Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2003 S-Type Window Regulator Replacement (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2003-s-type-window-regulator-replacement-57739/)

EZrider800 07-14-2011 02:03 PM

2003 S-Type Window Regulator Replacement

OK. I finally got around to swapping out the broken window regulator in my 2003 S-Type drivers door. I was told by several on here that the Lincoln LS regulator would work but it's very different. I was told to just swap the electric motors between the two and everything else would work. (see previous thread from a couple months ago)

For those of you that have done this could you answer a couple questions? Did you drill out the rivets that hold the brackets to the channels and swap the complete motor assembly including the bracket the motor is bolted to? Or did you unscrew the motors from the brackets and put the Jag motor on the Lincoln bracket? I removed the Jag motor and it doesn't appear there is enough room on the Lincoln bracket to be able to re-drill the holes to match the Jag bolt holes. The Lincoln bracket is much smaller.

Also the Lincoln motor uses a metal gear with about 5 blades on it to turn the spool and the Jaguar motor uses a plastic fine tooth gear to turn the spool. SO if I don't swap out the complete assembly I guess I have to swap the spool too?

Some of you guys acted like this was really simple but nothing is the same between these two window regulators as far as the motor assembly and spool is concerned.

Help a brother out. Give me a clue how to make this work. Thanks!

"EZ"

EZrider800 07-14-2011 03:05 PM

I give up. I see absolutely no way in this world to swap the Lincoln motor with the Jaguar motor. The mounting plates (brackets) are different. The gear drives are different. The pulleys are different. The pulleys are mounted completely different and are mounted so that if you drill out the swedged rivet to remove the Lincoln pulley so you can use the Jag pulley then the shaft of the Jag motor will not fit the hole and will wobble badly. Using the Lincoln pulley is impossible, the Jaguar motor will not attach to it. Drilling out the rivets to remove the Lincoln mounting plate and replacing it with the jaguar mounting plate will not work because the pulleys are attached to the plates and are not removeable.

You guys that told me this would work are full of crap and don't know what you are talking about. If you own a 2003 or newer Jaguar S-Type DO NOT buy the Lincoln window regulator Dorman part # 741-876 because it will not work and you CAN NOT just swap the motors like they will tell you here.

Anybody want to buy a brand new Lincoln drivers window regulator for $50???? It WILL fit the 2000-2002 Jaguar S-Type. Just plug and play from what I've read. No motor swapping or anything. E-mail me at ezrider800@catt.com. Thanks!

willett5555 07-07-2019 12:58 PM

Window pin -how do remove

I have a 2001 S type with a broken rear left motor
I am trying to take the pin out to release the window however I am unclear about this. I have found the access panel but am uneasy ponding out he pin. Question is does the pin go through a hole on the window as it it does not why am I pounding the pin into the glass. Just worries bout breaking the window.
Thnks for any help, I’m stumped t this point.Any pictures would be great !

kr98664 07-07-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by willett5555 (Post 2095381)
I have a 2001 S type with a broken rear left motor
I am trying to take the pin out to release the window

I've replaced two window regulators on my '02, but it's been a while. Unfortunately I don't remember messing with any pins.

This thread shows the details for a 2003+, but much of it should be applicable to early models:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-57126/

Here's a description for early models:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

No mention of any pins, which is more in line with my potentially fault memory.