S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink 2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ

Good afternoon Team,
I’ve got a project going that some of you mind like / find interesting. After 142,210 miles, my baby started to make some clicking noise during it startup one morning.. I didn’t think too much of it since it went away, as 3 sec after it started. Time marches on (3 months) and now the clicking noise is always there anytime the car is under 1k rpm’s and it’s was really loud at ideal – 700 rps.

Shoot… It was once again time to bend over and take the car to the mechanic.. I’m sorry but every time it goes in the shop I can kiss $1,000 goodbye.

Well I got call back from the service manager informing me that would need to replace the timing and tensioners and since my mileage is so high they would also like to replace the water pump, thermostat and my radiator overflow tank. The price was quoted at a OMFG $6,500.00 from the shop / dealer. Ahhh.. No.. no we wont be doing that.. I then called around to my backup (independent shops) and was quoted anywhere from $1,400 to replace the two upper tensioners only and or $3,000 for the same scope as the dealer..

Well ok.. I’m doing a little better here.. I went from $6500 to $3500 and a possibility of $1400 if I’m lucky.. Well team I don't know about you.. but I’m not lucky when it comes to this stuff, plus I thought since I waited the extra few months I was pretty much guaranteed to have to replace it all.

With $3500 as my baseline I decided to actually find out how much and what it would take to do the project myself?? I’ve wrenched on a few hot rods in my younger years but really haven’t picked up a wrench in over 15+ years. These newer cars, to be honest with you scare me!..

Parts were just over $800 and the tools that I “thought” I needed were $325, little did I know I also needed a special Balancer puller too at $175.00..

I decided to pull the plug at my at rough estimate of $1,300.00 plus I added in an extra $200 (for incidentals) 1,500 to do it myself.. ½ of what my best estimate was.. but can I do it?? Hahahaa.. Lets find out together..

I started out with the basics,

I took a before shoot, you know.. Just incase. LOL..

Ok so here’s were we begin our journey into the unknown. Hahaa..

Here’s what I’ve got to work with

Dammmm this is motor is a little too dirty to work on, so lets brake out the presser washer and genteelly clean it all..

Ok now that I have the engine clean I can disconnected the battery cable, drained all of the fluids and start disabling everything required to remove the value cover’s. ie
Smog
Wiring harnesses and connects
coil packs
and all necessary misc items.

I of course did not remove my plugs as I didn’t want any debris falling into the motor and I think I’m going to need to the engines compression to help me remove something (I don't know yet) later.

I started on the passenger side, as this looked like it had the most room to work with and I needed something to practice on before I moved the driver side.

The following 2 users liked this post by tdc:
a100steaksauce (11-25-2010), TonyX (03-01-2011)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
tdc

Ok that wasn’t too bad and wow.. I’ve never seen anything like this up close.. Hahaha it’s a little intimidating, but lets move the driver side.

Builders notes.
  • Go slow and be very genteel when you’re disconnecting the electrical components. Either take lots of pic’s or mark each one with a “letter or number” so you know where they all go back at the end of the project.
  • Once you remove the coil packs you’ll see that you still have a few bolts that need to be removed prior to the valve cover coming off.
  • ¼” tools worked way better than my ½” tools.. Also I cant say enough about the need to have a “universal swivel” OMG.. if you don't have one, get on..
  • The bolts on the vale cover do not come out? I’m assuming there double bolted or have some type of grummet on it? TBD later.
  • Total time spent removing the 2 value covers 4 ½ hours. (not to bad) I guess ?

Here’s what I’ve taken off the car at this point.

Ok now it time to remove the radiators (all of them)
Engine, brake and trans

Wow what a involved process.. You can kiss another 2 ½ hours away doing this. I just started on the driver side and began to remove all electrical connections and then all of the hose connection. I think I have to charge my AC sytem too as one line hissed as it was be removed.. IDK.. I’ll figure it out later.

The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (11-25-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
tdc

Success.. It’s the little things in life that make me happy.. J

Now I went back in and removed some of the pulleys to get a better look at what I have left to remove before I can split the front engine cover. Ahhh I need to remove the generator, compressor and the harmonic balancer still..

The following 2 users liked this post by tdc:
a100steaksauce (11-25-2010), romeo8426 (09-18-2012)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 PM
tdc

Here are all of the parts that I removed from the car during this process.

