S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dead Battery, Trunk wont open - ALMOST RESOLVED THANKS to YOU

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! I wanted to THANK each and every one of you that answered on this Thread. I also want to mention s couple interesting (to me, anyway) tidbits I learned:

1> The local Jag Dealer Service Dept told me I would not find a positive post to power the trunk in the passenger wheel well - You said they were wrong, and YES they were. I got the tire off, removed the liner and there it was. It allowed me to get enough power to the trunk to get it open.

2> I was able to jump start the car and I ran it for a while, then turned it off and back on. Tomorrow morning I will see if it has held a charge. A new battery is probably in the offing but that's okay as I know I can jump start it now.

3> A few things in the car are acting oddly now - like the Parking Break Fault Indicator is on for no discernable reason and the radio is on but no sound..but I think I read that weird stuff will happen upon re powering a dead battery so Im not too worried. I will figure out the stereo tomorrow. hopefully.

All in All a very successful day, Im leaps and bounds ahead of where I was this morning and it's all due to YOU GUYS! Thank you, Thank you SO MUCH!

OK I love my jaguar....but I HATE the Jaguar designers today. I mean really - who makes the trunk access dependent upon the electrical system working and then puts the battery in the trunk, which......wait for it ....will NOT OPEN when the battery is dead!

Before you say "Use the Key" - Let me tell you that I have already tried the key and it wont open the trunk - a secondary problem which is adding to my frustration level today.

PLEASE Oh Jaguar Gurus!!! The local Dealer has been no help in answering the below questions - I swear Ive called Service 3 times and each time gotten conflicting answers! Im leaving having my baby towed 50 miles as a last resort. What's a girl to do????

The Car: 2004 S Type R.

I would love someone to be so kind as to tell me:

1. Is there a secondary positive post in the engine compartment which I can use to jump the car? Im not trying to fry my electrical system so Im not too hip on trying to jimmy a jump by using the fuse posts or whatever. I read online that there is a jump post behind the passenger wheel well liner, but the Service guy at the Dealer seems to think not. I also read that there is a post in teh engine compartment but again another service guy poo poo'd that.

2. Is there any way to get into the trunk, without the key (see above) when the battery is deader than poop? Ive no idea why the battery went dry overnight, but to not be able to get to it because I cant get the trunk open is driving me to consider beating the trunk lid with a golf club!

My single biggest issue at the moment is the trunk access - once I can GET TO THE BATTERY I can go buy a new one and convince my neighbor to install it for me. Yes, Im willing to bat my eyelashes and feed him dinner for free battery install - dont judge me!

Thank you SO much for any advice!

- Diana

Last edited by SunnyDay; 07-31-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: to update progress
The following users liked this post:
Rob2004XJ8VandenPlas (01-26-2014)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm new to Jags, and I have an XJ8, not an S-Type, but I would imagine they have the same type of valet key system. The valet key will not open the trunk - don't hate me for asking, but are you trying to open the trunk with a green-headed key rather than a black-headed key?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Easiest first step is to try a spray can of aerosol lubricant in the trunk lock. It is problably stuck because it was never used.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes. Remove the passenger front wheel well plastic liner. Behind that you will find a large red plastic cap. Remove this and attach your positive jumper lead.

This is NOT required as the key will mechanically unlock the trunk. The key hole is hidden. Did you find it or are you pushing buttons on the key FOB?

The keyhole is completely hidden if you don't know where it's at!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

On mine it's below the U of the word J A G U A R on the rear of the trunk lid.

Well worth using it once or twice a year to keep it in working order.

Bad Cattitude (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Default On Various Responses - thank you

To those who asked - YES I have tried the key in the hidden trunk key hole; in fact Ive tried BOTH keys. I wondered if I somehow got 2 valet keys - but the Parts guy at the Jag dealer tells me that it's a MYTH about the green (valet) versus black (normal) keys - he says the difference is a small divet cut in the head of the normal keys; that's all. He says the green keys were simply an older style...who knows, either way in my case I have two keys, one green and one not and neither is opening the trunk.

I bought the car and never tested the key in the trunk (bc I used the fob or button, right!) and so just found out the hard way that my keys wont open it (altho they do open the door key hole).

I am advised today to call a locksmith and if that doesnt work to have the back seat removed. Jaguar Service of Bellevue SWEARS that there is NO battery prong in the engine or in the passenger wheel well in this model. Not that I totally trust them. lol

Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Default reply to NORRI

Originally Posted by Norri
Hey Thank you! I was told this method runs a huge risk of frying your electrical system / onboard brain?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

I would say no, the risk is really no different than if you were to hook up the jumper cables to the battery itself,

Once you have the jumpers hooked up to that spot, you're not even starting or cranking the car and even come close to frying anything important,

you'll hook up the cables, pop the trunk, remove cables, access battery,

Otherwise...

In you trunk, you have an emergency release handle you can pull in order to open the trunk from the inside,

Using the ski-pass-through inside the cabin to access the trunk, see if you can find a way to reach far enough to pull it?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Actually, if the battery were in a low state of charge, you could potentially blow a fuse or overload the wiring.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-30-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Originally Posted by tbird6
Yes. Remove the passenger front wheel well plastic liner. Behind that you will find a large red plastic cap. Remove this and attach your positive jumper lead.

