S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help walk me through diagnosing my fuel pump circuit problem?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Can someone help walk me through diagnosing my fuel pump circuit problem?

Hello,

I have a 2006 S-Type, 3.0 V6. Great car. Once upon a time, I ran out of fuel. Ever since then, it has the following problem: The fuel gauge and Distance-to-Empty reading works fine from full tank to half a tank. When it gets down to half a tank (or sometimes less than half), the fuel gauge shuts off, there is no more DTE reading, a warning light comes on, and it gives the message "Fuel Pump Circuit Fault" (or Fuel Pump System Fault -- I forget exactly). From that point, I have a few more miles (maybe 10) until the car dies. It acts like it has run out of fuel. However there is still half a tank. However I have to add several gallons to get it to run again. It happens more on long trips; on short trips, it behaves normally all the way down to 1/8 of a tank. I speculate that whatever part is failing might be failing when it is warm from being in use.

Anyway, I know there are two pumps, one in each side of the tank. And I know there is a control module. And I know how to remove the pumps/sending units. And I know there is a screen I can make appear on the Sat Nav that gives the readings from the sending units, . . . but I don't remember how to get there or what the code is. I don't know which unit is number 1 and which is number 2. I don't know which one is the transfer pump and which one is the one that sends to the engine. And assuming for the moment it is one of the sending units that is bad, I don't know where is a good place to buy one at a fair price. There are multiple part numbers for each side, I can't tell which is which left or right, and I think there may be an early and late in 2006.

If anyone can help me, I really would appreciate it. I know there is a lot of information on the internet, but it is a bit overwhelming and too many places to look and sometimes conflicting information. I have spent hours reading over past months and haven't gotten the answers to the questions above.

Thank you,

Tony K.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

If you go to jagrepair.com you can get the workshop manual. This will probably be the best help that you can find as jaguar wrote it to help the technicians cure problems like this.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Vehicles with the 3.0 litre unit fitted have one fuel pump located on the RH side of the fuel tank when viewed from the driver's position.

It appears you have a failing fuel pump. Has the fuel filter been replaced?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 PM

It is a cheap repair.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5r1OMxA51s

Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Thank you -- I've spent some time on jagrepair.com and don't see a factory service manual anywhere, and I can't find anything there that discusses the fuel pumps or fuel pump circuit as per above. Am I missing something?

Yes, the S-Type (and Lincoln LS have two pumps. One on each side of the saddle-shaped tank. Discussed here and elsewhere: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-4-2-a-106285/

Thanks,

Tony

Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The sender are on both sides of the tank, drivers side is a jet pump that works to keep level even side to side and the engine pump that electrical is on the drivers side. Personally never seen your issue, but i would start by going into engineering mode in the instrument pack which shows raw numbers. Look at them when working correclty and then after it acts up and see if it still shows raw numbers. I would suspect you have a open in one of the senders and to diagnose youll have to pull out both and swing the arms up and down while monitoring the ohms will a dvom

The following users liked this post:
Tony K (11-07-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Thank you, Ducmon. I am aware of swapping out the pump; but if it were just the pump, wouldn't it stall but still read half a tank? Doesn't the fact that the gauge goes to zero also indicate a sending unit issue? Are the resistance values of the sending units published anywhere? I'm guessing the side of the car with the fuel filler neck is the main pump and the opposite side is the jet pump -- is this correct?

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Here is the link to the manual.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/CarPDFFiles/SType/S-Type%202002.5-2008-FSM-Workshop.pdf.

You can also get a
​​​​ the electrical plans
http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/CarPDFFiles/SType/S-Type-Electrical-2006on.pdf

Tony K (11-07-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
The sender are on both sides of the tank, drivers side is a jet pump that works to keep level even side to side and the engine pump that electrical is on the drivers side. Personally never seen your issue, but i would start by going into engineering mode in the instrument pack which shows raw numbers. Look at them when working correclty and then after it acts up and see if it still shows raw numbers. I would suspect you have a open in one of the senders and to diagnose youll have to pull out both and swing the arms up and down while monitoring the ohms will a dvom
Yes -- this is what I want to do. How do I go into engineering mode in a 2006. It has sat nav. Is it Menu + Phone and then 1971, or is that something else?

When you say driver side is the jet pump, are you referring to LHD / U.S. model?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Here is the link to the manual.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...M-Workshop.pdf.

You can also get a
​​​​ the electrical plans
http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...cal-2006on.pdf

THANK YOU! Outstanding! I couldn't find it for some reason. Many thanks!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by tony k
thank you, ducmon. I am aware of swapping out the pump; but if it were just the pump, wouldn't it stall but still read half a tank? Doesn't the fact that the gauge goes to zero also indicate a sending unit issue? Are the resistance values of the sending units published anywhere? I'm guessing the side of the car with the fuel filler neck is the main pump and the opposite side is the jet pump -- is this correct?

Thanks again!
yes to all this

Tony K (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM

Engineering mode, press and hold the button on the turn signal switch then either turn the ignition on or you can start all while holding it in. Hold it in till goes into engineering mode, gauge sweep etc. Then you can cycle all through the different option by pressing the same switch repeatadly

Tony K (11-07-2018)