Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   3.0Ltr V6 S Type Jaguar cooling fan issues?? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/3-0ltr-v6-s-type-jaguar-cooling-fan-issues-70677/)

Steve Type Jag 03-28-2012 02:59 PM

3.0Ltr V6 S Type Jaguar cooling fan issues??

Hi can anyone help me here with this....
cooling fan on 3.0L V6 not working and getting engine overheating in slow traffic...

drives absolutely fine on long /short journeys, but as soon as i hit slow or non moving traffic the engine over heats, which tells me the fan is not coming on automatically to cool the engine when idling or doing less than 30 mph, also noticed that the fan does not come on when parking up and switching off engine...

Is there a common fault i should look for?

I know there are two separate fuses 20amp when engine powered and 80amp when battery powered, but i fail to believe that both fuses could be blown and also the CHS (cylinder head sensor) must be working because it warns me that the 'engine is overheating'...

so what's it going to be control module, fan or harness?

or am right off the beaten track and there is a simple explanation? many thanks. Steve.

Thermo 03-28-2012 11:24 PM

Steve, look on the radiator in the upper driver's side corner. Do you see a control module for the fans? If so, you have the same setup as the X-Types use. That fan controller is known for failing like you are talking about. You can do a proof test by opening up the hood, starting the engine with the motor cold. Now, turn on your A/C to max (coldest temp, fan speed on max). This will force the fan to run at full speed. Now, with the car running, lean over the radiator a little bit. Is your hair blowing all over the place or are you simply getting a gentle breeze? If you are getting little to no air flow, then your fan module more than likely is toast. if you are getting tons of air, then you have a cooling system issue (more than likely a bad water pump with excessive impeller clearances).

Steve Type Jag 03-29-2012 05:19 AM

is that 'driver side' left or right i'm in the UK, gotta feeling you might be left hand drive... many thanks by the way.
Steve

Steve Type Jag 03-29-2012 10:22 AM

Ok Thermo... i stuck my head under the bonnet and did the things you suggested... first there is only one fan behind the radiator.. from front of car to the left upper/inner radiator there is a connector not plugged into anything and to the right nothing of any real interest... so maybe x type is different? but definately not seeing the fan work at all, even when the engine gets to 'overheat mode'. what does the control module look like?

Norri 03-29-2012 11:12 AM

Steve, you should go to the new members section amd post an intro, there is a good chance our Admin will upgrade you to full access without the usual restrictions, I see that he and you are both on line right now so.......
After that if you go to the FAQ's you should be able to access the electrical diagrams in the FAQ's which should help you.

Thermo 03-29-2012 05:53 PM

Steve, looking up in my manual (which only covers up to 2003, but should be pretty accurate if you have a later year car), the module is on the right hand side (your driver's side), on the back side of the radiator. So, you will need to look in the space between the headlight and the radiator in that little hole that is there. If you follow the wires from the fan back, the fan wires will lead you right to the fan control module.

From the sounds of things, I would first check to see if fuses F38 (10 amp fuse) is good and also fuse F13 (80 amp) is good. Those are simple checks and can likely be a failure too.

Steve Type Jag 03-30-2012 04:10 AM

Thanks Norri, done the intro thing...
Now then back to business... Thermo.. you must be looking at a slightly different manual... i dont have an F38 fuse and the only 80 amp fuse i can find is F9 (80 amp which is ok. my year is 2000 (W reg) what is the 10amp fuse title? i'll look it up in my drivers handbook.
again many thanks... going to have a hunt for the module now... :)
Steve

Steve Type Jag 03-30-2012 04:33 AM

just an update the 80 amp fuse is #25 according to the electrics manual that i now have access to. :)

Precha 08-06-2012 12:22 PM

Steve was the module ever found?

I think mine is going out, when I plug the fan up it will work outside the car. When the fan is in the car it will not run some time,so I just want to replace the module if I can find it.

Steve Type Jag 08-07-2012 04:15 AM

yes module found.. the real problem was garage mechanic had not connected the harness to the fan motor!!

ATerry 09-11-2012 07:58 AM

Thermo,
I seem to have an 2003 S Type where the Rad fan only seems to have one speed which is fast enought for the blades to disappear but doesnt cause much of a flow (thought it wasnt working).
With the AC set to low again the fan runs at the same speed, do you think this is the control unit? Just to add the AC works fine when moving even at a slow speed but i start to get warm air at idle.

Thanks
Adrian

liz1769 09-12-2012 09:48 PM

my fan no turn off

bluedust 08-11-2014 09:33 AM

AC Radiator Problem

Hello Adrian,
i have the same problem with the fan. When I' m driving the ac blows cool air into the car. When I'm driving slowly the air isn't cool anymore. I have filled up the refrigerent and it is still the same. Maybe you have a solution for this yet? The fan in front of the car only works very slow in one speed.

Sincerly yours

Sven

Originally Posted by ATerry (Post 579528)
Thermo,
I seem to have an 2003 S Type where the Rad fan only seems to have one speed which is fast enought for the blades to disappear but doesnt cause much of a flow (thought it wasnt working).
With the AC set to low again the fan runs at the same speed, do you think this is the control unit? Just to add the AC works fine when moving even at a slow speed but i start to get warm air at idle.

Thanks
Adrian

bluedust 09-10-2014 03:16 PM

Sorry for bothering but I still have the same problem. I have bought a radiator control module but I cantīt find where the old one is placed on the radiator. So maybe since model 2003 this module is not longer existing?

Thank you for your help

sven

Originally Posted by bluedust (Post 1033958)
Hello Adrian,
i have the same problem with the fan. When I' m driving the ac blows cool air into the car. When I'm driving slowly the air isn't cool anymore. I have filled up the refrigerent and it is still the same. Maybe you have a solution for this yet? The fan in front of the car only works very slow in one speed.

Sincerly yours

Sven

JagV8 09-12-2014 06:05 AM

It's on the circuit diagram and I don't see any way it's not on the car. On the rad I expect...

bluedust 09-13-2014 03:51 AM

Thanks for your answer. I have just bought a radiator with controller from a 2003 4.2 Jaguar.
So even if I just needed control unit I now have the radiator with the control unit mounted so I can see where it belongs to;-). Don't think I am mad because of buying the radiator only to see where the control unit is mounted. Here in Germany I have payed 25€ incl. freight for it. So you are right, sure is it used in the models from 2003 on. I just thought and think until I have took a look for it, that from 2003 on a newer Version of the control module is used?

The module is placed on the german driver side so it's your passenger side very far down on the radiator.

Sincerly yours

Sven

JagV8 09-13-2014 03:57 AM

It's not mad at that price! Whether the 3.0 is the same I don't know but is it not in JTIS?

Electrical Guide may show if it changed but otherwise try parts catalogue (e.g. free JEPC) or web sites.

jaguar jon02 09-23-2022 10:24 AM

i've got a 2003 s type v-6, fan not working (only has 1) been to three junk yards tore apart 3 2003's still can't find module, where else would jag hide it? got another fan , no module on it. 2 plugs 1 has 2 big wires 1 has 2 small ones

JagV8 09-23-2022 05:30 PM

Is it not where the Electrical Guide says?

jaguar jon02 09-24-2022 11:00 AM

not on the 3 cars in junk yard or mine, now find out a/c compressor not coming on , full of freon