This is NOT required as the key will mechanically unlock the trunk. The key hole is hidden. Did you find it or are you pushing buttons on the key FOB?

The keyhole is completely hidden if you don't know where it's at!
Yes I know where it is - for some odd and very annoying reason neither of my keys will open the trunk...a problem that would merely be puzzling if I didnt really, really need them to open it right now!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
I would say no, the risk is really no different than if you were to hook up the jumper cables to the battery itself,

Once you have the jumpers hooked up to that spot, you're not even starting or cranking the car and even come close to frying anything important,

you'll hook up the cables, pop the trunk, remove cables, access battery,

Otherwise...

In you trunk, you have an emergency release handle you can pull in order to open the trunk from the inside,

Using the ski-pass-through inside the cabin to access the trunk, see if you can find a way to reach far enough to pull it?
THE SKI PASS THRU!! I didnt even think to remove the canvas glove thing for the skis and see if I can reach the emergency pull. It will take some maneuvering and maybe an arm extender of some sort but that's a real lead - thank you!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by SunnyDay
To those who asked - YES I have tried the key in the hidden trunk key hole; in fact Ive tried BOTH keys. I wondered if I somehow got 2 valet keys - but the Parts guy at the Jag dealer tells me that it's a MYTH about the green (valet) versus black (normal) keys - he says the difference is a small divet cut in the head of the normal keys; that's all. He says the green keys were simply an older style...who knows, either way in my case I have two keys, one green and one not and neither is opening the trunk.
It sounds like you might have a somewhat viable option with the ski pass-through. I just wanted to comment that, though as I mentioned before about having an XJ8 rather than an S-Type, I find it fascinating what your dealer said about the green-headed valet keys being a myth. At least for the XJ8, the user manual and any other documentation I've run across specifically differentiate the keys by the head color (green being valet), and the whole idea of the valet key is that it won't open the trunk (though I know you have both and neither are working). Interesting. Might be something to look into later, after you accomplish the most important task of getting the trunk open! :-)

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by BillDJohnson
It sounds like you might have a somewhat viable option with the ski pass-through. I just wanted to comment that, though as I mentioned before about having an XJ8 rather than an S-Type, I find it fascinating what your dealer said about the green-headed valet keys being a myth. At least for the XJ8, the user manual and any other documentation I've run across specifically differentiate the keys by the head color (green being valet), and the whole idea of the valet key is that it won't open the trunk (though I know you have both and neither are working). Interesting. Might be something to look into later, after you accomplish the most important task of getting the trunk open! :-)

Let us know how it turns out.
Bil. Im with you - I tend to believe that the Parts guy is wrong about that. HE seemed to think that my model didnt come with valet keys at all - I do have the Valet button in the glove box tho. I wil let you know how the Ski Pass thru idea works - I think I wil have to destroy the canvas glove thing and there feels to be some sort of plastic plate behind it (feeling from inside the back seat)....I know I will laugh about this later but right now Im not laughing! Well, at least Im still smiling!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

See if your local cars parts store has a battery charger that works via the cigarette lighter socket. Plug it in, turn the ignition to the accessory position and this will give the car enough juice to pop the trunk.

Then get key/lock fixed.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Well there is a jumper post in the front wheel well for just this reason. If your dealer does not know this I would be worried. Take off the big red cap and hook up the positive jumper lead.

Don't tear your car up if it's not needed!!

Attached Thumbnails Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!-fenderwell-jumper-post.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by tbird6:
JimC64 (08-01-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2013), SunnyDay (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
See if your local cars parts store has a battery charger that works via the cigarette lighter socket. Plug it in, turn the ignition to the accessory position and this will give the car enough juice to pop the trunk.

Then get key/lock fixed.
I own a trickle charger (2 amps) that I can hook into the cig lighter; I tried this and blew the fuse on teh cig lighter. Ive bought new ones BUT - My (non jag) mechanic and a male friend said NOT to do this tho bc it is designed to put put amps, not receive them. So now Im nervous to replace the fuses and try again.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, tbird6, but it's probably not even necessary to "jump" the car. In other words, just hook cables from another vehicle's battery and open the trunk (no need to actually start the other car) Very low risk, other than making sure you hook positive to positive and negative to negative.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by tbird6
Well there is a jumper post in the front wheel well for just this reason. If your dealer does not know this I would be worried. Take off the big red cap and hook up the positive jumper lead.

Don't tear your car up if it's not needed!!

Thats an S TYPE??? WOW - you are right - That doesn't speak well of Bellevue Jaguar Service Department. Ok maybe I just need to go coerce my neighbor into jacking up my car, removing the tire, etc. Man, this is gonna cost me a NICE dinner, not pizza. *hee hee*

Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

By all reports, there *is* a power stud behind the right front wheelwell. And even if there is not, a jumper can be attached at the starter positive post by crawling under the car.

You do not want to jump start the car ... the point of supplying power is to be able to use the remote to gain access to the trunk, and then charge the battery while the trunk is open.

If the key spins without unlocking the trunk you may indeed have two valet keys. The difference between a master and service key is that the very tip of the key shaft is smaller on the master key. A service key can be converted to a master key by filing the tip down at the sides.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!