Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2005 S-type - Wipers, AC, Park Brake, Power Seats all failed (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2005-s-type-wipers-ac-park-brake-power-seats-all-failed-197217/)

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 12:31 PM

2005 S-type - Wipers, AC, Park Brake, Power Seats all failed

My wipers must have been turned on and the wiper blades were frozen to the window. When I got them unstuck they made one pass.

When I got back into the car the wipers, AC, Park Brake, Power Seats all failed.

What central relay, diode or other problem could cause this?

Thanks
Erik

JagV8 02-22-2018 12:42 PM

The diagrams are on here & on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource so you can figure it out - free.

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 12:58 PM

Yes, thanks, been through that with a mechanic friend, we could not find a common link. Thought it might be the ignition fuse because that feeds several of the switching units, however, that was not the case Fuse F3 in the boot fuse box was just fine.

I also called a Jaguar mechanic who said, there are no common relays, which I do not believe - ifs 2005 S-type - its a Ford and Ford is famous for common relays feeding multiple unrelated systems....

So still at a loss.

Norri 02-22-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Erik-Lindquist (Post 1846912)
its a Ford and Ford is famous for common relays feeding multiple unrelated systems....

So still at a loss.

Oh dear!

Welcome to the forum Erik, please post an intro in the new members section when you can.

I had a scan through the diagrams and don't see an obvious common link, I'd just troubleshoot each one as an individual fault and see where that leads you.

Please keep us updated.

joycesjag 02-22-2018 01:21 PM

Common link.....the battery? Many strange electrical gremlins rear their ugly heads when the battery is failing. Read all about it with a simple search.

How old is the battery?

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 01:36 PM

Circa 2005 - yes I believe it could be the battery - it is definitely a root cause for sure.

JagV8 02-22-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Erik-Lindquist (Post 1846912)
we could not find a common link.

I also called a Jaguar mechanic who said, there are no common relays, which I do not believe - ifs 2005 S-type - its a Ford and Ford is famous for common relays feeding multiple unrelated systems....

Have you considered that the reason you could not find a common link is that the Jaguar mechanic is right and your statement about Ford is not relevant...

I would start from there and work logically through the diagrams (and pinpoint tests in the free download workshop manual).

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1846933)
Have you considered that the reason you could not find a common link is that the Jaguar mechanic is right and your statement about Ford is not relevant...

I would start from there and work logically through the diagrams (and pinpoint tests in the free download workshop manual).

Too funny 😂

Well not to be outdone by people that just want to look for problems (otherwise known as gremlins). I don’t like chasing ghosts.

I went and bought a new $220 battery (only real root cause) brought it to the car - and thought before I go get my son to help replace the battery why don’t I see if the gremlins have taken a nap - and voila it started and I could get it in gear (and the wipers worked)...

I’ll replace the battery and see how it goes.

Gremlins beware...

joycesjag 02-22-2018 02:59 PM

HA HA HA! a Forduar, sheesh.... or is it a Jagord? Fire the mechanic!

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 03:27 PM

Actually, the Ford connection is relevant, at least in terms of it going back to a central problem - they all need a minimum current /voltage to operate.
  • Park Brake - Emergency brake motor - takes a minimum voltage of 11+ volts
  • Windshield wipers - motor - minimum current
  • Power seats - motor - minimum current
  • Parking Gear - interlock - minimum voltage
Except that does not explain why the display went dead, while the car was running

You are right - its not a Ford, Ford would have protected the circuits and the battery with relays....

JagV8 02-22-2018 03:43 PM

Which fuses have blown?

Have you actually checked the relays? (Those will be the ones you appear to think are not present.)

Norri 02-22-2018 03:47 PM

Did it start when all this stuff wasn't working?

If not wouldn't that be something to mention?

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 1847017)
Did it start when all this stuff wasn't working?

If not wouldn't that be something to mention?

It started and all the systems that formerly did not operate (as listed above) worked fine.

It did complain while starting as it would if it was not getting enough current to the starter.

But once it started all the systems worked.

I do do note that when I tried the first time it was about -4 C and when i went back 4 hours later it was +2C. and from another Jag group found that some of the relays in the boot of older model jags (2005 comes up) have a tendency to freeze closed, which can draw current and kill the battery. That they are for other systems is irrelevant as the systems that were affected all have a minimum current requirement (common link) and if they can’t get it they don’t function (at all).

It all makes sense - Jag has an all or nothing philosophy- instead of just protecting the systems. I guess it comes from it’s Lucas heritage.

I also note that if the window wipers were trying to run while they were frozen that would have drawn a fair bit of current (did not blow the breaker) but if the relays were frozen and the battery weak it could effectively cause a cascade failure.

Fortunately we don’t normally get this cold weather for very long.

JagV8 02-22-2018 05:34 PM

Yeah it's so bad you look to be the only person of the thousands on here over the many years who's suffered whatever it was.

Erik-Lindquist 02-22-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1847076)
Yeah it's so bad you look to be the only person of the thousands on here over the many years who's suffered whatever it was.

no there are more than enough issues with jaguars to cover thousands of these blogs

JagV8 02-23-2018 01:29 AM

For someone with a few posts you sure claim to know a lot about Fords.

Not so much about Jaguars...

kr98664 02-23-2018 05:32 AM

:icon_lurk5:

joycesjag 02-23-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664 (Post 1847248)
:icon_lurk5:

I see Karl brought the popcorn, I will supply couch and the beer!

:icon_couch:

Round 1 to JagV8

Round 2 to JagV8

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1847076)

Round 3 to JagV8

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1847203)
For someone with a few posts you sure claim to know a lot about Fords.
Not so much about Jaguars...

kr98664 02-23-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag (Post 1847287)

Rick

2005, S Type 3.0
89,100 miles

Rick, I just noticed your new signature. Do you have to update it every time you drive the car? :icon_couchhide:

JagV8 02-23-2018 09:06 AM

His .sig grabs the miles via a web link?

hmm... now there's an idea...