Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2000-2002 3.0 Breather hose replacement (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2000-2002-3-0-breather-hose-replacement-4150/)

FactoryJaguarTech 01-30-2008 07:22 PM

2000-2002 3.0 Breather hose replacement

For those of you brave enough to venture into replacing your own lower breather hose, here is a how to:

Intake Manifold Removal:

Disconnect the battery ground cable.

Disconnect the EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) valve electrical connector.

Disconnect the vacuum hose connector from the EGR vacuum regulator valve.

Disconnect the IMT Valve connectors.

Disconnect the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor electrical connector.

Disconnect the hoses from the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor.

Disconnect the inlet and outlet intake manifold coolant hoses, making note of the routing for reassembly. (You do not want to hook them up backwards)

Detach the EGR valve.

Remove the intake manifold bracket securing bolts - 1 on front, 1 on right side.

Remove the intake manifold securing bolts noting location.

Disconnect the engine breather hose,

Remove the intake manifold and dsicard gaskets. Replace with new.

Next, remove the 4 bolts securing lower manifold to engine. Remove the 10mm bolt at front of engine holding the fuel line secure. Lift lower fuel rail manifold up and move to the side. Replace these gaskets also. You can now see the lower breather hose (fat L shape). Cut carefully with razor blade to remove. Lube new hose using suitable silicone spray and install. Also replace the hose above that one and the 90 degree that is above that.

While you are there, if the 3 ignition coils under the intake are green or yellow labels, you may want to replace them with new black label coils. Sucks to have to go back in there.

Reinstall is reverse of removal. Do not overtighten the bolts.

JimC64 01-31-2008 06:40 PM

RE: 2000-2002 3.0 Breather hose replacement

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 193580Attachment 193581Attachment 193582

Thanks FJT......Nice one!

FAQ'd n Locked

Jim

hdsmobility 10-06-2009 09:37 PM

ignition coils and the 90 deg rubber

If you have read FactoryJaguarTech’s instruction on how to change the ignition coils (above) on the RH bank (under the inlet manifold) and the 90 deg rubber hose elbow, the following will help a lot as it explains how to really do the job in pictures. Big thanks to FactoryJaguarTech’s instruction list as it helped me to have the b*lls to do this moderately difficult task. Don’t bother with the Jaguar manual, it might as well be in Japanese.

WHY DO IT—Well, I had an occasional misfire at idle and around 40 to 60 mph going up hill and accelerating. Didn’t feel like an ignition coil so considered it to be the breather or an intermittent coil problem or both.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/qrb4leo14c.pub

The file is 43 mb and is an MS Publisher file.

JagV8 10-07-2009 03:44 AM

FTJ - excellent (love the bit about throwing that part away!)

hdsmobility - great, except only those with Publisher can use it :(

Convert to PDF, maybe?

hdsmobility 10-19-2009 12:12 PM

PDF now uploaded

Originally Posted by jagv8 (Post 144589)
FTJ - excellent (love the bit about throwing that part away!)

hdsmobility - great, except only those with Publisher can use it :(

Convert to PDF, maybe?

There's now a pdf to down load which is more manageable.

hdsmobility 10-19-2009 12:18 PM

Location of pdf

http://box.net/s-type

access to the folder with both the pdf and the ms publisher file.
Anybody know how to upload to the Jaguar Forum.

danielsatur 10-19-2009 12:21 PM

Thanks - do you have a current Coolant bleed procedure for thread ''Bleed valve or procedure for 2000 s 3.0''

Thanks, my alldata.com expired.

Amadauss 03-09-2010 07:45 AM

Now I understand why I did not get a response on my questions in reference to the coils. Right here on this page in front of my eyes. :icon_couchhide: All I had to do was search a little bit. Thanks very much for the info!!!!! Really appreciate it very much.

Tracy 04-06-2010 12:02 PM

My Jag ran great after completing the lower-breather hose replacement journey... but within weeks the idle got rough and rougher as time went on (two months now). I seem to have a thin layer/coating of oil in the intake manifold.

Any advice? I hope I gave enough info to give you an idea of my problem.

http://www.norcalprincess.com/images/100_5234.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Tracy

joycesjag 04-06-2010 12:53 PM

That is your IMT Valve Port. There are 2 of them. Replace old yellow (in color) O-Rings with new GREEN IMT O-Rings. Dealer Only!

