S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked defroster / demister vent panel

Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked defroster / demister vent panel

I've read a lot about the common issue of a cracked defroster/demister vent panel. I checked the price of a new panel and also (half-heartedly) looked for a used one, although I worried about ending up with the same issue later. Not to mention the effort required to actually replace the panel once I had the part.

I toyed with the idea of simply buying a dash cover to hide the cracked panel, but didn't like the look of a gigantic cover over the entire dash. So I reached out to a manufacturer to ask if they would be willing to do a semi-customs version of an S-Type Jaguar, based on the regular dash cover they offered. They agreed!

So I wanted to pass along this option to other Jag enthusiasts, in case you face the same dilemma. The photo (attached) doesn't really do it justice, but I think you get the idea.

Here's link to purchase from their online shop: Dash Cover - Jaguar S Type 2000-2002 *Defrost Vent Arear Only!

Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails Cracked defroster / demister vent panel-defroster-vent-dash-cover.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by bendebusk:
Datsports (07-29-2017), Grant Francis (07-21-2018), Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-17-2017), Paula Vecchiarelli (06-10-2019), ranger30red (09-27-2018), Warspite (10-18-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Wow, looks good.

If you decide you need a used replacement demister panel I have one, in charcoal for 2000-2002 S Type. I was going to replace mine but sold the car.

PM me if interested.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks, abonano. My interior is cashmere (tan). But you can't really tell in the photo.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a great idea. Living in Arizona, I bought a dash cover mainly to protect the demister panel, only find it was cut out in most of that area

The following users liked this post:
Paula Vecchiarelli (06-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a cool cover. One of the defroster vents on my 2003 X-Type broke and the cost of replacing it is ridiculous. Your cover is a nice alternative. Having said that, I called the company that manufactured yours and they indicated that they did it per a customer request, likely you, but did not work and will not do it again; very surprising.
How is that cover working for you? Is it carpet, velour or suede? Do you know of another supplier that has something like it but for the X-Type? The other option is to go to an upholstery shop and see if they can cut the pattern (should not be too difficult) and trim the edges...probably more expensive than buying the part from Jaguar.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 PM

That's too bad. I had some back and forth with the manufacturer until we had the right pattern. Then when I ordered the new design, they ended up shipping the whole dash cover, instead of the custom product. That frustrated the guy with whom I was working. But they sent me the custom version (carpet-style) and told me to keep the other one too. So they may be gun-shy trying to do this for another model.

If the pattern already existed somewhere online, it'd probably be an easy thing to get produced. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bendebusk
That's too bad. I had some back and forth with the manufacturer until we had the right pattern. Then when I ordered the new design, they ended up shipping the whole dash cover, instead of the custom product. That frustrated the guy with whom I was working. But they sent me the custom version (carpet-style) and told me to keep the other one too. So they may be gun-shy trying to do this for another model.

If the pattern already existed somewhere online, it'd probably be an easy thing to get produced. Sorry I can't be of more help!
I don't know, I used the link you gave and ordered one on August 16, they processed it, as of yet I have not heard anymore so I am assuming they are going to do it. I'll let you know and thanks for the effort.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bendebusk

Thanks Bendebusk.

How difficult can it be to get a new pattern? Just take the full pattern and cut the portion close to the windshield...I would think...

I wonder if the one for the S-Type would work for the X-type? I believe that with the X-Type defroster vent cracking issue they could sell a fair number of them.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 PM

triad_ajr - I think the issue was that they did not want to try to create a pattern for another Jag model. As far as I knew (and you confirmed) they would continue selling the version they designed for me.

VTGBoss - I agree....it should be an easy thing. But I think the process of creating a new product left a bad taste in their mouth. I also agree that it could be a money-maker if they would do this for several Jag models that have the cracking problem. For them, though, it might be just a small niche.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, I got the velour pad and it fits really well on my 2003 also. Thanks again for the info

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM

triad_ajr - I'm glad this worked out for you! I was glad to have found this "solution" and share it with others!

Old 10-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will contact them to see if I can get one for my s-type. Cheers..Dave.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

I just ordered one. How can you go wrong for $30.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

My experience with dash covers is mixed.

My son's 01 mitsubishi eclipse also suffers from the cracked dash demister, however the dash is a one piece unit and I thought the Jaguar plastic was bad.

Cosmetically it makes a difference but the dash still rattles... But not spending $600 to source a replacement dash assembly.

I remember my cracked demister in my 00 S Type was soooo annoying. One crack turned into three right across the middle.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Hi mate, i have just purchased a LHS dash mat from the USA. I intend having it cut back and stitched by a trimmer to just cover the de-mister grill. That way it will still look cool and I avoid the LHS problems. It is so hard to find someone who does the RHS versions. Good luck & make sure you change the fuel filter every few years... Cheers... Dave.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Panel Cover

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I just ordered one. How can you go wrong for $30.
Could you please tell me wherw to order that cover.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Old 07-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Hi, here is the link I tried but they wouldn't ship it to me in Australia.
Dash Cover - Jaguar S Type 2000-2002 *Defrost Vent Arear Only!
I did get one on Ebay from the US but it was poor quality.
I bit the bullet and and had one custom made by a motor trimmer.
It cost me $150 but it looks sensational and fits like a glove.
My advice..... Spend the money and get one you will be happy with... Cheers

Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type

Would this work on an X-Type dash? Or are the vent locations too far off?

Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whoops

Sorry - I checked - they have one specifically for the X-type

The following users liked this post:
Dave1963 (08-28-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked defroster / demister vent panel