Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Advice (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/advice-176653/)

vela 02-12-2017 03:27 PM

Advice

I have a 2000 Jaguar S type. It has 102+k miles. About 4 years ago it was involved in a hit and run. It was taken to a shop for body work and paint and unfortunately for reasons beyond reasonable explanation..there it sat. I recently reaquired it and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice to get it back to running status. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

abonano 02-12-2017 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by vela (Post 1619387)
I have a 2000 Jaguar S type. It has 102+k miles. About 4 years ago it was involved in a hit and run. It was taken to a shop for body work and paint and unfortunately for reasons beyond reasonable explanation..there it sat. I recently reaquired it and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice to get it back to running status. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

You might want to pass on this project unless you have tons of disposable income. It sat unused for years for a reason. If it has the V6 then maybe. If it has the V8, do yourself a favor and walk away, quickly...

vela 02-12-2017 06:27 PM

I was the owner then and now. It sat not because of any mechanical problems, but because of other non related factors. It ran great before it was damaged and the damage was cosmetic not mechanical. It also ran fine after. It just sat for 4 years.

Grant Francis 02-12-2017 07:15 PM

In that case, and probably the least $$;s involved.

Change the engine oil.

Drain, no idea how, the fuel tank, and replenish with fresh fuel.

Change the fuel filter.

Repakce the battery.

Turn the key, see what happens.

The V6 or V8 should not vary the above that I am aware.

If that fails to raise a smile, there is always a Plan B.

abonano 02-12-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 1619515)
In that case, and probably the least $$;s involved.

Change the engine oil.

Drain, no idea how, the fuel tank, and replenish with fresh fuel.

Change the fuel filter.

Repakce the battery.

Turn the key, see what happens.

The V6 or V8 should not vary the above that I am aware.

If that fails to raise a smile, there is always a Plan B.

I bring up the V8 due to the known tensioner failure issues. Since the OP had this car before it sat that changes things for sure.

Fully agree with your advice above. Give it a whirl and fingers crossed.

Grant Francis 02-13-2017 04:36 AM

Agreed.

My S Type 3.4ltr had sat for 11 years, new battery, fresh fuel, topped up the radiator with "water", and drove it home, Jags are sooooo bloody reliable.

AND

Both our addresses are on file for the required JD delivery.

Ducmon 02-13-2017 10:37 AM

As it has been sitting there at the workshop for 4 years. I would add new tires to the shopping list as the old ones will have flat spots by now.

vela 02-14-2017 08:46 AM

Thank you gentleman. I appreciate your feedback and will keep you posted.