Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 STR temp gage

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 06 STR temp gage

Originally Posted by JagV8
sivkov-y - that temp gauge is a real worry. If the gauge isn't faulty then it's a REALLY BIG worry. I would immediately be checking actual temp of various things with a thermometer / IR gun. And via OBD, to figure out where the problem lies. Quite possibly the PCM is getting the fuelling badly wrong because ECT is a critical input to it. (hmm, maybe not else you'd get codes I think.)

If you want to follow up (please do), please start a new thread as it sure doesn't belong in here
I just came home from work, kept an eye on the temp guage, when car is started and cold, temp showed normal operating temp on guage. After about 30 sec of car idling, temp guage falls to cold position. Any ideas, is this not supposed to be, its been like this ever since i got this car?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Absolutely should not do that. See my prev post.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Absolutely should not do that. See my prev post.
Which post are u talking about?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

In this thread.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Not this thread John.

Was there meant to be a link?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Oh cr.p. Sorry! I meant the post of mine he quoted. (It's kinda in this thread.)

The idea is to measure some real temps and figure out whether the cluster is broken internally or is reporting a bad sensor or what. Pray it's not the cluster as they're very costly.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

It's def. not the engine that's hot then suddenly drops in temp. Likely a fault to cluster power distribution. Check fuses, relays, and such. Check connections down by the drivers floor up top too.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM

So I did some messing around with the car today. With the scanner I have under ecm section, I don't see an option for coolant temp in actual degree reading, only a coolant temp sensor voltage reading @ .36v. If I go under the tcm module, there is an option for coolant temperature in degrees but it says -40c. My brother wants to know if there is an up to date sensor voltage chart available for this car so he can run some comparisons. On the fuel trim part, long term fuel trim bank 2 has a variation of up-to 60% when car was started and warming up. When engine is warmed up at normal temp, listening to it, there is a higher pitch sound ether a sucking or an escaping air. tried a can of starting fluid around intake and supercharger with nothing happening, could be a boost leak, don't know how to check this at home. Also my new exhaust, tips are already covered in black sooth, also may indicate car runs to rich. Any ideas, what should I shoot for?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

STR's run rich WOT.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sivkov-y
So I did some messing around with the car today. With the scanner I have under ecm section, I don't see an option for coolant temp in actual degree reading, only a coolant temp sensor voltage reading @ .36v. If I go under the tcm module, there is an option for coolant temperature in degrees but it says -40c. My brother wants to know if there is an up to date sensor voltage chart available for this car so he can run some comparisons. On the fuel trim part, long term fuel trim bank 2 has a variation of up-to 60% when car was started and warming up. When engine is warmed up at normal temp, listening to it, there is a higher pitch sound ether a sucking or an escaping air. tried a can of starting fluid around intake and supercharger with nothing happening, could be a boost leak, don't know how to check this at home. Also my new exhaust, tips are already covered in black sooth, also may indicate car runs to rich. Any ideas, what should I shoot for?
TCM irrelevant. PCM (ECM) has OBD-mandated (by law!) ECT and is in degrees. Get any ordinary OBD tool - current one seems rubbish. $12 elm327 is better.

LTFT during warmup is irrelevant.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 PM

I ordered me an elm 327 early morning today. The current OBD scanner I used is a launch X-431 Deagun.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM

I also checked my instrument cluster under engineering mode, all guages worked fine.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM

I feel very smart right about now, The reason I could not find the coolant temp with my scanner was, I was using the Launch and its Jaguar specific program, the temp shows up under generic OBD program, I guess the sensor is fine, it shows the temp.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

If it's right in OBD & ETM, pretty much has to be the circuit/etc right behind the needle. Maybe someone mends them? Horrifically expensive new and needs coding for the car.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 str does this too.

turn on the ignition and the guage reads the last temp position it was at when I turned it off from the previous drive. It will then slowly lower to the cold position since, well, the engine is cold, and then it will slowly move as the coolant temp increases.

It has done this since I bought it and seems somewhat normal as well as not a real issue.

Perhaps a guage or sensor issue, but, as of now, not a problem I need correcting.

Having said that, and seeing that this seems to be somewhat of a common occurance, does anyone have a "definitive" answer to why it does this?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,426 Likes on 7,429 Posts

Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
My 06 str does this too.

turn on the ignition and the guage reads the last temp position it was at when I turned it off from the previous drive. It will then slowly lower to the cold position since, well, the engine is cold, and then it will slowly move as the coolant temp increases.

It has done this since I bought it and seems somewhat normal as well as not a real issue.

Perhaps a guage or sensor issue, but, as of now, not a problem I need correcting.

Having said that, and seeing that this seems to be somewhat of a common occurance, does anyone have a "definitive" answer to why it does this?

I have no answers either, mine does it also, and to me it's no big deal. That's life..

Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sivkov-y
I just came home from work, kept an eye on the temp guage, when car is started and cold, temp showed normal operating temp on guage. After about 30 sec of car idling, temp guage falls to cold position. Any ideas, is this not supposed to be, its been like this ever since i got this car?
I'm experiencing the same thing on my 07 STR I also owned an 06 stype 3.0 and it did the same thing, Never did get a good answere when I posted a thread up about it... I also have that very anoying scratching sound from the instrument cluster that sounds to be related to the rpm gauge needle as rpm drops when shifting gears or shutting down.

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm wondering if My select edition warranty will cover to have it replaced or if this is just something common in the 05-08 Models.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,426 Likes on 7,429 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRey
I'm wondering if My select edition warranty will cover to have it replaced or if this is just something common in the 05-08 Models.

Ask and ye shall receive.....

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Well its been a while since I took on the temp gauge issue again. I just replaced my temp sensor today need to see if this has any thing to do with my cats going bad in less than two years (Magnaflow hi flow spun cats) I thinks I may have a faulty fuel/air ration mixture. Also I am planning to replace my Magnaflow cats with some Vibrant performance true hi flow cats.

Quick Reply: 06 STR temp gage