Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2003 S-Type 3.0 V-6 No Power to Fuel Pump (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2003-s-type-3-0-v-6-no-power-fuel-pump-100126/)

bebxtd597 08-06-2013 11:04 AM

2003 S-Type 3.0 V-6 No Power to Fuel Pump

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 S-type with the 3.0 L V-6 and a bad fuel pump. I am not getting any power to my fuel pump since I replaced it (I had power going to it before. I also replaced the fuel filter). Not sure if it matters but I also replaced the battery (the battery appeared old and had corroded connections so I figured I would start fresh with a battery and cleaned my connections.) So far I have reset the intertia switch and checked the fuses and relays, or at least I think I have them all covered (I am new to Jaguar so I would not put it past me to overlook something like this). I checked the fuses and relays in the trunk, under the hood, and on the passenger side kick panel. My theft light is not flashing. Any ideas as to where I need to be directing my attention. All help is very appreciated, its a great looking car and I really want to drive it. Thanks.

Ben

JagV8 08-06-2013 11:56 AM

PATS ("theft") light should flash when car locked. If it doesn't even do that then you have a power problem.

It should also go on steady when starting, then stay off as engine runs. If engine doesn't run then it commonly flashes a code (watch and count for 2 mins).

Another idea would be an OBD tool - e.g. elm327 is good and only about $10 on amazon - and see what it reveals.

bebxtd597 08-06-2013 12:45 PM

Thanks JagV8,

My PATS light is not flashing and has not been flashing since I got the vehicle. I have a code reader, I will hook it up this afternoon and see if it tells me anything. Good thought considering I have not been able to drive the car I really don't have any idea if the check engine light is on or not. I will get on this ASAP. Thanks again.

Ben

JagV8 08-06-2013 02:06 PM

I suppose the PATS light could be disconnected or blown. OBD should work. Try not to clear codes if you have any. You should at least have P1000 or else P1111.
You'll need key in Run (ign II) position.

bebxtd597 08-06-2013 03:44 PM

Just put on the code reader, got P1111, which I have come to understand is the happy code. One thing I found was that I am getting no power to fuse F47 in the luggage comparment. Thanks again for all the help.

jimbov8 08-06-2013 04:20 PM

F47. is the power line through the fuel pump relay R15. Switch ignition to position II and try again. If no joy then, suspect relay.

I will have a proper look at this for you in the morning.

JagV8 08-06-2013 06:09 PM

Don't give up, progress - even if a bit frustrating - is being made!

The electrical guide is part of JTIS - also free on here.

bebxtd597 08-06-2013 07:46 PM

I noticed the electrical guide and it has given me more ideas. JagV8 thanks a lot for the suggestions. Jimbov8 thank you for taking the time to give this a more complete look. I have found the F47 fuse to be a link between the fuel pump driver/fuel pump and the rear electric module. From the looks of it I need to do some intensive investigating of the wiring involved. If the part itself is fried I see its rather expensive and probably is only available through the dealer. Anyone else thanks in advance for ideas. I am glad I found this site, lots of knowledge and information to work with. I just got to take the time and hopefully I can be on the road.

Ben

jimbov8 08-07-2013 05:24 AM

OK Ben, here we go.

Switch ignition to position II. having first checked F4 5A in the Primary junction fuse box. This allows power to the inertia switch.

Check output from inertia switch on pin CA4-1 coloured GU. This is your switched supply for the fuel pump relay and the rear electronic control module. If no output, check inertia switch again.

If you have output from switch, check input to pin 1 of fuel pump relay. If no input then suspect would be the diode.

Check F23 30A in the rear power distribution fuse box, this is the power line through the relay to F47.

Check the connectors for the fuel pump and rear electronic module are seated correctly.

This should give you something to be going on with and hopefully sort the problem.

bebxtd597 08-07-2013 09:12 AM

Jimbov,

Thanks, this is a lot of help. I have one question (probably a duh duh answer but indulge me). On the third item if I have no input on fuel pump relay you say suspect diode. Where is this diode or is it just part of the relay itself. Thanks.

Ben

jimbov8 08-07-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bebxtd597 (Post 787215)
Jimbov,

Thanks, this is a lot of help. I have one question (probably a duh duh answer but indulge me). On the third item if I have no input on fuel pump relay you say suspect diode. Where is this diode or is it just part of the relay itself. Thanks.

Ben

Good question. The drawing is pretty vague but I would say, as it is shown within the distribution box and on the GU coloured wire, that it is either within the relay or fitted inside the connector or possibly in line on the wire.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that.

bebxtd597 08-07-2013 12:31 PM

No problem, I will chase these down this evening and report back. Thanks for your help again.

Ben

bebxtd597 08-07-2013 03:11 PM

Lovely new development. Since I have had doors and the trunk open quite a bit over the last 24 hours I decided to charge the battery (even though I just put a new one in). Put the key in when I got home and have the theft light flashing. What are my options now? Am I stuck with having to try to find a dealer or are there options for the guy at his home. I tried another key to no avail. Thanks again for the help.

Ben

jimbov8 08-07-2013 03:23 PM

Oh boy, you're not making this any easier are you.

If you now have a fully charged battery, try the hard reset. if that doesn't work you should be able to disable the security system by removing the fuse.

Lets try and get it running first before we look at other things.

JagV8 08-08-2013 08:10 AM

Maybe flattish battery so modules can't talk to each other. You absolutely need good power.

bebxtd597 08-09-2013 03:23 PM

Hey all,

Sorry I had something come up and had not gotten the chance to work on the car. I tried the hard reset and it did not work. I was able to finally get it to run when I disabled the anti-theft. I enabled the anti-theft after I got it running and to my luck it still started, no flashing theft light. Looks like I am in good shape now (hopefully). I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I could not have done it without the aid. Have a good day everyone.

jimbov8 08-09-2013 03:24 PM

Glad to hear it Ben, hope you are now free of trouble.

Precha 07-02-2014 07:27 PM

how did you disable the anti theft what fuse is it... I am looking now

clubairth1 07-03-2014 07:44 AM

Even with a new battery you have stressed it quite a bit. Are you driving enough to get it charged back up?

After reading your story it looks like the battery was the main suspect even after you installed a new one because you did not find any problems and it eventually started and worked OK.

Please start another thread on the Anti-Theft (Pats). You are just confusing this thread.

FireKitten 08-25-2016 08:52 PM

i was reading the thread & its helped me except for one thing, can someone please tell me the location of the fuse for the security system so i can disable it please