Builders notes.
WOW that was tough and a real pain in the butt, it took to people to lift it out of the car. The driver side was the worst as it contained the bunch a stuff (sorry don't know the names) that just kept getting the way and hoses everywhere.. Man.. I hope I remember how and where they all go back together. Hahahahaaa.

Well team, that’s as far as I’ve got to date. I’m waiting on parts and tools before I can continue. I should have everything here Wednesday in which case I’ll should have everything off and put back together by Saturday.. Well at least that’s the plan..

Have a great week everybody and thanks for your time.

TDC.

P.S.
If you see anything Wrong, please give me a shoot out!.. I’m really just kind of winging it at this point. Wish me luck..

Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I really liked your write up and all the pictures you have taken so far!!

Like you said taking lots of pictures can really help with the assembly process!

Good Luck! I cant wait to see updates

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Great documentation on your project tdc, when you're finished, this'll be a great addition to the S-type FAQ section that has been compiled.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Excellent pics and write-up, which should really help others see what would be needed. IIRC one of the jag magazines (Jaguar World Monthly?) did this with full write-up & pics so maybe that would be a way to get more ideas. Although, a bit late for you now probably!

There's also a thread here about the V8 tensioners and tools http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...st%20in%20time

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's an epic job ,looking forward to seeing next steps and pics
Thanks for sharing

Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
tdc

Originally Posted by alexsneesby
Wow I really liked your write up and all the pictures you have taken so far!!
Originally Posted by alexsneesby

Like you said taking lots of pictures can really help with the assembly process!

Good Luck! I cant wait to see updates
Thank you sir. I'm giving it the old collage go, that's for sure..

Yeah, I've got tons of pics that I'm not posting up, they wont mean anything to you guys, but I'm sure hoping that they help me out later on..

Thank you again for the kind words..

Have a great one

TDC

Originally Posted by h20boy
Great documentation on your project tdc, when you're finished, this'll be a great addition to the S-type FAQ section that has been compiled.

Thank you sir.. I hope it’s worthy of that honor when the its all completed, we’ll see.

Thank you again for your time.

Tdc

Originally Posted by jagv8
Excellent pics and write-up, which should really help others see what would be needed. IIRC one of the jag magazines (Jaguar World Monthly?) did this with full write-up & pics so maybe that would be a way to get more ideas. Although, a bit late for you now probably!

Hey Jagv8.. Thank you for the kind words and the link Sir.. But do you happen to have a link for the IIRC full write-up as mentioned above?? I would love to see it if possible.

The overall project is quite imitating, to tell you the truth but I’m pretty confident that as long as I keep a cool head and proceed at a methodical pace I’ll be fine.. I’m actually looking forward to trying out my new specialty tools (as soon as they get here) I’m hoping the $500 spent will be worth it in the long end. Only time will tell my friend.. Either way it should be worth a read for further DIY’s.. If this Construction Manager can do it, than anyone can.. Hahahaa..

Have a great one big guy and thank you for your time

TDC.

Originally Posted by cadillac
That's an epic job, looking forward to seeing next steps and pics
Originally Posted by cadillac
Thanks for sharing
Hey thanks for the vote of confidence Cadillac.. It will either be an Epic (Failure or Success), we’ll find out together Sir.. hahaaa.

Unfortunately I’m done until Wednesday, I’m waiting for my tools and parts to arrive. But then…. Hahahaa That’s when the real fun begins..

Thank you again for your time sir and for allowing this So-Cal guy to post here..

TDC.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Sure hope you used the latest and greatest tensioners?? I have attached a set of instructions on this repair from a commercial Jaguar shop. Thanks for all the pictures!

Attached Files
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
tdc

Thanks for checking.. I think so?? The ones I have on order are metal ones, the version 3 I think the gentlemen was telling me?

Are these the proper ones? The link was dead so I couldn’t double check.

Thank you for your time

TDC.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tdc
Hey Jagv8.. Thank you for the kind words and the link Sir.. But do you happen to have a link for the IIRC full write-up as mentioned above?? I would love to see it if possible.
Er.... I posted the link with that comment.

Ah.... you're new so probably can't access it. I'll PM it

Pah! Apparently a PM to a new member is not possible

Any Admin - please upgrade this guy!!

Meanwhile let's try the link in a naughty semi-hidden manner - you'll have to remove some space characters then make sure it's got no newlines in it.
http : / / www . pistonheads . com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=85&t=173880&mid=0&nmt=V8%20timing% 20chain%20tensioner%20changed%20-%20just%20in%20time

Here's the unmangled version:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...st%20in%20time

Last edited by JagV8; 11-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Josef15111 (03-22-2022)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Nice going tdc, good post, nice write up, great pics, keep at it.

