Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2000 S-Type - TRACTION CONTROL FAULT + ABS Light (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2000-s-type-traction-control-fault-abs-light-211600/)

Leonard_85 12-11-2018 12:01 PM

2000 S-Type - TRACTION CONTROL FAULT + ABS Light

Hello all,

2000 S-Type V6 Petrol. Auto.

Car has been running brilliantly since my last post a long time ago.

Strangely, a couple of weeks ago I cleaned the vehicle and thoroughly hoovered the interior, washed mats and put back (dampish).

I now have the ABS Light continuous illuminated on start-up and run, then 'Traction Control Error' several seconds after vehicle moves forward (not reverse).

Could I have knocked something in the cabin?

Thanks again

NBCat 12-11-2018 12:50 PM

Check the battery voltage first, which should be a minimum of 12.6 volts with the ignition off for ten or more minutes. A failing or weak battery can be the cause of many random DTCs and electrical gremlins.

If the battery has less than 12.6 volts, charge it overnight at 5 to 10 amps then retest. If the voltage is still less than 12.6 volts, the battery should be replaced.

Check for water in the boot around the battery. If water is present, check boot lid seal and tail lamp seals as both can allow water to enter.

Leonard_85 12-11-2018 01:04 PM

I never thought of the boot compartment, I know there's lots of wiring and fuses near the absolute beast of a battery (20kg from memory?)

What about the wheel/brake areas, I was bought a posh wheel cleaning product as a nice present so might have gone overkill here - could I have caught the sensors behind the brake shield with a blast of water?

Thanks

NBCat 12-11-2018 01:29 PM

Check the battery voltage first, then have a read of this repair to the ABS module:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...aul%20Bush.pdf

Another possibility is a broken or cracked reluctor ring on one of the axles due to corrosion. Use the forum search function as this topic has been covered previously.

stu46h 12-12-2018 09:29 AM

Cleaning the floor mats can induce some pretty strange problems, but let's start with checking the wheel speed sensors for dirt or damage. It is possible that once the car is moving it wants to see all four wheel speed sensors functioning and it isn't seeing that. If you had the same ABS/traction control module problem that I had you would have the ABS/traction control warning on as soon as you start the car and you don't have that.

JaguarJacks 12-27-2018 10:52 PM

the front wheels ABS sensor wire connection

what’s up , fellow jaggers !

Seems like a tampered connection on the front wheels ABS wire
the front wheels ABS sensor is in the wire that’s connected to the hub and the other end is connected to another wire
(tightly reconnect the both ends of the wire)
That should do it

cubist 12-29-2018 12:25 PM

Hi There,
Its more than likely a Rear Wheel Speed Sensor thats at the root of the problem. On the S Type these are exposed to the atmosphere unlike those on the front which are enclosed.
1. Dirt or rubbish build up around the Wheel Speed Sensor Head and the Reluctor Ring - the Sensor has a magnetic element so can attract small pieces of metal.
2. A dud Wheel Speed Sensor - they can be damaged by material thrown up from the road or can just die of old age.
3. A build up of crusty rust on the Universal Joint Cover and the Reluctor Ring which is mounted on it.
4. A damaged Reluctor Ring.
5. Damaged Wheel Speed Sensor Cable.

These first three are easy to deal with but some effort is needed.
A good first step is to jack the car up and remove the rear wheels, clean throughly around the Wheel Speed Sensor and in particular where the head of the sensor almost meets the reluctor ring (they should not be touching). You can also apply a little Dw40 to purge any water that may have got into the cable connector. Check for and remove any crusty bits of rust from between the reluctor ring apertures and around the ring in general - remember to wipe down the sensor head again as it may pick up some of the rust particles. Put the wheels back on and take the car for a a journey of a couple of miles - I'm not sure but if the above works the warning lights may go out.

If you have access to, or can get hold of a Jaguar specific OBD2 code reader it will tell you which wheel is the problem and, after repair, you can also re-set the codes.

scottjh9 12-29-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard_85 (Post 1999735)
I never thought of the boot compartment, I know there's lots of wiring and fuses near the absolute beast of a battery (20kg from memory?)

What about the wheel/brake areas, I was bought a posh wheel cleaning product as a nice present so might have gone overkill here - could I have caught the sensors behind the brake shield with a blast of water?

