S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 v6 ZF gearbox oil and filter change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

HI
I got my service kit off ebay, off a ZF autorised dealer whole kit £192 for zf genuine parts, I would not use nothing but genuine
I did mine nearly 2 year ago and they are £198 now

BMW ZF OE 6HP26 Automatic transmission gearbox filter fluid service kit DA6085G | eBay

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-ZF-...0AAOSwB-1Y735J

you cant go wrong with genuine parts
cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joedotcom; 09-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Busa (09-21-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Tomorrow is the day of the gearbox service.
I should be able to give you a report later on tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just a quick update which I will follow up later once I've driven the car more.
Initial observations: there are significant improvements to the gear change and drive-ability.
The job took 2 hours 20 minutes from dropping the car off to collection.
The staff were very pleasant to deal with and were prepared to drive me into a local town to kill time if I wanted to.
The squeak has gone.
The thud on gear change from 4th to 5th at just over 50mph is now only very slight.
The problems of moving off from standstill or from a slow rolling start when the car thuds hard as it selects gear has gone.
The clunky downshifts when slowing down to a stop have been considerably reduced.
Upshifts are cleaner and more positive when accelerating.
The over all response of the car has been noticeably improved.
The car was clean inside and out as delivered.
There were no dirty hand prints or marks inside or outside.
The job cost was as quoted.

The following users liked this post:
keithyboy (10-03-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

As promised these are the guys who did the service on the ZF 6 speed automatic gearbox service on my 2.5 petrol V6:

Automatic Transmissions - The Mechanical Workshop

The Mechanical Workshop 45 Station Road
Littlethorpe
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE19 2HS

There is a train station within about 200m of the workshop.
So if you wish to leave the car there and catch a train there are services to Leicester and Birmingham New Street. But check which are avialale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbor...ailway_station

I have driven the car some more since last posting and I am delighted with the improvements to the gearchanges and the basic drive-ability of the car.
There is still a slight movement when changing from 4th to 5th but only slight compared to before. The big thud on a slow roll of the car as the gearbox selected gear has gone and that was an issue I was having to drive around by feathering the throttle until the car was moving and then press the pedal harder.That glitch was becoming a pain especially when I was tired and I forgot to feather the thtrottle.
The car now seems to hold the gears better for more consistent and smooth driving. That maybe to do with a wipe done on the gearbox software to clear past ad ons (?)
The gearbox is not absolutely perfect but at 75,000 miles and 15 years old I didn't expect it to be. But the overall improvement is very noticeable.

The cost I don't mind sharing with you.
All inclusive it was just under £400.
They had the car for 2 hours and 20 minutes and tested it on the road before passing it back.

I am pleased because it went very well and I enjoyed sitting in the warm sun outside the Plough Inn 50 yards from the workshop and watching the world go by. I was drinking coke and eating crisps and peanuts and enjoyed the whole experience. I don't drink any alcohol anyway, but I would not recommend anyone drink and drive.

If there are any questions I will do my best to answer.

The advice to get this preventative work done came from the forum as soon as I joined and the advice was spot on ! This car is a keeper so money well spent !

These are my personal experiences but of course that does not mean yours would be the same. There are no guarantees from me.