My only worry is for the future, if the last pic in this thread is 'Here are all the bits I had left over' LOL

Any amateur who says it has never happened to them is well----.

@jagv8, we as mods can't upgrade membership privileges, but @ tdc I notice that you have posted a New Member intro so you are in with a chance of a manual uplift.

tdc, keep your chin up, and please keep updating your progress in this thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
@jagv8, we as mods can't upgrade membership privileges
Oh, sorry!
I figured you had super powers

Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes, you want the third generation parts. If you have them you have the latest ones and supposedly are identical to what Jaguar installed beginning in 2003 and up on their DOHC V-8's.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

My only worry is for the future, if the last pic in this thread is 'Here are all the bits I had left over' LOL

@jagv8, we as mods can't upgrade membership privileges, but @ tdc I notice that you have posted a New Member intro so you are in with a chance of a manual uplift.

Monsieur Richard,

I think those were the parts removed not the leftovers.

I do agree it is always best to simplify things by not refitting the unnecessary parts.

tdc, great post, we are all looking forward to a succesfull conclusion.

Last edited by Norri; 11-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

LOL!!!!

Richard was just having a wee joke, I think

(That's how I read it.)

I'm looking forward to more from tdc, when he has the time.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
tdc

[quote=jagv8;269912]Er.... I posted the link with that comment.

Ah.... you're new so probably can't access it. I'll PM it

Pah! Apparently a PM to a new member is not possible

Any Admin - please upgrade this guy!!

Meanwhile let's try the link in a naughty semi-hidden manner - you'll have to remove some space characters then make sure it's got no newlines in it.
http : / / www . pistonheads . com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=85&t=173880&mid=0&nmt=V8%20timing% 20chain%20tensioner%20changed%20-%20just%20in%20time

Here's the unmangled version:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=85&t=173880&mid=0&nmt=V8%20timing% 20chain%20tensioner%20changed%20-%20just%20in%20time[/quote]

Your a good man sir .. Thank you..

TDC..

Thank you.. and I know, I know.. I wont say it's hasn’t happened before in the past.. hahahahaa. I'll let you know. I’ve been taking some pretty good notes along the way so... We'll see..

Originally Posted by norri
Monsieur Richard,
Originally Posted by norri

I think those were the parts removed not the leftovers.

I do agree it is always best to simplify things by not refitting the unnecessary parts.

tdc, great post, we are all looking forward to a successful conclusion.
Thank you Norri.. I'm looking forward to a successful completion too..

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
tdc

I’m just doing a little updating of the thread, with pics..

Well progress still continues, in anticipation of receiving my much need tools and parts I did find the time to remove the last 6 out 7 remaining items left before I can actually split the front case open.
  • Oil cooler
  • Generator
  • Generator bracket
  • AC Compressor
  • Power steering pump
  • And the 25mm harmonic balancer bolt (you will need to spin the bolt counter clockwise) to remove it.

I’m just waiting for the jag puller before I can remove the balancer and split the front case.

Generator bracket. Note the electrical connection on the bracket, I’m telling you there everywhere..

After the AC compressor was removed, I still need to remove the power steering pump.

Last bolt to remove the pump, it’s so long it stupid.. I had to stop and step back, take a deep breath and continue at it.. This project really helps test your patience.. LOL…

Power steering pump and mounting bracket removed

Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM
tdc

Everything off with the exception of the harmonic balancer

Here’s what all of the parts look like, that were I just removed

Here’s what the bigger picture looks like. Hahaa.

Here are the tools that got me here..

Builders notes:
  • Take your generator in and have it tested, just to make sure.. Replace it now if it needs it.
  • Extension swivels saved me a lot of time and headache. I would strongly recommend them.
  • The electrical connections were again a huge pain the butt to remove. No space just poking with a screw driver to remove them.. OMG guys I was ready to rip it all out.. But In the long run, a cooler head prevailed and all connections were successfully removed.
  • I spent a total of 4-5 hrs removing all of these items

Thanks again for your time everybody.. I should have a bunch of “neat stuff” posted up next time..

Until then have great one everbody

TDC

The following 5 users liked this post by tdc:
a100steaksauce (11-25-2010), Arthur Dent (11-13-2012), Enthusiast (11-24-2010), erdavenport (04-16-2015), LoysJag (07-11-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