S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about an S-type Garage Queen

Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Question about an S-type Garage Queen

Hi all,

I recent purchased a 2007 S-type (3.0) with 7,100 miles on the clock that I keep in a climate controlled garage.

I live in Michigan so I don't plan to drive the call at all in the winter due to road salt and sand. My job keeps me traveling quite a bit so I only plan to tack on about a hundred miles or so on the Jag per year. (I know, I know - I should drive it more)

Are there any issues to keeping very low mileage on the Jag. I've heard conflicting views from friends and would like to hear from fellow forum members.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 02-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I would think, like any car, that keeping the miles that low would pose a problem for things like hoses and misc rubber things. Dry rot happens at that kind of mileage. Happened to a friends vette that never got driven, all the bushings rotted out.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Quite a number of the issues for storing a car across the winter would also apply. Discussed here not long ago, try Search

I think user Mikey made good points but my memory's rubbish at times so don't rely on it being him!

I feel that a few hundred isn't really enough to keep oils, greases, moving parts etc properly in use.

It's better to do a few longish runs (so engine, exhaust etc fully up to temperature) than the same miles spread out as very short runs. Avoid just starting the engine but going nowhere.

Even parked for longish periods I tihnk I'd want the EPB off (hold paddle down and keep foot on brake as you switch off the ignition and remove the key).

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18,148 Likes on 7,324 Posts

Keep your battery maintained and fully charged. If it goes down, you could very well have problems when you want to start it up. I just went thru the hassle of a dying battery that was only 3 years old and it wasn't too much fun.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Many thanks for the feedback and good advice. Will start doing the few longish runs to keep engine, exhaust, etc. fully up to temperature with miles spread out.

Will also be sure to maintain battery and fully charged.

Regards,
Michael

Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

The previous threads go into detail on other items as well as HOW to maintain and how NOT to maintain the battery.

The following users liked this post:
BrownRobin (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks jagv8. Will check the previous threads out.

Regards,
- Michael

Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

You're welcome! Such a nice car may as well have the best

Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Quite a number of the issues for storing a car across the winter would also apply. Discussed here not long ago, try Search

I think user Mikey made good points but my memory's rubbish at times so don't rely on it being him!

I feel that a few hundred isn't really enough to keep oils, greases, moving parts etc properly in use.

It's better to do a few longish runs (so engine, exhaust etc fully up to temperature) than the same miles spread out as very short runs. Avoid just starting the engine but going nowhere.

Even parked for longish periods I tihnk I'd want the EPB off (hold paddle down and keep foot on brake as you switch off the ignition and remove the key).
Yes, what he said....

Another trick, but to make it convenient, you should have a compressor in your garage.... My 85 600 (yes, a K car!) convertible is kept like yours. I would always get flat spots on the tires from extended periods of sitting... A Jag tech on here, BRUTAL, clued me into a trick they do at the dealer for new cars that sit.. Air up the tires to like 50lbs... Just need to drop the pressure before taking it out, then air them back up when you park it again. Works like a charm for me.. No more flat spots!

Like JagV8 stated, read up on other threads about battery maintenance. There are a few different thoughts on that. Me personally, allow for the slight battery wear that a "battery tender" will do, and keep the 600 plugged in. It is a real low amp charger that only comes on if / when battery charge drops. Bought one from Sears...

My only other advice is to not go overboard trying to do things. Basically, just let it be. Don't jack it up. Don't spray stuff on the brakes and other parts...Just leave it alone. I've kept my car for almost 20 years that way and it is still fine. Don't just start it. Make sure you take it on a couple of highway trips to get things warmed up. And despite the ultra low mileage, change the oil once a year (twice a year if it makes you nervous).

I've maintained what is essentially a car that shouldn't have survived, but there it sits in my garage...

The following users liked this post:
BrownRobin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stabil gas treatment

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks guys for the additional suggestions.

JOsworth - I'll try the tire trick thing to reduce chances for flat spots. Will also plan to do the battery maintenance. I agree with not trying to go overboard - I'm with you on that.

One more question (please don't laugh) - but what is a K car? I'm embarrased that I should probably know since I am a Jaguar fanatic and a car crazy guy. I've heard the term before but can't remember.

