Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Add front fog lights on S Type (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/add-front-fog-lights-s-type-115490/)

DukeOfStyria 04-09-2014 02:55 PM

Add front fog lights on S Type

My S Type had been ordered as a dealer's show car. Therefore it has a few extras (e.g. Navigation) but other things are missing which I wouldn't even think they had to be ordered on extra charge - like an auto-dimming inside mirror...

Trying to get familiar with my car I noticed there is a lot of wiring in place for things never been added from the options list. Which shall mean the connectors are there, only the part is missing (e.g. the CD changer).

This being an introduction - the extra I am missing most are the front fog lamps. Does anyone know if the wiring is there - hidden somewhere? If yes - where?
The idea is to add some good aftermarket fog lights (LED; some claim to come even with original connectors), to get a used switch for the dashboard (plenty available), drill proper holes in the place where the original one's supposed to be - and all's set!

btw: anyone sceptic to this idea may speak up now or shut up forever...

tx
Martin

JagV8 04-09-2014 04:48 PM

The fogs were removed as part of a design tweak and oil coolers put there.

I have an earlier car, which does have fogs. They're not much use and I wouldn't waste any time putting them on if they weren't there.

LEDs look awful, too, on an S-Type IMO.

Digital 04-09-2014 11:00 PM

I asked the dealer about fog lights for my STR that doesn't have the option and they told me it's a complete harness difference and they couldn't even tell me what i'd need to change to make it fully plug and play.

JagV8 04-10-2014 02:01 AM

Again, you have oil coolers there. You need those!

grandhaze 04-10-2014 04:59 AM

yes those fogs are useless. i put leds in behind the grill out of sight and so bright

DukeOfStyria 04-10-2014 06:21 AM

hello @all,
thanks for your input. Under certain conditions (rainy night, fog, snow fall) fog lights give you a speed advantage of 15 - 25 kms against not having them - therefore I just don't want to give up that idea... May be that the originals have proven useless.

@V8: no there can't be oil coolers in that place straight under the head lamps. 1st the coolers are all centrally located behind the grille, 2nd oil coolers need vent openings (and there are none) and 3rd there have been oval fog lights on the 1st series models and round ones on the 2nd series. I'm sure Jaguar wouldn't have moved oil coolers around depending on which option you ordered... (sometimes their solutions are funny but don't think they'd be that weird ;-)

JagV8 04-10-2014 07:01 AM

It's my understanding that they DID move the oil coolers and did delete the fogs. But get in there and do some work to see.

Injekter 04-10-2014 10:00 AM

MY 06 STR has no fog lights, as we all know, and oil coolers in the area fogs would have been, receiving air flow from the lower grill area directly in front of them..

Bad Cattitude 04-10-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 951417)
It's my understanding that they DID move the oil coolers and did delete the fogs. But get in there and do some work to see.

He has a 2.7 diesel, not an STR...

JagV8 04-10-2014 10:22 AM

They put the STR front on. Had to move stuff.

I'm sure he can still wire things if he can put some effort in.

police666 04-10-2014 10:38 AM

I don't see how fog lights that just light up the ground a few meters in front if you can give you a speed advantage.

If your only looking where your fog lights shine bad things are going to happen.

Digital 04-10-2014 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by police666 (Post 951556)
I don't see how fog lights that just light up the ground a few meters in front if you can give you a speed advantage.

If your only looking where your fog lights shine bad things are going to happen.

the idea behind fog lights is they shine under the fog thus lighting the road where your regular lights just bounce of the fog and cause glare.

JagV8 04-10-2014 12:52 PM

What worried me was the idea of going faster!! Still, not going to be near me so...

DukeOfStyria 04-10-2014 01:25 PM

hello folks,
interesting posts so far - thanks.

Just to give you some more insight: most areas in Austria are mountaineous which means there are a lot of roads with just 2 lanes and winding up and down. If you have a rainy night drive you will have to go 30-50kms w/out foglights (approx 22-32 miles/hr), because you don't see exactly where the road ends on the sides. With fog lights you can - so you can drive a bit faster.

But I understand now JagV8's concern since I have seen Bad Cattitude's signature pic of an STR... - in my case those additional vents for the brake disk ventilation (I'd guess) are closed with blinds and on regular models that's the place for foglights.

Bad Cattitude 04-10-2014 07:57 PM

Only one way to find out... Get down & dirty and have a look!

Injekter 04-10-2014 10:11 PM

when i changed my headlights, i had to remove the front bumper cover... back behind it down low , where fog lights would have been...was an empty plug in?

DukeOfStyria 04-11-2014 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Injekter (Post 951911)
when i changed my headlights, i had to remove the front bumper cover... back behind it down low , where fog lights would have been...was an empty plug in?

"..was an empty plug in?" - is that a question or a fact? Latter would be good..

DukeOfStyria 04-12-2014 05:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude (Post 951837)
Only one way to find out... Get down & dirty and have a look!

That's what I did today - getting down & dirty - the result you can see below. There ARE plugs in place for fog lights. Even in a nice little holder so they don't get dirty/wet - see attachment.

rgds,
Martin

Digital 04-12-2014 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DukeOfStyria (Post 952813)
That's what I did today - getting down & dirty - the result you can see below. There ARE plugs in place for fog lights. Even in a nice little holder so they don't get dirty/wet - see attachment.

rgds,
Martin

Get a bulb and plug it in.

DukeOfStyria 04-17-2014 02:01 AM

Technical advice required

Quick update: yesterday I got the fog-lights I ordered from Adamesh UK. Went to the car, changed the switch to the one I arranged for already beforehand, plugged the lamps in - just to see if they would be working. The lamp on the dashboard indicates, they are on, but the lights themselves NOTHING - ?? :icon_shrug:

Of course I did not give up right away (not my style), but tried the following:
- checked the fuses (the one for front fog lights is there and ok). Is there another maybe?
- changed the connection cables inside the fog light housing since it is suggested by the supplier because "some models use negative switching impulse".
- connected both lamps to see if maybe just one connector/lamp would be dead.

But I still did not get it working. Could it be that the use of the fog lamps needs to be activated by the dealer? (e.g. some software switch)

What I still need to check: if there is power on the wiring, but I need to see my neighbour for the right tools.

Meanwhile any usefull contribution welcome!
cheers
Martin