S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control not working - Communication Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Climate Control not working - Communication Fault

My climate control stopped working (2003 STR with Nav). The radio works and all other functions appear to be OK, but when I push the climate button I get a message on the screen that reads "Communication Fault Consult Dealer". Check engine light is on, code is P1699 which is for the climate control. I inspected the RCCM and can't see any burnt traces. I used the electrical troubleshooting guide on JTIS (attached relevant portion for reference) and everything checks out except for the following test where I get a reading of 60 ohms;

B9 : CHECK FOR CORRECT BUS TERMINATION
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
3. Reconnect the climate control module module electrical connector, FC028. 4. Measure the resistance between the diagnostic connector FC001, pins 006 (Y) and 014 (G).
Is the resistance between 50 and 70 ohms?->
Yes INSTALL a new climate control module module. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.->
No Goto

Now for the questions,

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is there anything else I should do before trying to find a replacement RCCM?
JEPC says that there are several part numbers for the RCCM, my VIN is M44664, the next part number starts at VIN M68300, does this mean a module from a later VIN won't work?
An ebay seller selling a RCCM says that the module needs programmed to the car, I have not heard this anywhere else, is it correct?

Attached Files
File Type: docx
P1699.docx (15.8 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by AaronD81; 06-16-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I'm not sure anyone will know. (I doubt it needs programming/etc.)

Has the RCCM got good power, ground, etc?

It may be worth either getting your own Jag diag tool (Mongoose JLR + IDS/SDD) or a shop with one to see if the RCCM can be detected/etc. Depends a bit on the used RCCM price.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 PM

Power and ground are ok, haven't looked into mongoose yet, might go to dealer because used RCCMs are kin of pricy if I'm not sure that's the solution.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

AaronD81, before you go too much further, have a look here...

- JaguarClimateControl.com

... There again, maybe you already have. These guys are good.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Robinb
AaronD81, before you go too much further, have a look here...

- JaguarClimateControl.com

... There again, maybe you already have. These guys are good.
Yes, used that site when I replaced the DCCV last year. From what I've read they only fix visible wiring issues caused by faulty DCCVs, not chips or other computer hardware problems. Thanks for the reminder because I will at least give them a call before spending big dollars on a new RCCM.

My problem probably fits in this category...
Not all climate control modules are repairable ? what? gasp! - JaguarClimateControl.com

Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1699 fault and other issues. Help!!

Hi
Although, been a member of this helpful site for some years, this is my first post(question) so not sure if it is in the right place.
My brothers S Type (2005 3.0) had the dreaded hot air continuously blowing through vents, so the DCCV was replaced and a used heater control module sourced, same part number.
After taking the old one old and connecting the replaced unit I did a quick test and all seem to be working correctly, so I put all the trim back together. I then went to switch on again.
The blower no longer works, on the instrument panel a Park brake fault comes up also cruise not available, The electronic brakes are stuck on and will not release when in gear.
When switching of ignition and removing key the front lights come on and stay on, also the petrol gauge still shows fuel as would when in operation.
I have checked all fuses and pulled all relays out, as I suspected a sticking relay, but no difference. disconnected battery for some 12 hours and no difference. Battery now disconnected as lights would come on !
Can't even take it anywhere as brakes are locked on, my code reader shows P1699.
I re installed original heater module and now that one does not even blow hot air, as if no power, when ignition is switched on there is a clicking sound coming from instrument panel for about 10 secs.
Any thoughts, help will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Tony

Last edited by Roulette666; 01-23-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: wanted to put 'thanks' in
Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a power fault.

Suspect #1 is the actual battery. Should be at least 12.6V at its terminals.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'm not sure anyone will know. (I doubt it needs programming/etc.)

Has the RCCM got good power, ground, etc?

It may be worth either getting your own Jag diag tool (Mongoose JLR + IDS/SDD) or a shop with one to see if the RCCM can be detected/etc. Depends a bit on the used RCCM price.
Ditto this....need sdd.ids to read the module and network communication...possible to reflash the module as being a new configuration...I had to do a reflash on my audio module as being new to make it part of the network again...sdd will see right away if module is communicating properly or not

Old 01-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Roulette666
Hi
Although, been a member of this helpful site for some years, this is my first post(question) so not sure if it is in the right place.
My brothers S Type (2005 3.0) had the dreaded hot air continuously blowing through vents, so the DCCV was replaced and a used heater control module sourced, same part number.
After taking the old one old and connecting the replaced unit I did a quick test and all seem to be working correctly, so I put all the trim back together. I then went to switch on again.
The blower no longer works, on the instrument panel a Park brake fault comes up also cruise not available, The electronic brakes are stuck on and will not release when in gear.
When switching of ignition and removing key the front lights come on and stay on, also the petrol gauge still shows fuel as would when in operation.
I have checked all fuses and pulled all relays out, as I suspected a sticking relay, but no difference. disconnected battery for some 12 hours and no difference. Battery now disconnected as lights would come on !
Can't even take it anywhere as brakes are locked on, my code reader shows P1699.
I re installed original heater module and now that one does not even blow hot air, as if no power, when ignition is switched on there is a clicking sound coming from instrument panel for about 10 secs.
Any thoughts, help will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
Try this to release the parking brake....with the ignition on, push down on the release and keep it pushed down while turning the ignition off and removing the key...this bypasses the auto set feature...if this does not work then deeper troubleshooting is needed....as JagV8 stated, make sure your battery is good

Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Scott, most likely the battery was ran down while you were replacing the CCM, doors open??

Anyways, classic case of drained battery charge or replace!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks for info, will firstly charge battery. quite right door was open during the dismantle of trim and module. Also will try the park release with release sequence.

I will reply with results
Thanks

Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully it will charge but bear in mind it may be damaged and hold a lot less than it should. If so, the various faults will not go away or will return soon.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 AM

An update, eventually had a new battery fitted today and unfortunately no difference.
Now will try a mobile diagnostic technician to have a look.