Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2007 STR Stalling (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2007-str-stalling-51108/)

RonG 03-08-2011 10:06 PM

2007 STR Stalling

Our 07 STR has a continuing problem of randomly stalling when coasting at just over idle. Common areas for it to stall would be idling through a parking lot looking for a spot, coasting to a stoplight or in stop and go traffic on the freeway. The engine restarts immediately after it dies.

We have had 2 dealers look at the car (each 2 times). No codes and no check engine light. The dealers have re-flashed and upgraded the computer program twice. They also replaced 2 bad spark plugs and coils. The stalling still persists.

The dealers checked the fuel system and the engine electronics, but no problems found. Other than the stalling, the car runs great.

Any ideas on where the dealer should look next? Thank you.

H20boy 03-08-2011 10:51 PM

Only thing that even comes remotely close that I can relate to is the earlier 4.0 xk8s used to have throttle body connector issues, and it would stall at steady highway speeds...either poor contact, or tin-gold pin mismatches, sometimes humidity/moisture can get into the TB connectors and cause problems too. The s-type guys can elaborate more on that issue...as I've only caught some statements here and there during moderator duties.

JagV8 03-09-2011 03:02 AM

A bad connection might be the cause. Or a slight air leak. No doubt there are other possibilities.

You can usually detect an air leak by looking at the fuel trims, which will show fuel being added at idle if there's a leak. An elm327 at about $20 will do this.

RonG 03-09-2011 08:54 AM

Thanks.

I ordered an ELM327. I going to try to get the car to stall while data is being logged. Hopefully, this will help the dealer.

bfsgross 03-09-2011 08:55 AM

Did the dealer/tech check/change the fuel filter?

JagV8 03-09-2011 09:30 AM

It's worth a careful listen with the hood (bonnet) up and engine idling (somewhere safe and be safe!) in case you can hear any hissing - but a marginal or intermittent leak may not be audible.

Glockjag 03-09-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RonG (Post 317833)
Our 07 STR has a continuing problem of randomly stalling when coasting at just over idle. Common areas for it to stall would be idling through a parking lot looking for a spot, coasting to a stoplight or in stop and go traffic on the freeway. The engine restarts immediately after it dies.

We have had 2 dealers look at the car (each 2 times). No codes and no check engine light. The dealers have re-flashed and upgraded the computer program twice. They also replaced 2 bad spark plugs and coils. The stalling still persists.

The dealers checked the fuel system and the engine electronics, but no problems found. Other than the stalling, the car runs great.

That happened to me twice already for some odd reason, I have 2007 STR also. as soon as I accelerate it turns off but just put in park and crank it up again with no problem.

vance580 03-09-2011 07:03 PM

I would check and make sure everything on the intake is sealed up. Make sure your filter is fit correctly and the box lid is closed properly. Make sure all the intake clamps are snug. I had something similar happen with a different car I had (not my S type) and it was cause the intake was loose and was throwing something off letting in the bad air and made it stall at idle.

RonG 03-09-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross (Post 318019)
Did the dealer/tech check/change the fuel filter?

Yes. The dealer replaced all the filters including fuel. There was also a problem with the thermostat that would not allow the engine to reach proper operating temperature. This was replaced along with leaking coolant reservoir tank. The dealer thought this might be the problem, but the car stalled again this last weekend.

RonG 03-09-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8 (Post 318030)
It's worth a careful listen with the hood (bonnet) up and engine idling (somewhere safe and be safe!) in case you can hear any hissing - but a marginal or intermittent leak may not be audible.

Good idea. I'm not a expert, but I took a listen and the engine sounds excellent. No odd hissing noises (or any other bad noises for that matter) around the intake, supercharger, valve covers or exhaust manifolds. The idle is very smooth as well

We drove it all day today with no problems. Traffic, stoplights, you name it and not one hiccup. This is very odd.

JagV8 03-10-2011 04:17 AM

Hope it's not a chafed wire - can be awful to find!

bfsgross 03-10-2011 12:00 PM

My gut is loose etc. wiring.

H20boy 03-10-2011 12:49 PM

question, is your stall immediately, like motor just shut off? Or did it stumble, then die? Did the speedo still work, etc?

RonG 03-10-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy (Post 318705)
question, is your stall immediately, like motor just shut off? Or did it stumble, then die? Did the speedo still work, etc?

The engine just stops. No stumble or warning. I'm not sure about the speedo since the car is going maybe 1 or 2 mph. It never happens where there is any real speed.

In fact, I never feel it die. I'm idling along and then go to accelerate, but there is nothing there... No interruption in power to lights, stereo or dash.

Thanks for the help....

Tboneguy 03-10-2011 08:10 PM

I've experienced the same exact problem with my 06 STR! 4 times now, and always as I'm coasting thru a parking lot looking for a space. I've typically just come off the highway where I was crusing at 70+

No stumble, no codes, nothing ...

Gus 03-10-2011 08:50 PM

This is what Matt was talking about http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepTB.htm Not sure this is your problem but it is worth looking at. I did a little checking on alldata and it addresses a Drivability Issue/Stalling and it addresses grounding connections, mega fuses and fuse box power lead in the trunk near the battery and other fuse boxes and it goes on. I cannot suggest this is the problem with your 2007 because this TSB s 303-07 refers to 2000 to 2002 S-Type. This is another post you should read and compare notes https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51216 I hope this helps!

MirEgal 03-13-2011 07:54 PM

Had the exact same problem on my 06 STR

I took my 06 STR into my dealer with the exact same symtpons a couple months ago. Their diagnosis was a bad catalitic converter (right side I think). Anyways they replaced it, free of charge, and I have not had the problem since then.

Originally Posted by RonG (Post 317833)

joycesjag 03-13-2011 07:59 PM

Mir do you happen to know what codes the car was throwing???

BTW nice collection of STRs!

MirEgal 03-15-2011 01:24 AM

RE: Codes

joycesjag, Sorry but no. I remember my Jag dealer telling me over the phone the codes, however, since he said the fix was a freebie I wasn't really paying attention.

Originally Posted by joycesjag (Post 320386)
Mir do you happen to know what codes the car was throwing???

BTW nice collection of STRs!

TommyT 02-27-2014 05:06 AM

Any light to shed on this subject? My wifes 07' has been doing this for a year and a half. Have done all the same as the OP for fixing it with no luck. It really gets her going when it happens.....I'd sure like to get it fixed for her!