Thanks - Michael

Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I am dying to know the answer to this question and I have to ask out of utter curiousity. Dont take it the wrong way. What it the point of owning a vehicle when you put 100 miles a year on it??? Thing just sits there, depreciates, and withers away. Thats 2 trips into the office for me. I for one, purchase vehicles to drive and appreciate them, not put them on a mantle in its own heated and air conditioned apartment.

Maybe its because you are assuming it will be a valuable classic one day?

Again, dont take this the wrong way.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I make every effort to drive my cars equally now that I am not working. I FEEL the reliability is better when these cars are driven often. When we were working both were daily drivers s-type 60+ mi a day and xk8 40+mi a day. These cars love to be driven and we try to accommodate them.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,148 Likes on 7,324 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
Thanks guys for the additional suggestions.

JOsworth - I'll try the tire trick thing to reduce chances for flat spots. Will also plan to do the battery maintenance. I agree with not trying to go overboard - I'm with you on that.

One more question (please don't laugh) - but what is a K car? I'm embarrased that I should probably know since I am a Jaguar fanatic and a car crazy guy. I've heard the term before but can't remember.

Thanks - Michael
From Wikipedia not Wikileaks...

The Chrysler Corporation's K-cars were compact-to-midsize cars designed to carry six adults on two bench seats and were aimed not only to replace Chrysler's nominally-compact F-body Aspen and Volaré, but also to compete with intermediates like the Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fairmont. Based on their passenger space, the K-cars were placed in the same "midsize" category by the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ as Chrysler's significantly larger and heavier M-body cars[1]
The K cars have been categorized as compact for their external size and small front-wheel drive layout. Technically, the K cars include only the Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, second generation Chrysler LeBaron, and the Dodge 400, which used the K platform. The rest of the K-derivatives, including Chrysler's minivans, were based on the K platform with adaptations and modifications to suit vehicles of different size and intended usage. These vehicles had modified suspensions and were longer and heavier than the original K-cars, but all had the same basic architecture: a solid beam rear axle, independent front suspensions with MacPherson struts, and front-wheel drive (except for the AWD minivans). Sometimes, they also shared numerous internal components and trim pieces (e.g., the Reliant and first-generation Voyager).

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

More concise definition of a K car? A cr@ppy box on wheels! LMAO. Sorry, couldn't resist. I can still see my Grandmother driving around in her blue K-car... Beep beep!

The best product to look after your battery while in storage is a battery tender. I picked up the Ctek's Multi US 3300. They actually call it a smart battery charger. It's fantastic.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Bull27
I am dying to know the answer to this question and I have to ask out of utter curiousity. Dont take it the wrong way. What it the point of owning a vehicle when you put 100 miles a year on it??? Thing just sits there, depreciates, and withers away. .
Hey Bull, Long time... How's the little one..Man, I could've asked that a long time ago..
So, not taken the wrong way.. Sorry, but you know I can get a bit long winded...

Collecting is a disease. But let me try to put it in me and my cousin's perspective.
It's not that we don't drive them. We just only take them on special trips. We show them when we can. Heck, if I actually had the time to go to shows, mine would get many more miles put on it..Just not going to drive it to BJ's for diapers. So, when I got mine in '95 it was just a ten year old, mint convertible. Because I saw the numbers dropping, even then, I decided that daily life would kill it and got a beater. Why not? So, 15 years later it still looks and drives the same as when I got it. It has cost me next to nothing to save it...and gets more looks and compliments at car shows and the kiddie "Ice Cream Runs" than many of the big $$ collectibles out there. Will it ever go for 1/2 million at Barret Jackson? Nope, but I don't care. What I do have is one of only a handful of these cars that have survived. More rare than most of the 70's muscle that is out there. Funny thing with my cousin's "collection"..He's been building a collection of 70's full size Chevy's. He jokingly asked his wife what old car she would like to collect. Her answer, "A Chevette, I always thought they were cute". So, he found a low mileage survivor in Texas and picked it up. That silly thing got more looks and OOOHs at a cruise in than his super cherry '75 Caprice Convertible. LOL..

