Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Control Arm Assembly - Rear Left/Right (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/control-arm-assembly-rear-left-right-276283/)

ampiko 12-30-2023 05:21 PM

Control Arm Assembly - Rear Left/Right

Greetings,
I have a 2003 S-Type R. The mechanic told me that I need to replace the Rear Control Arms Upper+Lower with Ball joints. (Moog, Detroit axle, TrueDrive)
I found a couple of Rear-Upper assembly with Bushings+Ball joint. However, I cannot find any for Rear-Lower that Includes the Ball Joint . Perhaps there is No Ball joint for Rear-Lower ? Please Advise Thanks

xalty 12-31-2023 12:15 PM

no ball joint on the lower

S-Type Owner 12-31-2023 06:35 PM

Be careful in selecting replacement bushings for the lower control arms, if you decide to go that route. There are some erroneous listings that (i believe) started with Moog and were replicated all over the internet,

kr98664 12-31-2023 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ampiko (Post 2708085)
I cannot find any for Rear-Lower that Includes the Ball Joint . Perhaps there is No Ball joint for Rear-Lower ?

Are you planning to have your mechanic do the work and supply the parts yourself? If so, I don’t recommend that combination. It’s generally best to let the mechanic supply the parts, too.

Even if you can save a little money doing so, there’s a big potential downside. Let’s say something acts up a few months down the road, still within a typical warranty period. Your mechanic will quickly say the part was at fault, not his work. You are now responsible to supply any needed replacement, plus pay for the labor. If the mechanic had supplied the part, he’d still be responsible for the whole thing.

ampiko 12-31-2023 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner (Post 2708379)
Be careful in selecting replacement bushings for the lower control arms, if you decide to go that route. There are some erroneous listings that (i believe) started with Moog and were replicated all over the internet,

Thanks. i am replacing the complete assembly

ampiko 12-31-2023 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664 (Post 2708387)
Are you planning to have your mechanic do the work and supply the parts yourself? If so, I don’t recommend that combination. It’s generally best to let the mechanic supply the parts, too.

Even if you can save a little money doing so, there’s a big potential downside. Let’s say something acts up a few months down the road, still within a typical warranty period. Your mechanic will quickly say the part was at fault, not his work. You are now responsible to supply any needed replacement, plus pay for the labor. If the mechanic had supplied the part, he’d still be responsible for the whole thing.

the mechanic doesn't want to find the parts :) and i don't want to spend OEM money. Any recommendation on somewhat dependable after market brands ? Thanks

xalty 01-06-2024 06:21 PM

get aftermarket arms for a lincoln ls

or arms for an 05+ and washers to take up the space