Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   airbag computer (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/airbag-computer-206833/)

mikchek 08-19-2018 03:35 PM

airbag computer

I have been having issues with my airbag light and I was told that my computer needs to be reset but I just realized that there was a s type at the junk yard that I might be able to pull the computer out of. I heard it was behind the radio (which I just took out of that car) Does anybody know where the computer is or have a diagram? It would be greatly appreciated.

JBzXJ40 08-19-2018 06:29 PM

This is for a 2002 S-Type. You'll need to remove the center console, and remove the vent duct going to rear, and also the one for the front floor vent ducts as show in the picture.
Removal
  1. Remove the floor console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 Instrument Panel and Console.
  2. Release the floor console register duct retaining tangs.
  3. Remove the floor console register duct.
Installation
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Installation
  1. WARNINGS:
    • To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
    • A restraints control module (RCM) only requires replacement if the system has incurred five separate deployments. At no time change the RCM for less than five separate deployments.
    CAUTION:Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.
    NOTE:Repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.
    To install, reverse the removal procedure.
      1. Tighten to 12 Nm.

Brutal 08-20-2018 09:21 AM

1st i would have to ask why replace the srs module? Not common to do so. Common issues are the clock spring in the steering column and the wiring under the front seats in back under the front seats that gets broken becuase putting srs wiring under the seat where it can be easily damaged is always a good idea. :)

motorcarman 08-20-2018 09:23 AM

What DTC is logged in the SRS module??
Are you going to replace the module without knowing the reason the fault light is on??

What is the Make, Model, Year of YOUR car? Is the SRS module compatible??
More questions than answers. I would not start swapping modules without knowing if it is compatible.

bob

Brutal 08-20-2018 10:47 AM

note that like both Bob I have alluded to, many shops and techs when they don't know how to diagnose a issue it always is "THE MODULE".
Sometimes yes this is true but more often it is not. And swapping in used programmed module is NEVER a good idea. You can end up with additional faults or a car that no longer wants to communicate.

motorcarman 08-20-2018 11:04 AM

Brutal, I guess we posted at about the same time. (2 minutes apart) I just took longer to type??

I remember going to NEW PRODUCT 00 (X200 intro) in California back in late 1999 and the instructor asking one of the guys from a local dealer about a NEW S-Type that would not start.

Seems that they were having trouble with a car and the tech decided to swap some modules around with a new car on the showroom floor.
Nothing worked out and then they had two DEAD CARS. It was a few weeks and BOTH cars were inop and the field service rep was trying to figure out how the get the cars working again. I guess the Jaguar training center was also involved trying to get the cars running again.

Moral of the story was.... We were told, DO NOT start swapping modules without calling Jaguar Technical Hotline first to see what can and cannot be safely swapped.

VID blocks can be corrupted!!!

bob

Brutal 08-20-2018 11:25 AM

LOL Bob you're older and long winded. :)

mikchek 08-20-2018 01:31 PM

Thank you for the insight guys...I have a 2001 S type 4.0.

I have been getting a flash code of 36 and an actual scan code of B1994. Driver Side Side-Mount Air Bag Circuit Open.

I checked with a few mechanics and they said I need my module reset but I just thought if I can get a cheap one out of the junk yard it might be more cost effective.

I have jiggled the wiring under the seat but the lights are still coming on.

Brutal 08-20-2018 01:39 PM

that is the code when the wiring under the seat (yellow) connector gets damaged. or broken. The other issue is at the side air bag itself with slight resistance setting the code. Many times the simple fact of us disconnecting the side seat air bag and reconnecting cleaned the connection and the light can then be cleared. Your not talking to a knowledgeable mechanic on this issue sorry. Why I always tell people. Take to someone that knows the car and the issues. You get better and cheaper repairs in the long run.

mikchek 08-20-2018 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 1949550)
that is the code when the wiring under the seat (yellow) connector gets damaged. or broken. The other issue is at the side air bag itself with slight resistance setting the code. Many times the simple fact of us disconnecting the side seat air bag and reconnecting cleaned the connection and the light can then be cleared. Your not talking to a knowledgeable mechanic on this issue sorry. Why I always tell people. Take to someone that knows the car and the issues. You get better and cheaper repairs in the long run.

if I redo the cable will the light just stop flashing or does it have to be cleared?

Brutal 08-20-2018 02:37 PM

if the problem is fixed it will stop flashing but it retains the code and will still turn on occasional till cleared

mikchek 08-20-2018 06:07 PM

Damn these connectors are hard to reach & access

motorcarman 08-20-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikchek (Post 1949668)
Damn these connectors are hard to reach & access

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!!!

bob

mikchek 08-22-2018 09:09 AM

can anybody tell me which connector I should be focused on? I took a few pictures under the seat.

FROM THE BACK
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1551077b2d.jpg

FROM THE FRONT
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e26ef57211.jpg

FROM THE BACK
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...0da6b2d9c1.jpg

Brutal 08-22-2018 09:43 AM

Earlier post, yellow connector is side air bag connector under seat

motorcarman 08-22-2018 12:27 PM

ALL SRS airbag connectors for these cars are always YELLOW. They usually have some sort of locking tab.

bob

mikchek 08-25-2018 03:26 PM

None are yellow...one in the front is kinda burnt orange but none yellow!

Is it true I have to remove one of the battery terminals to remove it?

mikchek 08-25-2018 04:58 PM

Owe often is the sourcs of the issue the battery?

motorcarman 08-26-2018 08:51 AM

If the connector itself is not YELLOW, the wires are. They will be yellow and/or yellow 'some-other-color-stripe'. The connector will also have a 'shorting-bar' inside the terminals that 'shorts' the wires when the plug is removed.

Be aware of this when diagnosing.

bob

mikchek 08-26-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1952534)
If the connector itself is not YELLOW, the wires are. They will be yellow and/or yellow 'some-other-color-stripe'. The connector will also have a 'shorting-bar' inside the terminals that 'shorts' the wires when the plug is removed.

Be aware of this when diagnosing.

bob

ok from the back I see a connector to the right with yellow wires coming out to the left connector and red wires coming out to the right connector.

I was going to just pull the connector out and put it back in to make sure its nice and snug.

Do I need to disconnect the battery?