Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   2008 Jaguar s-type trunk light switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/2008-jaguar-s-type-trunk-light-switch-212440/)

Vandyone 01-03-2019 07:48 PM

Now I regret buying this car.

The boot open light won't go out I cannot find the trunk light switch I looked for a plunger but can't find it. Where is the trunk light switch for this car? My trunk light is stays on I see no switch anywhere and so far nobody online says where it is. Does anyone know where this switch is? I saw no plunger near hinges or latch.

Paul792 01-04-2019 02:47 PM

Hi Vandyone
The link below discusses broken wires on a 2003 S Type in the loom that causes the boot light switch to stay on. It explains where it is, and part numbers. I don't know if it is changed on a 2008 model or, if it is your issue.

You can test the switch. When it is working it will cut the power when pressed. After post 16 it mentions the problem where the wires get chafed with the opening and closing of the boot and there are helpful photos in post 18 and 19.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ll-time-84719/

Good luck
Paul

Vandyone 01-04-2019 03:33 PM

Turns out on 08 the sensor is inside the latch somewhere and it's a brand-new latch so it's not the latch. Don't know what else it could be boot open light has been on for months trunk worked until now. Now it won't close at all. Terrible. Now it's starting to feel like a Jaguar. Starting to regret buying it.

Norri 01-04-2019 03:41 PM

So this is the boot open warning on the dash not the light in the boot?
Why was the latch changed?
You say it won't close, does that mean the lid won't latch?

Vandyone 01-04-2019 03:52 PM

The lights in the trunk stay on won't go out. Boot open has been on for months couldn't figure out why. everything worked. Recently trunk stopped latching. It hashbeen doing that intermittingly as the boot open light came on.was told it was the door module. Put in a used one that was said have been working properly. Matched part numbers. Either way nothing changed except key fob didn't work. But trunk won't latch. Maybe the used door module needed programming. I don't know. Guess I'll look that up. Put old module on fob works again but no luck in trunk. Plastic cover to latch is gone must have fallen off in traffic when lid popped up. Have to chain it down. Making my job harder.

Norri 01-04-2019 04:19 PM

My first thought would be a broken wire in the loom at the hinge.

kr98664 01-07-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vandyone (Post 2009285)
it's a brand-new latch so it's not the latch.

:icon_crackup:

Oh stop it, you're killing me. Haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

I've lost count how many times I've had brand new parts bad from stock. Not too common, but it happens, so never rule out that possibility.

Wiring diagrams here:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Open the diagrams for your year, and scroll to section 12 for the trunk latch. As you have noted, the "trunk ajar" sensor is inside the latch assembly. No big deal, you should be able to read continuity through the switch contacts. Use a small screwdriver to manually cycle the latch and simulate the trunk fully closed.

If the switch checks good, test for a good ground, as illustrated to the left of the switch. The diagram isn't very clear there, but it's possible that ground wire runs along the hinge arm and past the hinge. If so, that wire would be prone to damage from flexing. However, the trunk release solenoid shares that same wire, so if that works okay, the problem is elsewhere.

Finally, check the wire between the switch/latch and the Rear Electronic Control Module (RECM). This wire is definitely prone to flexing damage. Check for good continuity end to end while raising and lowering the trunk lid. Also check for the proper lack of continuity to ground while moving the trunk lid.

Before starting, I'd also suggest releasing one of the rear seat backs. That way if you inadvertently get the trunk stuck closed, you can still access the latch in a pinch.