Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does K&N Filter increase performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Brutal,

So now some new Jag owners with dual air filters have to make certain they obtain and install two filter elements that were manufactured on the same day? Sheesh, this is getting ridiculous....

Wonder what's next? Maybe having to thoroughly wipe your feet, painstakingly clean the interior of the windshield, and verbally wish your Jag a hearty good day before it will start up first thing in the morning....

I miss the cars of the 1960s more and more with each passing year....
no theyre only sold now in pairs, in 1 box with the same dates

Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAYT2
Not to sound rude, but is this hp measured on a dyno?
You do realize that butt hp is vastly different from dyno hp.
Yes, the changes were measured on a dyno on the same day (approx 25 minutes to install, so temp, humidity, etc were pretty close...). The 1999 Maxima SE gained approx 12.5 peak horsepower with a modified Cold air intake and K&N from Stillen. My SRT8 Charger gained less, approx. 10 peak HP, but the tests were performed on different days.

My butt dyno is not very calibrated... The ear dyno on the GMC Yukon XL sure likes the sound of the Airaid set up, but I have not dyno'd it...

Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Brutal,
That looks to be a nitrous system ported into the sides of that SuperRam setup. Is that a 2 stage system? That's interesting. I've never seen nitrous routed through the plenum in that particular way.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidz
Brutal,
That looks to be a nitrous system ported into the sides of that SuperRam setup. Is that a 2 stage system? That's interesting. I've never seen nitrous routed through the plenum in that particular way.
no, single stage, but I have it controlled by the Accel super ram Ecu and I can set its on/off time based on rpm and TPS with my laptop. and power levels are set will jet for NOS and fuel. it makes for a very surprising 5500# yellow brick at over 650hp with the 300 shot jets in place. And I welded bungs into the side and tapped them for the fogger nozzles, and theyre dirrectly over each port in the plenum.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
no, single stage, but I have it controlled by the Accel super ram Ecu and I can set its on/off time based on rpm and TPS with my laptop. and power levels are set will jet for NOS and fuel. it makes for a very surprising 5500# yellow brick at over 650hp with the 300 shot jets in place. And I welded bungs into the side and tapped them for the fogger nozzles, and theyre dirrectly over each port in the plenum.
Very cool. I know lots of people that use the Superram as the hot setup for their L98 SBC engines. They're supposed to make good power at the upper rpm range without a significant loss on the low end. Nice work.

Back to your regularly scheduled K&N thread.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
I run K&N filter in everything from the race car(not pictured with the 9" tall K&N), to the Suburban, the Jag and the custom 400hp engine build I just did on the Nissan truck. 10-20hp is not uncommon for a COLD AIR INTAKE kit with K&N filter. It does give better filtration and performance, but youre not gonna feel the performance increase from even the most calibrated butt dyno, it just not enough. But you have to ask yourself, is the money worth it for synthetic oil? hipo tires, brakes, exhaust, heck if you look at the costs of a Jaguar, you can buy a couple other cars for the price. Ive never ever seen an issue with MAFS is the filter is maintained properly(not over oiled) you can also use dry ones as well. That being said, on the new Jaguars with DUAL air filters, we are seeing issues with cold start running and idle because the OEM filter are manufactured on different days. The filter media has a slightly different flow imbalance which is causing MAFS imbalances from side to side, so on these I wouldnt recommend. The fix is installing OEM in matched sets that have the same day of manufacture stamped on the sides. Otherwise I use K&N's in everything.

Hi Brutal,

Those are some damn fine engines! I'm guessing the V6 is the peewee of the bunch at a mere 400 hp. The Stillen setup looks really nice. What's the top-rated engine (big-block Chevy) pulling, around 800 or so?