Originally Posted by BrownRobin

Thanks - Michael
As was also posted.. K cars were the front wheel drive cars that Chrysler built in the early 80's. They were the cars that "saved" Chrysler the first time they needed government money..LOL. They were actually well built things for the day. Not the most inspired driving machines out there, hence their poor reputation. And you could tell they were cheap when you got in them. At least the basic Aries and Reliants. They then put out "specials". The most noted and popular ones were the Chrysler LeBaron and Dodge 600. I happened on a 600 Turbo Convertible when my Step-Grandmother passed away. My Grandfather (not the guy that raced!) had picked this 600 up for her in '92 with less than 20k miles on it. I bought it from him and saved it.. The rest is history... Here's a picture...

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Bull,

I'm with you. 25 years ago I collected certain cars and had several garage queens. The financial portion of my brain eventually overtook the sentimental portion and by the early 90s, I reduced my vehicle ownership down from 7 to just 3. Today, each vehicle has its role(s) to fill, and it must do so economically. When roles change or the vehicle becomes a money drain, it is disposed of either by being sold or in some cases, donated to charity for a tax deduction. In our household, practicality overcame the collective urge two decades ago and I'm now far too financially motivated to ever go back....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-10-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am in the same boat (sort of) so I'll chime in

Originally Posted by Bull27
I am dying to know the answer to this question and I have to ask out of utter curiousity. Dont take it the wrong way. What it the point of owning a vehicle when you put 100 miles a year on it??? Thing just sits there, depreciates, and withers away. Thats 2 trips into the office for me. I for one, purchase vehicles to drive and appreciate them, not put them on a mantle in its own heated and air conditioned apartment.

Maybe its because you are assuming it will be a valuable classic one day?

Again, dont take this the wrong way.
Bull27, I have owned my S-Type for about three years now and have put less than 5K miles on it. It doesn't get driven in the salt and not in the rain (unless we get caught in it) and I can keep it spotless clean.

For me, the lack of regular driving of it can be summed up like this...think of going to Disney World vs. living at Disney World. Even after almost three years, every time I take the S-Type out it's like a new car and I say to myself "Wow, this is really a nice car". I could go on but I think you get the point. Yes, I realize it's just a late model Jaguar-Ford and not a Bentley or Maserati, etc, but I'm also not some rich millionaire so it is what it is.

As far as it being a collector car some day, yes I'm in reality here. S-Types are "used cars" maybe at best "F" grade collector cars and the STR's might rate a "D" someday but doubtful. It's a sedan for one and two (this is the big one) PRODUCTION NUMBERS, if one chopped a couple zeros off the end of the units produced, then maybe. I think a decent 3.0/4.2 S-Type will significantly outperform a regular used car like a Taurus or Accord but not even keep up with inflation, so...

Of course I said that about my 100-4 Austin-Healey also when I bought it 15 years ago and now look at how much these stupid things sell for, so what the hell do I know??

Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Bull,

I'm with you. 25 years ago I collected certain cars and had several garage queens. The financial portion of my brain eventually overtook the sentimental portion and by the early 90s, I reduced my vehicle ownership down from 7 to just 3. Today, each vehicle has its role(s) to fill, and it must do so economically. When roles change or the vehicle becomes a money drain, it is disposed of either by being sold or in some cases, donated to charity for a tax deduction. In our household, practicality overcame the collective urge two decades ago and I'm now far too financially motivated to ever go back....
Just remember to not look down on those who are not motivated by money.. Just like I can't take my car with me...Neither goes the money....

In my case.. My oldest son has promised to care for the 600 when I can't... He remembers falling asleep in it riding home from his Grandfather's (My Dad) house.. There are some pleasures in life that cannot be created by money.. And, based on that, I could never sell the Dodge anyway.. So what it is really worth is of no consequence..

Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that you should not drive the car on salted roads and ice if you don't have to. I haven't driven mine in 3 months now, it's been sitting in a climate controlled storage unit since Nov. The battery is dead as a rock and the car can't even be jumped its so bad. The dealer is coming out next week to put a new battery in it and I'm going to drive it and take it up to 120 or 130mph to get it nice and warmed up. But, 100 miles a year is really bad. I couldn't do that if i tried. Drive the damn thing more than that. It's just a 3.0, it will never be worth anything someday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about an S-type Garage Queen