire my solent blue 1988 3.6Lt xj40 (with the square headlights and no leaper on the hood)

It's been my daily driver since 2009 and my Rego is due for renewal in three weeks (July 4th). I noticed that the indicators were not operating correctly so ordered some new brass contacts for the switch.

Whilst I was replacing my indicator switch contacts I noticed that the heater core had sprung a leak. So out with the dash and the heater core. I've put it back together, minus the heater core and bypassed the heater coolant pipes at the firewall. I've had a quote of $220 to have it re-cored and the new gaskets are $13 each (x2)

Now here's the problem... I've noticed a coffee coloured milky substance under the radiator cap. I suspect, but not confirmed, that the head gasket has let go. No signs of coolant in the oil, just oil in the coolant. So with that in mind I don't really have the time or inclination to re register it. It's time to let it go. It still drives fine, no overheating or billows of smoke out the exhaust.

I thought rather than advertise it on fleabay, gumtree or one of the car sites I'd offer it to the Jag community first as it would be a good project car or for parts. My only other option is to "gift" it to a wrecker for a few dollars which I would rather not do. I've thought about dismantling it myself and part it out but I don't have the room to do so.

I've replaced so many parts over the years that I have owned it. Rebuilt ZF4 HP22 transmission and torque converter. New Bilstein shocks all round. Aftermarket 17" wheels currently with a set of Zeetum 215/55 R17's. These have only travelled 6,000 km's so have plenty of tread remaining. New Cooling Fan, Harmonic Balancer, Belts and Hoses 12 months ago and a new fuel pump four months ago. It has 245 000 km's on the odometer.

There are too many new parts to mention.

All of the electrics work fine and all the door handles are operational. It also has about 1/2 a tank of premium fuel remaining.

So if anyone is interested, please get it touch. I'll take it for a wash tomorrow and post some pictures. The Jag is in Canberra and if I could get $500 for it I'd be a happy camper.

Hope every one is well and thanks for any interest in advance.

Last edited by GGG; 06-12-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Add FS[Region] to thread title
The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (06-10-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I've moved your thread from Australia - New South Wales / ACT to PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds forum. This is the ONLY PLACE TO POST ADVERTS on the forum.

The reason for this is adverts rapidly become irrelevant as items are bought, sold or exchanged but the thread remains forever. If these are in Model or Regions forums they still attract replies weeks, months and years later. In CLASSIFIEDS threads can be flagged as CLOSED once they are no longer required.

Graham

Graham