Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Driving without belly pan (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/driving-without-belly-pan-44255/)

Dirk Bailey 10-22-2010 10:37 AM

Driving without belly pan

I'm trying to locate a minor leak. Any risk of driving without the belly pan for a week or so.

JimC64 10-22-2010 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 176162

Hey Dirk, I'm guessing you mean the splash guard? plastic under tray that locates under the engine bay area and is held on by little plastic screws into the underside?
If this is the case ( please someone else clarify ) I really wouldn't imagine so....It doesn't really protect anything as such but more keeps the engine area clean:)

carelm 10-22-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64 (Post 259520)
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...0802/car01.jpg

Hey Dirk, I'm guessing you mean the splash guard? plastic under tray that locates under the engine bay area and is held on by little plastic screws into the underside?
If this is the case ( please someone else clarify ) I really wouldn't imagine so....It doesn't really protect anything as such but more keeps the engine area clean:)

Jim,

That's pretty much it although the piece is fairly good size. For a short period of time (one week or so) I wouldn't see much harm. For a longer duration I would not recommend it as the belly pan also protects the various electronic bits from getting wet.

Mike

JagV8 10-22-2010 11:33 AM

It probably improves air flow as well as keeping things clean and somewhat protected (from wet, stones etc), but I guess it should be OK running without it for a while.

Finding a leak may be harder, because the air (and any rain) will swirl around and drag at the leaked material. Worth a try, though.

Delta66 10-22-2010 11:34 AM

I drove around for a month not knowing that mine was still in the garage after they had removed it for the service and to trace a leak. I did not notice any difference at all. I am surprised at that as it is packed with soundproofing, (diesel version) but it would maybe only noticeable standing outside the car on startup.

It was during the summer and the bay did not get dirty at all.

JagV8 10-22-2010 11:55 AM

I'm surprised the undershield would be sound-proofed on the diesel. It's not on any of the other cars, AFAIK.

Jon89 10-22-2010 11:56 AM

I would drive around without the undertray for a day or so (and have done so while working to solve various issues), but I wouldn't do it for extended periods of time. Your HVAC compressor sits very low in your engine bay, and so do a couple of shielded HVAC hoses that are stupidly routed just below the oil filter. Both of these areas are well-protected when your undertray is in position. Stay on pavement and watch out for debris in the road if you're out there with no undertray. Murphy's Law, you know....

joycesjag 10-22-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89 (Post 259547)
I would drive around without the undertray for a day or so (and have done so while working to solve various issues), but I wouldn't do it for extended periods of time. Your HVAC compressor sits very low in your engine bay, and so do a couple of shielded HVAC hoses that are stupidly routed just below the oil filter. Both of these areas are well-protected when your undertray is in position. Stay on pavement and watch out for debris in the road if you're out there with no undertray. Murphy's Law, you know....

+1 on what Jon typed up!

I drove around for a week without Joyces, trying to figure out an oin leak, turned out it was the oil pan gasket.

carelm 10-22-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Delta66 (Post 259536)
I drove around for a month not knowing that mine was still in the garage after they had removed it for the service and to trace a leak. I did not notice any difference at all. I am surprised at that as it is packed with soundproofing, (diesel version) but it would maybe only noticeable standing outside the car on startup.

It was during the summer and the bay did not get dirty at all.

Delta66,

This must have been during the Scottish Dry Season.:icon_teeth:

Mike

Norri 10-22-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by carelm (Post 259554)
Delta66,

This must have been during the Scottish Dry Season.:icon_teeth:

Mike

I think that is one afternoon in July. :icon_wink:

bogart 11-19-2010 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8 (Post 259546)
I'm surprised the undershield would be sound-proofed on the diesel. It's not on any of the other cars, AFAIK.

More likely to be an oil absorbing pad, I know on my Volvos it just there to catch any fluid drips from the engine compartment.

Staatsof 11-19-2010 04:22 AM

I don't know if it's different than the one on my 05 STR but on mine it looks like a miniature skyline of a city with all kinds of molded square projections on it of differing heights. I think it is indeed an airflow as well as a sound deadening design. Mine also has an air inlet on the bottom as well as extreme heat insulation at the rear near the exhaust.

I'm curious how they determined where to vary the size and height of all of those squares. It looks rather like a blown up image of a digital approximation of gentle rolling hills.

Mine just had a lot of sand and stuff in it.

Bob S.

bfsgross 11-19-2010 05:50 AM

When my mechanic removed my STR's belly pan a family of illegal immigrants jumped down and scurried away?

Michael Star 11-19-2010 06:47 AM

Back on my 540i, there is a small access hole for the oil drain plug (wish Jag had the same feature). I went to change my oil one day and a dead, oily mouse dropped out of the hole. On me. It was nasty.

Mafioso 11-19-2010 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Star (Post 271586)
Back on my 540i, there is a small access hole for the oil drain plug (wish Jag had the same feature). I went to change my oil one day and a dead, oily mouse dropped out of the hole. On me. It was nasty.

Talk to BP about that? MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

tbird6 11-19-2010 09:16 AM

bfsgross:
I don't care who you are, but that's funny!!
Thanks for that!

Enthusiast 11-19-2010 10:43 AM

Illegal immigrants? Oh how un-PC. LOL.

The Chris X 11-19-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross (Post 271550)
When my mechanic removed my STR's belly pan a family of illegal immigrants jumped down and scurried away?

Priceless....

Well bfs, this should definitely improve your 0-60 time and your 1/4 mile! Less weight....

When I had my tray off for oil change and messing around, there was this hose hanging down that had a stopper stuffed in the end. I don't remember what it went to. Anybody else notice that? Looked like a vent hose or something.

bfsgross 11-19-2010 01:17 PM

Probably trans. vent tube. LOL! "...a family of illegal immigrants jumped down and scurried away?" What a nut?

bogart 11-19-2010 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by The Chris X (Post 271735)
Priceless....

Well bfs, this should definitely improve your 0-60 time and your 1/4 mile! Less weight....

When I had my tray off for oil change and messing around, there was this hose hanging down that had a stopper stuffed in the end. I don't remember what it went to. Anybody else notice that? Looked like a vent hose or something.

Just had mine off today also. And yes I've got what looks like a 1/2 inch hose with a stopper in it. Also what are the plastic bags attached to the cover meant to do? And lastly there are two large apertures in the cover plus a small hole directly in the middle should this have a stopper? I always thought the shield was to stop oil drips etc, must admit mine was somewhat oily, so why all the holes in it?