Thanks

Some of those wheel cleaners are pretty caustic...even acidic..bad news for plastic and copper...maybe pull the wheel and inspect it all...I say all this from experience unfortunately...just tedious to check everything

JaguarJacks 12-29-2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9 (Post 2006883)
some of those wheel cleaners are pretty caustic...even acidic..bad news for plastic and copper...maybe pull the wheel and inspect it all...i say all this from experience unfortunately...just tedious to check everything

the loose front wheel hub <wire> connections

scottjh9 12-30-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarJacks (Post 2006894)

the loose front wheel hub <wire> connections

Exactly

Leonard_85 01-05-2019 07:28 AM

OK guys,

Happy New Year.

Voltage checked and is fine, rear jacked and checked, there is some corrosion and I do worry about the impending state of the two large tie-links from the rear wheel hubs across
to central box (quite long approx 60cm).

However..

Couple of you talking about front wheels well...I did notice the occasional "knock' from front end during a typical drive.
Jacked car and immediately noticed I could grab front drivers wheel at 3 + 9 o'clock position and have it move approx 1inch (trying to turn left and right).

Lower ball-joint in the steering link has worn completely.

I noticed the steering seems to 'wander' a little at speed.

So my question is could this be the difference being picked-up by the sensor, hence the fault reading...?

Regards,

S-Type Owner 01-05-2019 10:51 AM

The cars ABS and traction control system allows for a certain percentage of variation in the speed signals from the individual sensors before generating an error code. Wheels, inside vs outside, travel at different speeds when negotiating a turn, no?

The looseness in your front end is troubling though... When was your last MOT? The current condition will need to be corrected, or you are guaranteed fail at the next inspection.

cubist 01-05-2019 12:11 PM

Hi Leonard,
I do not think the steering link is the root of the ABS problem. The ABS sensor and Reluctor Ring on the front wheel is housed inside the hub and any undue movement due to the worn steering link would affect the hub as whole - and the undue movement would not be transferred to the Reluctor Ring.

You clearly need to get the steering link fixed asap, it may also be worthwhile getting the wheel bearings checked as well. Ideally you need to get hold of a Jaguar specific OBD2 Code Reader to find the root of the BAS problem.

Where are you in the UK - there may be other members who live nearby that may be willing to come over and put their code reader on your car?

Cheers,
Cubist

NBCat 01-06-2019 08:27 AM

Did you read the thread on the link in post 4? The problem is most likely caused by the ABS module.

Busa 01-06-2019 11:24 AM

Had the same symptoms on mine just after I first bought it. A mate put a reader on it which said the front right hand abs sensor had failed. Paid £10 for a used sensor which was integral with the wire and connectors. A ten minute job to replace. Warning lights all gone after a few seconds of starting the engine.
​​​​​​

Leonard_85 01-07-2019 01:15 PM

Thanks had a quick read, we did something similar with the binacle to repair display screen so confident with that repair.
Only thing, after page 12 on that thread, driver write "fingers crossed'...

So did his soldering work...?

NBCat 01-07-2019 01:26 PM

If performed correctly, the repair works to eliminate the ABS and traction warnings on the instrument cluster.

Leonard_85 02-23-2019 10:43 AM

Ok guys, Just an update.

Worn track-rod end replaced, steering much more responsive.
"streetwize" OBDII reader bought and plugged-in , scanned ----- > "NO CODES".

Just to re-iterate, I start vehicle "ABS" Light remains on.
1)Reverse off the drive, no change in illuminations, no warnings. Just ABS light.
2)Onto road, and so into drive...seconds after rolling forwards -----> "TRACTION CONTROL OFF" reads across dash lamps (I didn't touch that switch)
3)Then...second or two later, as we build speed and Autobox changes up into 2nd Gear -----> "TRACTION CONTROL FAULT"

I took car around the block, engine off , plugged in my OBDII and again, NO CODES.

So if no codes are being stored, then what is going on here? Our Jag drives likes a dream also !!

Going back to my original comment - could I have damaged Traction Control Switch in cabin when I was cleaning everything down with cleaning sprays?

Much appreciated.

JagV8 02-23-2019 11:17 AM

There are about a dozen modules but you're reading just one.

ABS is one of the others - you could help yourself by getting its codes.

S-Type Owner 02-23-2019 11:40 AM

I believe your reader is for OBD-II engine management codes only. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. You seem to need a professional grade code reader that will read/interpret proprietary Jaguar chassis coded, e.g., an iCarsoft i930, or LR v2,0...