S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eratic lighting issues

Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Eratic lighting issues

What up everybody,
Well I have a good one for ya! While driving I switched on the turn signal and it was going double speed. I thought it was a bulb or module but then it went back to normal. So I thought this is over right, not so fast, this morning I start the car up and noticed the oil light is on so I check the oil and it's fine start back up and no light but now my fog lights are on so I turn them off, shut the car off and my passenger headlight will not go out even in the off mode. no matter what I do it will not go off! I start messing with the switch and trying the blinkers and also notice that they are blinking and then sometimes not and sometimes staying on even though the arrow on the dash is blinking normal. and this is the same left or right. The headlight does go off eventually when the 10 minute battery anti drain feature kicks in. I checked for water in the trunk and it is dry.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Last edited by badmojo; 10-24-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It may be damp or corrosion in the harness in the front bumper.

(Or indeed, damp/corrosion elsewhere but the harness has been reported before.)

Some searching may get you previous threads about it.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks, I did start right after having a heater hose replaced by Jaguar. Is it possible that the harness got wet during this procedure and would it eventually dry out and be OK? I can probably clean and dry it with electrical connector cleaning spray.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by badmojo
Thanks, I did start right after having a heater hose replaced by Jaguar. Is it possible that the harness got wet during this procedure and would it eventually dry out and be OK? I can probably clean and dry it with electrical connector cleaning spray.
Cleaning it with contact cleaner can't hurt. I may be hard to get to all of it. Be careful though, if there is a short, it may mess up a module somewhere if it hasn't already. I had a VW that did the same kind of thing. It ended up that the car was from the coast and there were signs of salt corrosion all over every connection. I eventually gave up when the wipers came on while the car was off and the key out! One new harness later and all was well. I would consider contacting the dealer as well.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM

thanks for the info and related story. This harness isn't in the greatest place either as far as being protected from dampness! It has been super rainy out here lately and I did go through some pretty heavy puddles yesterday right before it started and after sitting all day at work the blinker thing happened on the way home. so I bet something got wet! First I'll give it some time to dry out then I'll look into it further. Hopefully it will correct itself.
Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 PM

We'll after taking the bumper cover off and checking the wiring harness and switching some relays it seems that my lighting issue is resolving itself. I also used a blow drier in the fuse and relay panel. The lights are working properly now.
Thanks for the input.