Brutal 04-06-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryJaguarTech (Post 38574)
Remove the intake manifold securing bolts noting location. At very back, 2 of the 8mm bolts are holding down a round metal bracket. Once removed throw that metal bracket in the garbage. It serves no purpose other than to chafe your wiring harness.

WELL now we know who said this...:)
I was just accused of this in another thread, and I responded I would NEVER say this. I always reinstall that bracket...Reason. I think it was Carol in training 1 year when the Stype was out for a few years. We questioned about this bracket and its purpose. To which she pulled up pics of 2 totally burned to the ground V6 Stypes that the techs had discarded those brackets. Both cars rear ended the car in front hard enough to push the engine back enough to break off the fuel rail pressure sensor that it protects...This resulted in 40 psi fuel fuel spraying out onto a hot engine...Both accidents resulted in lawsuits to the dealers, and Jaguar washed there hands of the suits since they were there from the factory for this reason........

Tracy 04-06-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag (Post 192359)
That is your IMT Valve Port. There are 2 of them. Replace old yellow (in color) O-Rings with new GREEN IMT O-Rings. Dealer Only!

Thanks for the quick reply joycesjag!

I only removed the IMT Valve to show the coating of oil inside the intake manifold. So to restate - you think the O-rings for the IMT Valves would be the culprit? I will order and change those out.

I pulled the engine breather hose and stuck a Q-tip down and it shows a very dirty hose – is this normal? I am wondering if this may be the source of oil entering the intake manifold.

http://www.norcalprincess.com/images/100_5323.JPG

Amadauss 04-06-2010 03:21 PM

Just want to confirm, I thought Brutal had suggested discarding that bracket and I was wrong. Sorry for stating this in my post in reference to the coils project. I also have oil in the manifold and I am hoping it was the bad o rings doing it. I got to tell you though from now experiencing all of this, the rings that were on were yellow in color and they really looked just as good as the green ones I put on. They did not seem of a lower grade but could be wrong. Anxiously awaiting the response on what also dould be the culprit for the oil in manifold. Thanks

Brutal 04-06-2010 05:11 PM

The imt orings leak vacuum and oil out of them. They are not the reason, you will always have oil residue in the intake. The reason is the clean air act and epa. Instead of crankcase vapor( oil vapor and combustion byproducts that make it past the rings) being released into the air, theyre sent through the intake to be burned in the engine to reduce pollution.
The yellow orings are slightly smaller than the green, and the green coating is a sealant. The green are wayyy better at sealing. Even to the point of having to pry the imt's out to get them out if you need to in the future.

Amadauss 04-06-2010 07:33 PM

ok, appreciate the response. So, a bit of oil in manifold for the most part is ok. Thanks

Jon89 04-07-2010 07:14 AM

Brutal's point about the IMT O-rings is right on the money. If you've held both the old-style yellow ones and the new-style green ones side-by-side in your hand, you can easily see how much larger and rounder the new-style green ones are. Since I removed my old yellow ones and replaced them with new green ones back in mid-January, not one drop of oil has seeped through to the black plastic base of the lower IMT valve. This new O-ring design appears to solve that problem once and for all....

Tracy 04-07-2010 09:36 AM

joycesjag & BRUTAL

Thank you for the info!

Last night I replaced the two IMT Valves O-rings as suggested and I immediatly noticed improvment. The idle is smooth and driving performance has returned to normal.

On my 2003 S-Type V6 - I had to completely take the intake manifold out to get to the IMT Valve on the back. The project took me less than 2 hrs.

I will post again if anything changes - awesome! :icon_hyper:

joycesjag 04-07-2010 12:03 PM

Tracy.... FYI https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135

to late now, for some odd reason I thought you had the intake off for another reason.

Shibajack 01-09-2012 01:00 PM

I'm unable to access this link...anyone else able to get back in? I sure would like the pictures.

joycesjag 01-09-2012 02:11 PM

This link Shibajack

Jaguar vacuum leak p0171 p0174 s-type 3.0 <-- Thank you Gus!!