S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant expansion tank lower hose spring clip

Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant expansion tank lower hose spring clip

I have replaced the coolant expansion tank on my S type jag. In the process I have lost the spring clip that holds the lower hose onto the expansion tank. To get another spring clip I must purchase the complete hose ($$$). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attached the hose or where I can get this spring clip. Possible there is another vehicle that uses this type of clip.
Thanks
Keith 2006 S Type

Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Scrapyard / ebay breaker.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I did exactly the same thing the first time I removed mine. I temporarily held it in place with a jubilee clip and an assortment of cable ties and duct tape, which held perfectly well but wasn't pretty. I trawled ebay for a similar clip and even bought a couple of possibles to bend to shape which turned out to be too thick. It's worth dropping the undertray to look because I found mine when I changed the oil.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

A small, extendible magnet, like an old car antenna with magnet on the end, will be most useful in locating/retrieving it. And patience....lots of patience...

Otherwise, the proper gauge safety wire, and a pair of twisty pliers should do it. I've successfully simulated similar style electrical spring clips with safety wire.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith12
I have replaced the coolant expansion tank on my S type jag. In the process I have lost the spring clip that holds the lower hose onto the expansion tank. To get another spring clip I must purchase the complete hose ($$$). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attached the hose or where I can get this spring clip. Possible there is another vehicle that uses this type of clip.
Thanks
Keith 2006 S Type
I went through this already.

You want to know the cheapest and easiest thing to do besides a wrecking yard?

JUST BUY THE GD HOSE.

You will never find the clip, black holes were first discovered in that engine compartment. I had a lot of stuff out of the front of that car fixing leaks in the tranny cooler and engine oil cooler lines plus updating all the belt idler bearings. I never found it!

I spent a LOT of time on the internet and found what I thought to be an identical clip on a Dorman replacement hose for something else. It looks identical and it snaps beautifully in place.

But ... it turns out the wire is minisculely smaller in diameter, you can't see it until you put a micrometer on it! That's enough to allow that connection to leak!

So just buy the hose AND ... put a safety retaining wire on it so that when it goes SPROING ... it will not fly away! Mine didn't do that the first time but it sure did the second time.

That safety wire tip should be a sticky on here IMHO.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,746 Posts

What about the one on the old hose?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
What about the one on the old hose?
I don't think the old pipe has been replaced just the tank ,
The clip will be between the radiator and the fan shroud , that's were thay seem to always go , I bought my STR with an assortment of cable ties holding it on ,
I purchesed a v6 pipe as it was way cheeper than the STR pipe and my pipe looked like new .
Any way a wile later I removed my undertray and the old clip was sticking out through the gap . But I've since given the spair clip to a friend that also needed one , from memory the v6 pipe was only $150nzd

Last edited by Datsports; 04-26-2017 at 07:08 PM.